Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: NO MORE GSN?  (Read 8243 times)

DjohnsonCB

NO MORE GSN?
« on: December 15, 2003, 02:05:37 PM »
Just saw this at another discussion board:  GSN will change its name and format next spring, and only have maybe three actual game shows left:  Match Game, Lingo and a third I can't remember.  The tentative plan is to focus on reality shows and original programming.    

If this is true, it will be a sad day for many reasons.  But the good news is I won't have to push for GSN to be added to analog cable anymore, and I have maybe a couple of chances to see the new season of Lingo in St. Joseph, maybe.  Also, I'm glad I managed to see the PYL special there, and the 1972 debut ep of The Joker's Wild on Thanksgiving at my sister's house (where GSN is also on analog).

But now, what channel will act as a home to the other game show reruns...including a show or two that exists but has never been rerun?
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

Thad Dixon

NO MORE GSN?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2003, 02:19:57 PM »
[quote name=\'DjohnsonCB\' date=\'Dec 15 2003, 02:05 PM\']But now, what channel will act as a home to the other game show reruns...including a show or two that exists but has never been rerun?[/quote]
And, I'm not sure if Matt O. or Chris have thought about this or not, but I have in just the last few minutes:  what's going to happen to the discussion board (on this forum) where we discuss what GSN does?  Will that be shut down as well, or will it be given GSN's new name, or something?

Jimmy Owen

NO MORE GSN?
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2003, 02:26:47 PM »
GSN will become off-topic. :)  No, there will still be game shows there but not as many.  From what I understand, it's primetime that will get the makeover.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

melman1

NO MORE GSN?
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2003, 02:28:23 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Dec 15 2003, 12:26 PM\'] From what I understand, it's primetime that will get the makeover. [/quote]
 Am I the only one that spends primetime watching all the stuff I taped during the day?
melman1, "some sort of God on this message board" - PYLdude, 7/9/06.

Jay Temple

NO MORE GSN?
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2003, 02:59:02 PM »
You're not alone, at least to this extent:  If I'm watching a complete episode of a game show after I come home from work, it's one that I taped during the day.  (I'll watch part of a GSN game while I rewind a tape before something else comes on, but that's all.)
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

LA the DJ

NO MORE GSN?
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2003, 03:22:49 PM »
Now the big question is if someone else will take up our cause, or if other companies are going to view GSN's lifespan as a failed experiment.

...Or possibly these games will find a home on another cable channel, as they once did on The Family Channel and USA.
Help control the moron population, if you know a moron, kick him in a strategic location.

Robert Hutchinson

NO MORE GSN?
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2003, 03:39:59 PM »
[quote name=\'nWo_Whammy\' date=\'Dec 15 2003, 03:22 PM\']Now the big question is if someone else will take up our cause, or if other companies are going to view GSN's lifespan as a failed experiment.

...Or possibly these games will find a home on another cable channel, as they once did on The Family Channel and USA.[/quote]
Or possibly they will continue to find a home on GSN in the many hours of the day that aren't primetime.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

HSquares2003

NO MORE GSN?
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2003, 04:32:06 PM »
I know TVLand is mostly old sitcoms, but maybe they could enter the classic game show genre into their programming?

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
NO MORE GSN?
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2003, 02:16:36 AM »
[quote name=\'HSquares2003\' date=\'Dec 15 2003, 04:32 PM\'] I know TVLand is mostly old sitcoms, but maybe they could enter the classic game show genre into their programming? [/quote]
 I believe it's previously been reported that TV Land is not looking to dive into this genre of TV.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
NO MORE GSN?
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2003, 11:29:03 AM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Dec 16 2003, 12:16 AM\'] I believe it's previously been reported that TV Land is not looking to dive into this genre of TV. [/quote]
True, but TV is a reactionary business. Now that GSN's plans for the future are official, plans could change.

(Mind you, I wouldn't hold my breath on it, but let's just say that with changes in the landscape sometimes come possibilities.)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2003, 11:29:51 AM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

ChuckNet

NO MORE GSN?
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2003, 12:59:22 AM »
True, but TV is a reactionary business. Now that GSN's plans for the future are official, plans could change.

Besides, many Cullen $25Ks - owned by TVL's parent company Viacom, mind you - frequently featured stars of 70s primetime TV as celebs (Gabe Kaplan, Penny Marshall, Freddie Prinze, et al.)...if they decided to give game shows a whirl, it'd make for a nice start.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

zachhoran

NO MORE GSN?
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2003, 08:22:09 AM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Dec 17 2003, 12:59 AM\']
Besides, many Cullen $25Ks - owned by TVL's parent company Viacom, mind you - frequently featured stars of 70s primetime TV as celebs (Gabe Kaplan, Penny Marshall, Freddie Prinze, et al.)...if they decided to give game shows a whirl, it'd make for a nice start.

[/quote]
 To quote Chris Lemon re: 70s syndie Concentration, you're preaching to the choir.
It was reported Freddie Prinze was alongside Valerie Bertinelli as one of the worst Pyramid players of the era.

Jamey Greek

NO MORE GSN?
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2003, 05:36:37 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Dec 17 2003, 12:59 AM\']

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby") [/quote]
 Before Cronin Came, and when Liberty Digital bought half the network, When GSN was planning to drop all G-T Shows, and turn into an all-original all-interactive all the time network.  I typed up my idea for a second GSN, called Press Your Luck and Skill, I was thinking about founding the network, and selling it to Viacom.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
NO MORE GSN?
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2003, 06:47:16 PM »
[quote name=\'Jamey Greek\' date=\'Dec 17 2003, 03:36 PM\'] I typed up my idea for a second GSN, called Press Your Luck and Skill, I was thinking about founding the network, and selling it to Viacom. [/quote]
 Oh? And what, aside from millions of dollars in technical equipment, programming, personell, and overhead, stopped you?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tommycharles

NO MORE GSN?
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2003, 08:12:36 PM »
[quote name=\'Jamey Greek\' date=\'Dec 17 2003, 05:36 PM\'] [quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Dec 17 2003, 12:59 AM\']

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby") [/quote]
Before Cronin Came, and when Liberty Digital bought half the network, When GSN was planning to drop all G-T Shows, and turn into an all-original all-interactive all the time network.  I typed up my idea for a second GSN, called Press Your Luck and Skill, I was thinking about founding the network, and selling it to Viacom. [/quote]
 I remember reading about this on ATGS...and

*groupsgling*

you had the following criteria for a schedule:
1.Not has been shown on GSN
2.No repeats
3.No Infomercials

how far did you get with selling that?

T
gawd, I need a life