Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: $ale of the ¢entury press photos  (Read 25430 times)

GrandGame1440

$ale of the ¢entury press photos
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2012, 04:49:18 AM »
Well, I had a turn at digging around over there and found this photo of Janice Pennington: http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/janice-pennington-news-photo/116713113

I think a lot of us are already aware of the book on the left, but is anyone familiar with the one on the right?  Apparently it's titled "The Price Has Always Been Right."  I can't find anything other than an ATGS post about it from 1994.  Anyone have any idea about this?

TheLastResort

« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2012, 08:13:21 AM »
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 08:13:48 AM by TheLastResort »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2012, 08:42:20 AM »
Here's some interesting shots of Jack Barry's Tic Tac Dough from 1956. There's behind the scenes shots of the rotating category board too!
The photo of the board from behind fascinates me. Building and maintaining it must've been quite a feat of engineering. It'd be great to hear the story from whoever created it. Now, if there were photos somewhere of the other side of the original Concentration and Jeopardy! boards, you'd have to peel me off the floor.
I suspect it was the brainchild of Ted Cooper.

Who is the man addressing the audience with the blackboard that says "6B" in the background? I don't think that's Jack Barry.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2012, 09:12:13 AM »

Who is the man addressing the audience with the blackboard that says "6B" in the background? I don't think that's Jack Barry.
Just a guess, but could it be Don Pardo?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2012, 09:28:46 AM »
I think a lot of us are already aware of the book on the left, but is anyone familiar with the one on the right?  Apparently it's titled "The Price Has Always Been Right."
Looks to me like it says "The Price Hasn't Always Been Right: The Secrets Behind The Price Is Right Game Show." Maybe some sort of tell-all that got blocked?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 09:29:33 AM by DoorNumberFour »
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

Clay Zambo

« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2012, 09:44:20 AM »
"The Girl": Twyla Littleton.
Oh, I remember Twyla.  I was a twenty-something single guy when she was playing "girl in bikini" in every TV series that found itself needing a girl in a bikini. I just couldn't make out with her nameplate.

Fixed that for you.
czambo@mac.com

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2012, 11:01:11 AM »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

catnap1972

« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2012, 11:04:51 AM »

Bob Zager

« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2012, 11:05:05 AM »
I think a lot of us are already aware of the book on the left, but is anyone familiar with the one on the right?  Apparently it's titled "The Price Has Always Been Right."
Looks to me like it says "The Price Hasn't Always Been Right: The Secrets Behind The Price Is Right Game Show." Maybe some sort of tell-all that got blocked?

Ms. Pennington had started working on a book, with that working title, and mentioned it in a brief interview with Wink Martindale, on his 1987 special, "The Game Show Biz."  Within one year, she had her unfortunate accident on the set of TPIR, and then later she'd focused on writing the book on the search for her long-lost and presumed dead husband (Fritz), and it sold very well.

I had met her at a signing of the paperback version of her book, and I asked about her other book, TPHABR, and she'd told me it was to come out the following year, but it never did!

Supposedly, a memoir by former Barker's Beauty, Kathleen Bradley is at least in the works, now!

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2012, 12:08:13 PM »
What the heck?

$100,000 Shower of Money
Likely a promotional stunt on "Hollywood Squares."

-Jason
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 12:08:18 PM by JasonA1 »
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2012, 12:27:39 PM »
Interesting, because that was also a yearly stunt on Concentration; there's a photo of the same cash book in the Classic Concentration book.
Travis L. Eberle

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2012, 12:47:04 PM »
Just a guess, but could it be Don Pardo?
I'm going to hazard a guess: Bill McCord?

GrandGame1440

« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2012, 12:57:07 PM »

I seriously doubt that seeing it was 1994 and she was still working on the show and there a photos from the same event showing Barker present.

Ms. Pennington had started working on a book, with that working title, and mentioned it in a brief interview with Wink Martindale, on his 1987 special, "The Game Show Biz."  Within one year, she had her unfortunate accident on the set of TPIR, and then later she'd focused on writing the book on the search for her long-lost and presumed dead husband (Fritz), and it sold very well.

I had met her at a signing of the paperback version of her book, and I asked about her other book, TPHABR, and she'd told me it was to come out the following year, but it never did!

Supposedly, a memoir by former Barker's Beauty, Kathleen Bradley is at least in the works, now!

Hmm, that's interesting but it appears that at this signing from 1994 she is selling the second book as well.  What gives?

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2012, 01:47:56 PM »
Interesting, because that was also a yearly stunt on Concentration; there's a photo of the same cash book in the Classic Concentration book.
Observe. It looks like the same exact contraption, name and all, but with a different sign.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 01:55:46 PM by DoorNumberFour »
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2012, 01:56:03 PM »
It's hard to imagine dinky studio 6B is where it all started for Johnny Carson's Tonight Show, and 6A for Letterman.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 01:56:47 PM by chris319 »