Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Help Me Run a Game Show: Pointless  (Read 9327 times)

Peter Sarrett

Help Me Run a Game Show: Pointless
« on: April 24, 2013, 04:56:05 PM »

Last year, many of you helped me run a massively multiplayer game of Family Feud by answering some survey questions.  Thank you!

This year I\'ll be running Pointless, and once again I need your help.  Please visit:

http://www.staticzombie.com/projects/pointless/pointless.php and either create a new account or, if you helped me with Family Feud last year, log in with your existing account.

Each question will take 100 seconds of your time, and you can answer as few or as many questions as you like (there are about 25 total).  Please forward the link to friends and family who you think might also be willing to help.

Thanks!

- Peter

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 05:45:13 PM »

Is there a reason it should be wonky in Firefox?  Because it is, for me at least.  When I try to go to a new question, I see blank space where I imagine the question ought to be.  I see the \'give up\' button below and I see the clock above, which is not counting down.

This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 05:48:27 PM »
Ditto: no topic, no joy. And the Feud survey script worked in Firefox.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 05:57:41 PM »

Usually this is the sort of thing Peter has me test for him, but I can\'t this time, as I am one of the \"and if you\'ll be playing this at BGG.CON or Sasquatch, leave now\" folks. :)

Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

nowhammies10

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 06:57:35 PM »

Chrome works fine.  Use that if possible.

Peter Sarrett

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 07:19:19 PM »

Researching the problem.  Will report here when fixed.  In the meantime, IE and Chrome should be working fine.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 07:28:54 PM »

Well, this is quickly turning into a barren source of amusement.

When I try to log in with Explorer, I press the \"login\" button, and all I get is a small entry field that appears right beside the \'login\' button.  If I hit the button again, a second entry field appears beside it, and on and on.  I can type things into the entry fields, but that doesn\'t appear to help my cause.  This was on two different computers, by the way, work and home.  I won\'t rule out that I\'m doing something wrong, but honestly, I\'m not a stupid person and I feel like it ought to be easier than this.  I don\'t happen to typically use Chrome, but I guess I\'ll give that a shot.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 07:41:23 PM »

Working fine in Chrome.  And it is as much fun as I thought it would be.  I came pretty close to single-handedly preventing a \"pointless\" answer on one question, but came up just a few answers short.

BrandonFG

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 08:04:06 PM »

I might have a similar problem to Matt\'s...the main page says you don\'t have to press Enter. As a result, when I type in answers, hitting Enter does nothing, but I ended up with a long string of various possible answers, and got 0/25.

I\'d like to think I\'m not that dim, but what am I doing wrong?

"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 08:33:10 PM »
I might have a similar problem to Matt\'s...the main page says you don\'t have to press Enter. As a result, when I type in answers, hitting Enter does nothing, but I ended up with a long string of various possible answers, and got 0/25.

I\'d like to think I\'m not that dim, but what am I doing wrong?

What I found is that if an answer\'s wrong (or misspelled), the entry field doesn\'t clear, so if you started with a wrong answer and keep going, all you have is one really, really long wrong answer.  You don\'t have to hit Enter for a correct answer.

At least I didn\'t.  In Chrome.

Peter Sarrett

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 09:04:00 PM »

OK, I believe I have fixed all the reported issues in Firefox and IE.  Those browsers, as well as Chrome, should now work.  Please report additional errors, and thanks for all the help thusfar!

If you type an answer and it\'s not accepted, you have to manually erase it to type a new one.  Clearing the textbox on ENTER is a nice suggestion-- I\'ll implement that later tonight!

- Peter

BrandonFG

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 09:21:42 PM »

That makes much more sense. Thanks!

"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2013, 05:27:57 PM »

I think some of the judging on the questions could have been looser. So as not to spoil the questions, the prompt wanted me to say something like \"Jack Daniels Whiskey\" in one case, while just \"Jack Daniels\" was incorrect. I could see some of the results being iffy because of these issues, including topics with hard to spell answers. Hope it all goes well, though!

-Jason

Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2013, 05:48:03 PM »
If I enter no answers or close my browsing session, is that treated as if I didn\'t know any of the answers? There were two questions that came up that I just didn\'t feel like playing, so I didn\'t.
Travis L. Eberle

Loogaroo

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2013, 06:38:11 PM »

I guess I used up all of your questions, seeing as it stopped giving me more when I click the \"Start New Question\" button.

You're in a room. You're wearing a silly hat.
There are letters on the floor. They spell "NOPE".