Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Rule Changes  (Read 11003 times)

Argo

Game Rule Changes
« on: August 15, 2012, 10:22:23 PM »
I know that sometimes game rules change are better for the contestant and are introduced as much to make the game easier etc. However, what happens when rules are changed to make the game harder, or to less benefit the contestant. Do they try to hide the fact or do they just joke and say that they were having too many winners, so they changed the rules, etc. etc, or do they say anything on air at all and let the viewer try to figure out the change.

A few random examples, 3 Strikes (TPIR) going from 3 strikes in the bag to 1 strike, then back to 3, Concentration (Narz Version) where matching the wild cards won instant $500 early in the run while later in the run was only $250 (although more wild cards on the board), shows allowing champions and then not, or how long champions would be able to stay changed.

Any other rule changes like this that people know about?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 10:23:25 PM by Argo »

Chief-O

Game Rule Changes
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 10:25:50 PM »
"Scrabble". Mosquitos. /thread.
.....and it goes like this!!!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Game Rule Changes
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 10:26:52 PM »
Three linen shirts, one wool shirt, a couple pairs of slacks, and a comforter.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

JMFabiano

Game Rule Changes
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 10:54:57 PM »
This was actually discussed a little on Game Show Garbage (and if you don't visit that site semi-regularly...why not?) after the induction of the $400-to-win format of Family Feud.  Here's the thread:

http://gameshowgarbage.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=gsg&action=display&thread=36
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Game Rule Changes
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 11:09:19 PM »
(and if you don't visit that site semi-regularly...why not?)
It didn't take me very long at all to find several good reasons. At least, for me personally. Other's mileage may and probably should vary.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Game Rule Changes
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 02:04:31 AM »
Phone a Friend.

This was actually discussed a little on Game Show Garbage (and if you don't visit that site semi-regularly...why not?) after the induction of the $400-to-win format of Family Feud.  Here's the thread:
Because I'm really not a fan of the proprietor nor his output. He's as bad as Tiller is in terms of the quality of his output, just for different reasons. (And actually, if you like watching seven questions per show, $400 is the best thing that happened to it.)
Travis L. Eberle

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Game Rule Changes
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 12:45:09 PM »
"Since you played the head-to-head with Richard Dawson last time, you have to pick somebody else. . ."

The Star Wheel didn't bother me as much, simply because it added a chance to double the stakes in exchange for not picking Richard all the time.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 12:48:08 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

JMFabiano

Game Rule Changes
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 01:16:18 PM »
"Since you played the head-to-head with Richard Dawson last time, you have to pick somebody else. . ."

The Star Wheel didn't bother me as much, simply because it added a chance to double the stakes in exchange for not picking Richard all the time.

Me neither, then again, by the time I was aware of my surroundings, the Star Wheel was a fixture on MG.  So it was kind of nostalgic for me.  

I named mine already in the GSG thread (and we'll have to agree to disagree on liking that site...), basically, the toning down of certain celebrity versions of shows.  For the opposite of the 400 dollar/point rule, would Bullseye in Feud count?  Cause it made for less of the traditional gameplay.  

How about bonus game changes?  The last season of Whoopi HS definitely, and adding the Big Numbers to Las Vegas Gambit, not cause it was BAD, but it seemed out of place compared to the rest of the show.  (Anyone know why they changed the end game?  Was it H-Q's way of keeping High Rollers alive?  Less budget from not giving away multiple prizes?)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Game Rule Changes
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 01:41:01 PM »
I named mine already in the GSG thread (and we'll have to agree to disagree on liking that site...)
wait a minute. At the very least, I told you what I didn't like. What's good about it? I'll certainly quibble with the quality of the editorial content, Rob's delivery and the camerawork. Plus the "awards" named for stupid in-jokes.

So where's the good?
Travis L. Eberle

JMFabiano

Game Rule Changes
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 05:43:52 PM »
I named mine already in the GSG thread (and we'll have to agree to disagree on liking that site...)
wait a minute. At the very least, I told you what I didn't like. What's good about it? I'll certainly quibble with the quality of the editorial content, Rob's delivery and the camerawork. Plus the "awards" named for stupid in-jokes.

So where's the good?

Well I was a Wrestlecrap fan, so I guess I kind of appreciate some of Rob's content and style.  (example: the Patrick Wayne Awards = the (Gobbledy-)Gooker Awards at WC)  I just like the basic concept of roasting bad game shows, I guess.  (If you want a criticism from me, you don't see many of the Usual Suspects get their just due on the site...)

My comment above was just concurring that people's mileage on the site may vary.  And that's OK.  

So, how about those bad rule changes?

alfonzos

Game Rule Changes
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 06:41:18 PM »
Shenanigans second season: stopping the player's progress to play Operation and Where's Willy
Any game that has to switch to an all-celebrities format or shoehorns celebrities into the format (I'm looking at you Whew)
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

BrandonFG

Game Rule Changes
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2012, 07:14:17 PM »
I think this is getting away from the idea of a rule or format change from a fluke incident setting a precedent. A lot of examples given are just rule changes...an all-celeb format is usually nothing more than a last-ditch effort to boost the ratings (using the most recent example given).

It's not quite a rule/format change, but wasn't the Press Your Luck board pattern changed dramatically following Larsongate? Same reason Whammy's pattern was randomized?

I also seem to remember reading about a rule change in Win, Lose, or Draw's bonus round during the Robb Weller era. From what I remember reading, the original rule was to start out with the first word worth say, $100, then doubling from there. Apparently, one early contestant went on a tear and racked up about $25,000+, prompting the producers to make it 7 in whatever time period for $5,000.

This was prolly posted in the ATGS era, so I'm going off a 10-year-old memory here. Forgive me if it's nothing more than just urban legend.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Game Rule Changes
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2012, 07:43:43 PM »
There were several posts on ATGS about NBC using a bonus in which you doubled from $100 to an infinite mark, unless you passed. However, I've never seen video of it, and it's not even cited on the Wiki page. The Weller bonus was always the $5,000 round. You got $50 for the first word, doubling it for the next five, and augmenting to 5k on the seventh correct answer.

-Jason
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 07:45:04 PM by JasonA1 »
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Game Rule Changes
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2012, 07:46:57 PM »
There were several posts on ATGS about NBC using a bonus in which you doubled from $100 to an infinite mark, unless you passed.
At which point the bank would reset to zero. Was there ever the case that someone got to $800 or $1600 with not all that much time left and just kinda said "Huh, I guess that'll do," instead of passing?
Travis L. Eberle

Argo

Game Rule Changes
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2012, 07:54:01 PM »
Wow a lot of worse rule changes. Thanks for the feedback.  I was also wondering how have the show or hosts advertised the new rules? I understand them promoting the heck out of rule changes that can be benefital to the contestant(s), but when changing the rules the other way, how do they do advertise them. Obviously i guess the contestants are briefed backstage of any changes, but viewers at home are probably left wondering...

Mark