Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Length of a Jeopardy! Round  (Read 7835 times)

JepMasta

Length of a Jeopardy! Round
« on: December 08, 2012, 09:39:11 PM »
Hey there guys, I have been wondering this for some time, and considering my name, I SHOULD already know this.

What is the time limit of a round on Jeopardy!?

Cheers

Brian~

That Don Guy

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 09:42:14 PM »
Is there a "fixed" time limit - that is, it would be the same from one episode to the next?

Presumably, any time limit for the Jeopardy round would include the introductions and the chat with the contestants.  I also wouldn't be surprised if, if the Jeopardy round finished early, the Double Jeopardy round had time added to it.

Also, you have the problem where the time runs out with only one clue left, but it's a Daily Double, and, under the rules, they have to play it anyway.  (At least, it was a rule at one point.  When it first happened, even Alex didn't know it was a rule; the producers had to point it out to him.)  That would reduce the planned time for the Double Jeopardy round.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 09:49:20 PM »
That's certainly new to me.
Travis L. Eberle

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 10:35:46 PM »
Also, you have the problem where the time runs out with only one clue left, but it's a Daily Double, and, under the rules, they have to play it anyway.

Having been a contestant, I don't remember this being a rule we were told about, and it seems odd enough that I would have remembered it.  Having said that, it's also entirely possible that it's a rule of production that wouldn't necessarily be in the instructions they gave us.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

chad1m

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 10:38:27 PM »
I don't remember this being a rule we were told about
Agree, but it sort of makes sense. It wouldn't exactly look good if the last clue, the solitary Daily Double, wasn't given up to the contestant who earned it because "we'll be right back."
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 10:38:37 PM by chad1m »

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 11:20:04 PM »
Also, you have the problem where the time runs out with only one clue left, but it's a Daily Double, and, under the rules, they have to play it anyway.

Having been a contestant, I don't remember this being a rule we were told about, and it seems odd enough that I would have remembered it.  Having said that, it's also entirely possible that it's a rule of production that wouldn't necessarily be in the instructions they gave us.

I seem to remember this coming up in a discussion many, many years ago, possibly on ATGS...although I'll be damned if I can remember who said it or why it was brought up.

splinkynip

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 10:07:17 AM »
I do remember this occuring at least once, going back to maybe around 1995?

toddyo

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 10:23:01 AM »
Wasn't there a celebrity episode that a round one was buzzed with items remaining on the board?

BrandonFG

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 10:27:14 AM »
Wasn't there a celebrity episode that a round one was buzzed with items remaining on the board?
That sounds like just about every celebrity episode! ;-P
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Offshored2007

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 01:09:31 PM »
That sounds like just about every celebrity episode! ;-P
Especially painful during "Power Players Week" in DC!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 04:40:14 PM »
Timing out the show yesterday gave times of 5:30 and 6:30 for rounds one and two respectively, and all 60 clues were played.
Travis L. Eberle

jage

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2012, 02:33:35 AM »
Timing out the show yesterday gave times of 5:30 and 6:30 for rounds one and two respectively, and all 60 clues were played.

Would be interested to see that compared to say 3-5 years ago, but I think I already know the answer to that.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2012, 09:20:10 AM »
5:30 and 6:30. Wow, that's a lot less time than I would've guessed.

BrandonFG

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2012, 09:28:17 AM »
5:30 and 6:30. Wow, that's a lot less time than I would've guessed.
Same here. I'm trying to add up the rest and see how to get close to 21 minutes:

-Intro, up until Alex introduces the categories (roughly 1:15)
-Interview segment (2:00 or so?)
-The Aleve/NYT plugs between Double and Final Jeopardy (:30)
-Final Jeopardy and credits (maybe 5:00 total including the plugs with a full credit roll)

That adds up to 8:45*, plus the 12 minutes of the two rounds, so it looks like it adds up.

*Give or take
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

MyronMMeyer

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2012, 09:31:42 AM »

Would be interested to see that compared to say 3-5 years ago, but I think I already know the answer to that.

The Double Jeopardy round of my show 10 years ago played all 30 clues and took just a smidge under 7 minutes to do it.