Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Family Feud: What Happened  (Read 18660 times)

pacdude

Family Feud: What Happened
« on: April 15, 2013, 11:04:01 AM »

\"Family Feud started out as a celebration of the common man (and Richard Dawson). Now it’s a venue for dick jokes. What happened?\"

http://gameological.com/2013/04/take-two-family-feud/

BillCullen1

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 11:47:05 AM »

The body part questions, along with host Steve Harvey\'s reactions and commemts to them, are helping the show get ratings and YouTube hits. Plain and simple, but I hear what you\'re saying.

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 11:57:23 AM »
The body part questions, along with host Steve Harvey\'s reactions and commemts to them, are helping the show get ratings and YouTube hits.

That doesn\'t make the show good or better though. In fact, trolling for Youtube moments is probably one of the most desperate grabs for attention I can think of.

It’s not that the Dawson Feud didn’t have its blue moments or its times when Dawson’s reactions to answers were hilariously exaggerated. But these tended to spring up organically, and they were relatively rare over the course of Dawson’s first decade as host.

Been saying this for awhile now. Good to see someone outside our little circle gets it.

"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

geno57

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 12:00:43 PM »

How do y\'all feel about Match Game, during its classic years of the \'70s?  \"Boobs\" and \"tinkle\" rarely came up in any natural way.  And yet ...

BrandonFG

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 12:28:39 PM »
The way I see that is, 40 years ago, \"boobs\" was still considered \"risque\", so there was some shock value there.

To me, the line of what\'s considered daring or shocking was crossed sometime in the mid-90s, which is why this shtick is so tired here. Jerry Springer et al have been doing far worse things on daytime TV for close to 20 years now.

/Further than that if you wanna use Phil Donahue to set the precedent
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Loogaroo

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 01:49:52 PM »

This is a bit tangential, but we\'re talking about Harvey Feud at length and I absolutely need to say this:

I hate, hate, HATE how they use the \'80s-style theme music for the current show. Hate it. It sounds completely out of place for such a modern-looking production, almost like a self-parody. They had a nondescript, up-tempo theme for years that actually worked for the current production, and the decision to go back to the old music to this day annoys the hell out of me.

I especially hate how it\'s used for face-offs. It\'s choppy and amateurish - I envision a kid at middle-school talent show hovering over a tape deck, artlessly playing a chunk of a song and trying to stop the tape at the precisely right moment to prevent any unnecessary notes from coming out. That\'s how it sounds.

You're in a room. You're wearing a silly hat.
There are letters on the floor. They spell "NOPE".

BrandonFG

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 02:02:06 PM »
I hate, hate, HATE how they use the \'80s-style theme music for the current show. Hate it. It sounds completely out of place for such a modern-looking production, almost like a self-parody. They had a nondescript, up-tempo theme for years that actually worked for the current production, and the decision to go back to the old music to this day annoys the hell out of me.

I can\'t stand it either...I disliked it when it was used for Karn\'s era (well a half-season or so), and I dislike it now. If you\'re not going to use the \"other\" Feud theme (from this current run), at least consider using the \'94 theme. 

J.R.

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 03:01:57 PM »
I can\'t stand it either...I disliked it when it was used for Karn\'s era (well a half-season or so), and I dislike it now. If you\'re not going to use the \"other\" Feud theme (from this current run), at least consider using the \'94 theme. 

As much as I like the 94 theme, I think it\'s just as dated as the Combs-era theme, IMHO. The jazz and slow jam remix is so very Mid 90s.

I\'d be in favor of either the theme used in the Anderson/Karn/O\'Hurley era in or a new remix of the classic theme.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 03:02:44 PM by J.R. »
-Joe Raygor

dale_grass

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 03:34:04 PM »

As much as I like the 94 theme, I think it\'s just as dated as the Combs-era theme, IMHO. The jazz and slow jam remix is so very Mid 90s.

I\'d be in favor of either the theme used in the Anderson/Karn/O\'Hurley era in or a new remix of the classic theme.

I is in agreement. The way I see it they could bring back Parker\'s arrangements (which would fit like a glove) or grab the multitrack masters from Score and do a modern remix (which would be awesome but costly).

aaron sica

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 02:59:21 PM »
I especially hate how it\'s used for face-offs. It\'s choppy and amateurish - I envision a kid at middle-school talent show hovering over a tape deck, artlessly playing a chunk of a song and trying to stop the tape at the precisely right moment to prevent any unnecessary notes from coming out. That\'s how it sounds.

That, and the zoom shot they use to sync with the last note. I\'m with you there..

Game Show Man

• Admiral Anaheim, Big Joey Numbers, etc.
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 08:32:00 PM »

QFT.  Nothing is more jarring, more irritating, more half-assed about the current Feud (production-wise) than the use of the Combs-era music package.

"Game Show Man" Joe Van Ginkel
captvangin@aol.com
"Remember, reality bites, so WATCH MORE GAME SHOWS!"

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 09:01:06 PM »
<blockquote class=\'ipsBlockquote\'data-author=\"LetsGoYankees\" data-cid=\"307817\" data-time=\"1366238744\"><p>

<blockquote class=\'ipsBlockquote\'data-author=\"pacdude\" data-cid=\"307705\" data-time=\"1366038241\"><p>\"<em class=\'bbc\'>Family Feud started out as a celebration of the common man (and Richard Dawson). Now its a venue for dick jokes. What happened?\"</p>

One word: Ratings</p>

Which apparently hasn\'t been an issue because this edition of Feud has been on for fifteen years with not so impressive ratings. Regardless if whether they\'re up or not.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

SuperMatch93

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 11:26:17 PM »

Using the Combs music doesn\'t bother me as much as them playing that tag at the end of EVERY ROUND and coming back from commercials. The tag should just be used when the game is decided and in a Fast Money win.

-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 01:39:57 AM »
Nothing is more jarring, more irritating, more half-assed about the current Feud (production-wise) than the use of the Combs-era music package. 

Nah, I think that title still goes to \"not enough points\" and doing everything they can to avoid having to do a sixth question...except that was (is?) quarter-assed at best.

Something I learned yesterday: the audience now chants \"FAST MONEY!\" for no discernible reason other than to make sure they\'re still awake.

The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

BrandonFG

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2013, 09:16:20 AM »
Using the Combs music doesn\'t bother me as much as them playing that tag at the end of EVERY ROUND and coming back from commercials. The tag should just be used when the game is decided and in a Fast Money win.

That irritates me too, and it did when they used it for Karn. At the very least, use the intro cue from Dawson and Combs\' eras (the ending, not the family intro cues). 

You have enough cues in the library to choose from, and honestly, why not just come out of break cold without music, maybe some audience cheering? It worked for Dawson, it worked for Combs, and Wheel/Jeopardy still do it, as does Millionaire IIRC. Oh wait, their producers actually care about the little things...

Fremantle really aggravates the hell out of me with some of their half-assed production decisions. If you\'re going to go \"old school\", at least make an effort. Then again, these are the same producers who care more about how many ways they can get contestants to say a variation of the word \"penis\". The stuff they care about baffles me, considering how many other nuances slide.

Dan, I think they\'ve been doing the \"Fast Money!\" chant since at least last season. It makes about as much sense as the signs they had audience members holding during the O\'Hurley era.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 09:19:13 AM by BrandonFG »