Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Whew! questions  (Read 9133 times)

wdm1219inpenna

Whew! questions
« on: June 04, 2013, 06:47:22 AM »

Recently I found several \"Whew!\" episodes from 1979.  I have only had a chance to view 2 episodes so far, but every time, the blocker won the round.

My question is, are there any overall statistics for the 13 months the show was on the air showing what percentage of the rounds were won by the blocker and the charger?  I remember when Blockbusters went off in 1982, Bill Cullen mentioned specific percentages of wins by solo players vs. family pairs, and while it wasn\'t a 50/50 split, it was surprisingly pretty even.

Also, I read on wikipedia (which I know shouldn\'t be a \"go to\" source) the reason \"Whew!\" was canceled was because it was up against \"The Hollywood Squares\" on NBC.  Squares was canceled June 20, 1980, just 1 month after \"Whew!\" was canceled.  Can I assume CBS had no idea that Hollywood Squares would be off in June?  I would like to believe if they did know this, they would have petitioned CBS to keep \"Whew!\" on a bit longer. 

Thank you,

Bill

Jimmy Owen

Whew! questions
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 08:24:33 AM »

When Letterman was proposed, there was some ambiguity on which shows would go off.  As it turned out H-Q lost two shows and Bob Stewart one.  G-T and Merv kept their shows.  The 5-a week prime access version of Hollywood Squares was offered during NATPE 80, so H-Q must have seen the writing on the wall.  CBS went back to sitcom programming from 10-11, perhaps to take advantage of the soon-to-come changes on NBC to talk programming.

Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

aaron sica

Whew! questions
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 10:55:27 AM »

When Letterman was proposed, there was some ambiguity on which shows would go off.  As it turned out H-Q lost two shows and Bob Stewart one.  G-T and Merv kept their shows.  The 5-a week prime access version of Hollywood Squares was offered during NATPE 80, so H-Q must have seen the writing on the wall.  CBS went back to sitcom programming from 10-11, perhaps to take advantage of the soon-to-come changes on NBC to talk programming.

CBS had already made one sitcom move, though, months before - the 10-11 game show hour got cut in half back in February of 1980, when \"The Jeffersons\" replaced :\"Beat the Clock\"...Which IIRC, was getting soundly beaten by \"Card Sharks\" anyway?

Ian Wallis

Whew! questions
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 04:42:31 PM »

My best guess is that CBS probably found it cheaper to run repeats of Alice, since Whew! wasn\'t exactly drawing blockbuster ratings.  The incentive for them would be to burn off the five years (at that point) of episodes in daytime before it hit syndication.

Had Whew! been a bigger hit, it likely wouldn\'t have happened.

For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

wdm1219inpenna

Whew! questions
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 02:00:40 PM »

Another question I thought of when watching the show on youtube...

If a player gets to level six, not using the LongShot, if they miss the 2 bloopers on line 6 and hit the block, and there is still time left on the clock, does the charger win the round?  I know if a charger used up all 5 boxes on one row and didn\'t get a blooper right, they automatically advanced to the next level.  I wasn\'t sure if there was a similar rule that applied to level 6, and if so, if this ever actually happened.

Thank you again...

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Whew! questions
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 02:12:37 PM »
What do you think the answer is, William?
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Whew! questions
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 02:47:35 PM »

Another question I thought of when watching the show on youtube...

If a player gets to level six, not using the LongShot, if they miss the 2 bloopers on line 6 and hit the block, and there is still time left on the clock, does the charger win the round?  I know if a charger used up all 5 boxes on one row and didn\'t get a blooper right, they automatically advanced to the next level.  I wasn\'t sure if there was a similar rule that applied to level 6, and if so, if this ever actually happened.

Thank you again...

I\'m with Travis. You overthought this way too much.

Three spaces on line two. The last remaining space is the block if you missed the other two. That leaves you zero chance to win the round. What do you think happens then, there\'s a magic seventh level? That Tom Kennedy simply pushes a button like in Hole in One and it appears?

Come on, Bill. Even you have to scratch your head after you read what you wrote.

I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
Whew! questions
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 03:12:52 PM »

The previous posts are on point.  But from the contestant release:

4. Winning one game is defined as winning two rounds.  A round is won as a Charger by getting through the sixth level of the board (answering one blooper correctly on the sixth level) within 60-seconds.  A round is won as a Blocker when the Charger fails to do the above.

and

6. When charging, I may not proceed to the next level until I have correctly answered at least one blooper on that level or selected every blooper on that level.  The only exception is the sixth level, where a right answer is mandatory in order to win the round.

"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Whew! questions
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 03:27:05 PM »

I know if a charger used up all 5 boxes on one row and didn\'t get a blooper right, they automatically advanced to the next level. 

Realistically, can you use all five boxes in one row and not get one right and still have time to longshot?

Maybe if it\'s the first row, but I don\'t remember--do the bloopers go from easier to harder as you go up the board?

Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Whew! questions
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 03:31:03 PM »
No; difficulty increases from left to right, not down to up.
Travis L. Eberle

parliboy

Whew! questions
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 04:34:16 PM »

Realistically, can you use all five boxes in one row and not get one right and still have time to longshot?

Certainly.  Think logically: if you don\'t have time to get five wrong, would you have time to get six right?

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Whew! questions
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2013, 05:08:01 PM »

You would have time to get five wrong if you don\'t get any others wrong or run into a block along the way.  Also depends how much time you take in getting your five wrong.

Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Whew! questions
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2013, 05:27:11 PM »
If you hit three blocks and played two bloopers you could do that and have thirty seconds or so left depending if the bloopers were short. You would move up a level but your chance to win the round naturally would be almost nil.
Travis L. Eberle

parliboy

Whew! questions
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2013, 06:33:56 PM »

Your chance to win the round if calling longshot from level 2 would be exactly the same as if calling longshot from level 5.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Whew! questions
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2013, 06:37:27 PM »
That\'s why I said naturally, to differentiate between calling Longshot and not.
Travis L. Eberle