Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Check Game's back 6/20  (Read 12939 times)

golden-road

Check Game's back 6/20
« on: May 07, 2013, 05:33:38 PM »

WhammyPower

Check Game's back 6/20
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 08:36:19 PM »

Mike Richards tweeted a picture of it, in case you want any further proof.

Unrealtor

Check Game's back 6/20
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 09:44:55 PM »

I see that it got the video treatment while it was out of rotation as well, not that I\'m surprised by that at this point.

"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

JepMasta

Check Game's back 6/20
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 04:26:07 PM »
Ok, honestly I don\'t get the big deal with replacing the classic egg crate displays with video screens. I know it\'s something different, but video screens are more versatile, and are probably easier to run

Kevin Prather

Check Game's back 6/20
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 04:52:38 PM »

I don\'t think Unrealtor was knocking it, Brian, just pointing it out.

TimK2003

Check Game's back 6/20
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 06:40:37 PM »

So how many pricing games with eggcrate and/or vane displays are left?  Off the top of my head are:

• Race Game (I can see this one overhauled sooner than later)

• Switcheroo (a single monitor can show both the timer and the # right)

• Spelling Bee  (surprised that they never converted to the manual flip reveal method, ala Cliff Hangers, since I rarely see them show the \"difference\" number anymore).

• Line Em Up (single eggcrate display, no real need to convert this one).

• Magic # (considering the alleged long time needed in getting the game up and running, I\'m surprised this is still old school)

• Bullseye (love to see this one converted with a larger monitor showing the price and a little animation for the \"hits\" and \"misses\" on the target, plus this is one of the games that has gone the longest without a remodel)

• Check-Out

• The Big Wheel/Showcase Showdown

Ok, honestly I don\'t get the big deal with replacing the classic egg crate displays with video screens. I know it\'s something different, but video screens are more versatile, and are probably easier to run

Many of the foreign TPIR versions have been doing it since the late 90s at least, if not since the starts of the respective shows. Monitors are definitely more versatile and easier to run, and incandescent bulbs are gradually being phased out overall anyway.  I like how some fast food joints are going with \"cleaner-looking\" menu & pricing LCD-monitor boards rather than adhesive price stickers and rotating number wheels.

In TPIRs pre-monitor heyday, look at how many lightbulbs -- big and small, on sets and displays -- were used.  Had to be hundreds if not a several thousand, all totaled, and somebody had to screw all those puppies in and switch out the dead ones on a regular basis. 

« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 06:55:54 PM by TimK2003 »

JepMasta

Check Game's back 6/20
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 06:51:22 PM »
Balance game

JepMasta

Check Game's back 6/20
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 06:58:38 PM »
And I wasn\'t accusing anyone of anything, I\'m just getting so sick and tired of certain \"Price\" fans who see a flat screen or video display as the devil.  I remember having a conversation with one who once said that seeing a video screen on Plinko \"made my childhood die just a little\"

.........yeah

jmangin

Check Game's back 6/20
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 07:26:58 PM »

Was Time is Money the last game to debut with a prop that featured eggcrate readouts? 

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Check Game's back 6/20
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 07:31:08 PM »
I remember having a conversation with one who once said that seeing a video screen on Plinko \"made my childhood die just a little\"
For me there\'s no question here: that was when the center slot increased to $10,000.
Travis L. Eberle

Brian44

Check Game's back 6/20
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 07:57:22 PM »

Pass the Buck also uses eggrate displays.

WhammyPower

Check Game's back 6/20
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2013, 08:04:38 PM »

Dice Game is the only true SportsType display left... they could easily do something similar to Double Cross for that one.

Shopping Spree has the Vane-ish display at the top

Take Two has an Eggcrate for the total of the prizes picked.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Check Game's back 6/20
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2013, 08:46:02 PM »
What about Check Out?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Kevin Prather

Check Game's back 6/20
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2013, 08:49:13 PM »

Potentially stupid question, but I\'ll ask it anyway. At least back when so many of the pricing games had eggcrates (and perhaps now that they have monitors too), did every pricing game have its own eggcrate display that was married to the prop, or were they removable and shared among several games? Seems like the latter would be far more economical, though possibly more trouble.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Check Game's back 6/20
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2013, 09:50:24 PM »
 Seems like the latter would be far more economical, though possibly more trouble.

Go with the \"possibly more trouble\" thing. But augment it to WAY more trouble. Plus way more potential for mechanical problems. They were married to the prop, bank on it.

Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe