Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Newlywed Game  (Read 6973 times)

Don Howard

The Newlywed Game
« on: July 11, 2012, 09:54:58 AM »
Yes, twas on this date in 1966 when the naughty show bowed on The Alphabet Network.
Do you have a favorite version of this show? Or do you like or hate them all equally?

My favorite (and from I could tell by Bob Eubanks' book, his least favorite) was the syndicated edition from 1977-80.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 09:55:27 AM by Don Howard »

Vahan_Nisanian

The Newlywed Game
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 09:57:18 AM »
Why was it his least favorite? Wasn't it more or less the same as the original?

Don Howard

The Newlywed Game
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 10:16:24 AM »
Why was it his least favorite? Wasn't it more or less the same as the original?
He felt he didn't do his best work on that edition because of the personal troubles he was having at the time.

TimK2003

The Newlywed Game
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 02:04:45 PM »
Yes, twas on this date in 1966 when the naughty show bowed on The Alphabet Network.
Do you have a favorite version of this show? Or do you like or hate them all equally?\

I liked the first version of "The All New Newlywed Game" with Eubanks (the orange & yellow double-ring set years).  Bob seemed to be the most energetic in this remake than in the other remakes, Bob Hilton fit in nicely as the announcer, and the 80s version of the ol' theme was a respectable remake.

The syndicated version from the late 70s had the obvious feel like they were cranking out 10 shows a day -- get-em-in & get-em-out -- and they were trying too hard to find oddball couples to fill the seats.

I still love watching the original ABC episodes simply for the milder questions, styles of the times and the original theme music.

Not sure how many of you know the story on how this Chuck Barris penned song with lyrics became such a famous instrumental as a game show theme, but since we are saying Happy Birthday to The Newlywed Game...

« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 02:18:49 PM by TimK2003 »

Neumms

The Newlywed Game
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 04:31:47 PM »
Not sure how many of you know the story on how this Chuck Barris penned song with lyrics became such a famous instrumental as a game show theme, but since we are saying Happy Birthday to The Newlywed Game...

I didn't know, and thanks for passing it along. I always thought it was a stylized riff on a wedding march, at least the beginning fanfare.

Kevin Prather

The Newlywed Game
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 04:42:42 PM »
The back story of the song is an interesting one too. The song was supposed to be performed by Eddie Rambeau on the Bandstand, but since Chuck Barris worked for ABC at the time, concerns over payola led ABC to not allow the song to be performed. The song also couldn't be played on any ABC-owned radio station. Since the song couldn't get the time of day to become a hit, Barris repurposed it into the Newlywed Game theme.

Jimmy Owen

The Newlywed Game
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 04:42:48 PM »
ABC version was the best.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Neumms

The Newlywed Game
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 05:34:38 PM »
The syndicated version from the late 70s had the obvious feel like they were cranking out 10 shows a day -- get-em-in & get-em-out -- and they were trying too hard to find oddball couples to fill the seats.

They didn't have to try that hard, did they? There was one couple I remember, and Eubanks has brought them up, too, basically Edith and Archie Bunker. The husband was a curmudgeon, the wife as sweet as can be. They had zero points up to the last question, then got it right and won with 25 points. I've always figured it had to be rigged somehow, but her shock and his heartfelt glee made it worthwhile.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 05:35:13 PM by Neumms »

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
The Newlywed Game
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 05:40:44 PM »
My favorite version, hands-down, is the 1985-88 All-New revival. This might be an unpopular opinion, but I thought the blue set looked cooler and the money-based format was a nice touch. I even liked the late-Rodriguez episode that David Downs had on YouTube (Paul's "pink flamingo" joke was quite good) and the Lange episode that Chad Mosher uploaded (that was just weird to see).

Least favorite would most likely be the first and last seasons of the late-90s revival: 1996-97 because it was pretty much "in name only" ("That's My Wife!", anyone?), 1998-99 because they ousted the classic theme for...something...and a set that screamed "cheap".
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

TimK2003

The Newlywed Game
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 06:30:25 PM »
And speaking of Chuck Barris show themes that were based on vocalized songs:

« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 06:49:23 PM by TimK2003 »

BrandonFG

The Newlywed Game
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 07:13:32 PM »
Not the biggest fan of the show (I think it was the rerun abuse on GSN), but I'd go with the 1985 version. To me it seemed the most-polished, and felt like the one where everyone had the most fun.

Least favorite would most likely be the first and last seasons of the late-90s revival: 1996-97 because it was pretty much "in name only" ("That's My Wife!", anyone?), 1998-99 because they ousted the classic theme for...something...and a set that screamed "cheap".
Disagree a bit on the 1996 season...it still contained each spouse predicting what the other said, it just ditched the cards. It took a weird approach, but I didn't find it to be a complete bastardization...

I actually thought the 1997-99 versions were okay, but the '97 set looked cheap IMO. The one for '98 was snazzier, even if it did look like it was recycled from The Arsenio Hall Show. I liked the jazzy '98 theme song.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 07:14:05 PM by BrandonFG »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
The Newlywed Game
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 03:51:42 PM »
Or do you like or hate them all equally?

Ding ding ding. As I've said before, I dislike the Barris library as a whole.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 08:54:41 PM by Twentington »
Bobby Peacock

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
The Newlywed Game
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2012, 07:38:10 PM »
My favorite version, hands-down, is the 1985-88 All-New revival. This might be an unpopular opinion, but I thought the blue set looked cooler and the money-based format was a nice touch. I even liked the late-Rodriguez episode that David Downs had on YouTube (Paul's "pink flamingo" joke was quite good) and the Lange episode that Chad Mosher uploaded (that was just weird to see)
Where is the money based format and blue set you speak of?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Vahan_Nisanian

The Newlywed Game
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2012, 07:40:47 PM »
My favorite version, hands-down, is the 1985-88 All-New revival. This might be an unpopular opinion, but I thought the blue set looked cooler and the money-based format was a nice touch. I even liked the late-Rodriguez episode that David Downs had on YouTube (Paul's "pink flamingo" joke was quite good) and the Lange episode that Chad Mosher uploaded (that was just weird to see)
Where is the money based format and blue set you speak of?

Here it is, rest are side-barred. The changes were made a few years later in the run.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 07:55:08 PM by gameshowlover87 »

golden-road

The Newlywed Game
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2012, 02:28:25 AM »
Didn't the money format only last Sep-Dec '88?