Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Stupid game play by annoying celebrities  (Read 12246 times)

wdm1219inpenna

Stupid game play by annoying celebrities
« on: May 27, 2012, 11:02:09 PM »
This evening, as I enjoy the extended weekend due to the observance of Memorial Day tomorrow, I have spent some leisure time watching old game show clips on youtube.  One such clip featured a 1980 "Card Sharks" celebrity tournament for charity.  This is not to be mistaken for the game show hosts round robin tournament.  This clip had Bill Daily changing a Queen to an 8, yet he still won the game.  While the desired outcome was realized, the fact that he would have changed a Queen in this game just further cemented in my mind what an idiotic bumbling fool he was.  He was always chattering endlessly and annoyingly when he appeared on "Match Game".  If ever I have occasion to have GSN on, and I see Bill Daily is on the Match Game panel, I change the channel.  As Major Roger Healey on "I Dream of Jeannie", he was hilarious.  Having that same kind of "schtick" as himself however was not at all endearing to me.

Another example of a bone-headed celebrity gaffe that I happened to recall, was Little Richard on "Wheel of Fortune".  Again, playing for charity if memory serves, he spun $5,000.  It was a brand new puzzle, no letters had been uncovered.  The letter he selected..... "X".  I tried to locate this on youtube, but failed to do so.  I am certain it's out there somewhere.

I am curious if other members of the forum have isolated celebrity incidents of utter stupidity and/or idiocy.  I would be curious to hear about them.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 11:12:22 PM »
This evening, as I enjoy the extended weekend due to the observance of Memorial Day tomorrow, I have spent some leisure time watching old game show clips on youtube.  One such clip featured a 1980 "Card Sharks" celebrity tournament for charity.  This is not to be mistaken for the game show hosts round robin tournament.  This clip had Bill Daily changing a Queen to an 8, yet he still won the game.  While the desired outcome was realized, the fact that he would have changed a Queen in this game just further cemented in my mind what an idiotic bumbling fool he was.  He was always chattering endlessly and annoyingly when he appeared on "Match Game".  If ever I have occasion to have GSN on, and I see Bill Daily is on the Match Game panel, I change the channel.  As Major Roger Healey on "I Dream of Jeannie", he was hilarious.  Having that same kind of "schtick" as himself however was not at all endearing to me.

Come on, Bill, that's laying it on a little thick. Especially considering that there might have been other reasons why he would have changed (bad draw in previous cards, burned by queens, caught in the moment, nerves, etc.).

I'd love to see how you would do on a game show.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 11:17:16 PM »
From the Queen, changing will improve or hold odds on 6 ranks, and worsen odds on 7 ranks. It's not too much worse than calling higher on a nine.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 12:15:29 AM »
Another example of a bone-headed celebrity gaffe that I happened to recall, was Little Richard on "Wheel of Fortune".  Again, playing for charity if memory serves, he spun $5,000.  It was a brand new puzzle, no letters had been uncovered.  The letter he selected..... "X".  I tried to locate this on youtube, but failed to do so.  I am certain it's out there somewhere.

On that week's Friday Finals, Richard was paired up with James Brown for some reason. At seemingly every single turn, one or both of them forgot Wheel of Fortune 101: After you spin, you have to call a letter. Even with the more lax rules of celebrity games, I'm surprised they never got buzzed out.

Another Wheel example: A few years ago on an NBA week that had basketball star/civilian teams, one team has something like _O FOR BRO_E showing in the Bonus Round… and both of them keep guessing "To for" something. On what planet is "to for" proper grammar?

====

One general-purpose one that annoys me is celebrities on J! who ring in and are all "Ooh, I know this! Come on, what is it what is it what is it?!" It's okay if it happens once or twice, but on celeb games, it often comes across as playing dumb and/or happens way too often for my liking. I remember a batch of celeb games about 4 years ago where it seemed to happen on nearly every single clue. (They also had, more than once, a singer come out and do 45 seconds of a song before a Daily Double. What the pluperfect hell was that for? Between that and the looooooooooong interview segments {also a major fault of the most recent celeb games}, it's no wonder they were only playing about half the board.)
Bobby Peacock

wdm1219inpenna

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 07:40:40 AM »

Come on, Bill, that's laying it on a little thick. Especially considering that there might have been other reasons why he would have changed (bad draw in previous cards, burned by queens, caught in the moment, nerves, etc.).

So would I!  :)

wdm1219inpenna

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 07:46:50 AM »
From the Queen, changing will improve or hold odds on 6 ranks, and worsen odds on 7 ranks. It's not too much worse than calling higher on a nine.

I comprehend your point, but I disagree on a couple of things.  For one, Bill Daily was an idiot.  He even admitted as much during this incident by saying "I don't know what I'm doing."

Assuming that it was a brand new deck of cards, and the first card exposed was a queen, by virtue of the fact that 4 ranks would improve the queen, and 2 ranks would keep it the same, that would mean 23 out of 51 remaining card would either improve or keep the "rank" the same.  This means 28 cards would make things worse, in other words, less than a 50/50 chance of improving the card rank.  

While I understand your point about calling higher on a nine, and proportionately it would work out similarly, this would only hold true if the 9 was the first card from the deck.  Otherwise, the odds could be different depending on how many other cards were already played and exposed.

Given the logic of 6 ranks being the same or better and 7 making it worse, would you, as a Card Sharks contestant, change a Queen as your base card?

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 08:24:27 AM »
The attraction on celebrity weeks is watching the celebrities, not strategic gameplay.  Bill Daily wouldn't have been there if he hadn't been asked.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

wdm1219inpenna

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 09:00:24 AM »
The attraction on celebrity weeks is watching the celebrities, not strategic gameplay.  Bill Daily wouldn't have been there if he hadn't been asked.

I understand.  I just think that whoever made the decision that Bill Daily would be a good panelist or player on shows like Card Sharks or Match Game showed a grave error in judgment.

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2012, 09:20:14 AM »
Right then... Here we go...
[quote name='wdm1219inpenna']
[quote name='parliboy']
[/quote]
I comprehend your point, but I disagree on a couple of things.  For one, Bill Daily was an idiot.  He even admitted as much during this incident by saying "I don't know what I'm doing."[/quote]
The biggest problem I have with many comedic actors is this: they become one-dimensional, and their character becomes their public personalities.  That is all Daily is guilty of here -- not knowing when to turn it off.  The guy isn't an idiot. He got a lot of work in an era when idiots didn't get that much work. But his public role for so long had been "guy who acts like idiot" that it was easier to keep doing that than to be himself.

Assuming that it was a brand new deck of cards, and the first card exposed was a queen, by virtue of the fact that 4 ranks would improve the queen, and 2 ranks would keep it the same, that would mean 23 out of 51 remaining card would either improve or keep the "rank" the same.  This means 28 cards would make things worse, in other words, less than a 50/50 chance of improving the card rank.  

While I understand your point about calling higher on a nine, and proportionately it would work out similarly, this would only hold true if the 9 was the first card from the deck.  Otherwise, the odds could be different depending on how many other cards were already played and exposed.
So, you just spent two paragraphs explaining that the Queen or the Nine could face better odds or worse odds depending on what cards had already come out, thereby doing nothing to improve or worsen your position in this thread.  And you have effectively agreed with me, rendering your response to me moot.  To give a shortened retort: "No shit, Sherlock."

Given the logic of 6 ranks being the same or better and 7 making it worse, would you, as a Card Sharks contestant, change a Queen as your base card?
I dunno.  I'm not a card counter.  I remember enough to track the Aces, the Dragon, and the Phoenix when I'm playing Tichu.  But I've never seen you come on here and call someone that called Higher on a Nine an idiot.  And nothing you have presented makes this any different. If anything, you've admitted that this is similar situation.  As a side thought: consider that NOT changing a Jack or a Five actually runs against the odds, but the majority of contestants keep those cards.  Are they idiots too?  
Your problem is that you don't like the public personality of an actor.  This is fine; we all have people who rub us the wrong way.  But then you use silly reasons to explain why you don't like that personality.  This is not so fine, and really should be reined in a bit.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

wdm1219inpenna

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2012, 09:31:54 AM »
"The biggest problem I have with many comedic actors is this: they become one-dimensional, and their character becomes their public personalities. That is all Daily is guilty of here -- not knowing when to turn it off. The guy isn't an idiot. He got a lot of work in an era when idiots didn't get that much work. But his public role for so long had been "guy who acts like idiot" that it was easier to keep doing that than to be himself."

Thank you for this Parliboy!  This is exactly the point I was trying to make, but did so in a much too long and roundabout way!  I appreciate the feedback!

And Happy Memorial Day to one and all!

BrandonFG

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2012, 12:16:58 PM »
Another Wheel example: A few years ago on an NBA week that had basketball star/civilian teams, one team has something like _O FOR BRO_E showing in the Bonus Round… and both of them keep guessing "To for" something. On what planet is "to for" proper grammar?
That's not stupidity. That's thinking out loud. I've done that too and I've never even been on a game show.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

BillCullen1

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2012, 01:49:05 PM »
I think Little Richard calling an "X" on a new WOF puzzle is a more boneheaded move than what Daily did. Daily had a hunch on CS that might be illogical to some, but hey, it worked out for him.

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2012, 02:13:07 PM »
To For....six, eight, ten, twelve.

Seriously though, I don't see anything wrong with that line of reasoning. It's when you get caught up on it that's the problem.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2012, 08:07:55 PM »

So would I!  :)

Two whooshes in twenty four hours.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2012, 08:20:06 PM »
Two whooshes in twenty four hours.
That must be some kind of record, isn't it, Roger?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 08:21:44 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe