Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Syndie GS announced...  (Read 9186 times)

weaklink75

New Syndie GS announced...
« on: May 22, 2012, 05:47:21 PM »
Semi-syndicated at first, as it will air in 7 markets owned by the same station group- I'm in one of them (Baltimore), so this will be interesting to see.. They say this show "reflects the audiences desire for new twists on the game show concept"..which is a big warning sign to me though..
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 05:49:19 PM by weaklink75 »

J.R.

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 05:52:37 PM »
Interesting, reminds me a bit of Paranoia.

Also interesting with the trial run plan, wasn't the last show to try this was "100%"?
-Joe Raygor

narzo

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 05:53:59 PM »
Semi-syndicated at first, as it will air in 7 markets owned by the same station group- I'm in one of them (Baltimore), so this will be interesting to see.. They say this show "reflects the audiences desire for new twists on the game show concept"..which is a big warning sign to me though..

I'm actually quite intrigued by the idea of a quiz about current events as one hasn't been attempted since "The Challengers".  

People playing from home?  IDK, it worked putting them in cabs so why shouldn't it work?  

I'm withholding judgement on this one, I think it has possibilities.  Only issue might be the name, when I heard it I thought it was some sort of survey type show.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 05:55:35 PM by narzo »

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 05:55:03 PM »
Ooh, Cleveland is one of the markets initially getting this.  It sounds like WEWS, who is owned by Scripps, might have their prime access hour replacements since the WoF/J! hour is moving to WOIO in the Fall.

weaklink75

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 05:55:53 PM »
Interesting, reminds me a bit of Paranoia.

Also interesting with the trial run plan, wasn't the last show to try this was "100%"?

They tested Baggage out in a few markets last year (including Baltimore actually) before they decided it to syndicate it nationally...

DoItRockapella

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 06:03:15 PM »
What pops into my head:

• This is probably being produced mostly for the benefit of the Scripps stations that are dropping Wheel\Jeopardy.
  • Contestants playing from home? Um, OK.
  • I, too, heard the title and thought "survey game".
I'll try to withhold judgement for a while. It won't be on in my market for the test run, but if it works maybe I'll see it in Fall 2013.

weaklink75

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 06:19:54 PM »
What pops into my head:

• This is probably being produced mostly for the benefit of the Scripps stations that are dropping Wheel\Jeopardy.

It totally slipped my mind about that- they announced it a couple of years ago that they were moving here in Baltimore this fall (and it's always a bit weird here in that they aired J! at 7, then Wheel at 7:30- I don't know of many other places that did that when they had them back-to-back)...

DoItRockapella

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 06:56:46 PM »
Yeah - here's an article about it. To make a long story short, seven Scripps stations are attempting to drop Wheel\Jeopardy in favor of homegrown programming such as, well, this new show.

Like I said, there aren't any Scripps stations in my market, so I'll only get to see this when\if it launches nationally.

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 07:06:04 PM »
That's about the dumbest move I've ever heard of -- Wheel and Jeopardy! are the 800-pound gorillas of syndicated games, and if I'm reading that article correctly it appears to be done so Scripps can control costs.

"reflects the audience desire for new twists on the game show concept"
It's now "new", it's Paranoia meets The Challengers. Which sounds quite good, actually. But using it to compete against Wheel and J! is suicidal.
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 07:12:06 PM »
I'll be interested in more information as well....because from the aspect of current events, will it be a quiz on details of actual events, or a marketing opinion poll tool that may be used to determine news coverage in the guise of a game show ("What's your opinion on this story?")? Smart way to do some research.

BrandonFG

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 07:47:25 PM »
In this technology age, I could see this becoming a new way to do game shows. With Skype making teleconferencing available to the point of where news reporters even do liveshots with it, I can only imagine how much money this saves, as opposed to the expenses of renting a studio, hiring a production crew and host, and flying in contestants/providing accommodations. I imagine the cost of mounting such a product is far cheaper than Paranoia was 12 years ago...

The paragraph doesn't offer too much info, but it sounds like a spin on the late night call-in and lose shows from the mid-2000s, just more professionally produced.

I'm not in a Scripps market (though their name is on my alma mater's j-school), but I'm interested to see how this turns out. If anything, it's a promising new concept and another game for a somewhat lean genre.

/Then again, so was Merv Griffin's Crosswords
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2012, 08:00:31 PM »
This reminds me of "How Do You Like Your Eggs?"
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2012, 08:55:26 PM »
That's about the dumbest move I've ever heard of -- Wheel and Jeopardy! are the 800-pound gorillas of syndicated games,
...and, I'm sure, are expensive as hell for the stations to carry for that reason.

and if I'm reading that article correctly it appears to be done so Scripps can control costs.
Makes perfect sense to those of us with actual knowledge of broadcast economics.

But using it to compete against Wheel and J! is suicidal.
You assume they are interested in competing.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 08:55:56 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2012, 09:17:47 PM »
That's about the dumbest move I've ever heard of -- Wheel and Jeopardy! are the 800-pound gorillas of syndicated games, and if I'm reading that article correctly it appears to be done so Scripps can control costs.
Know how I know you've never worked in TV? Those 800-pound gorillas are still expensive.

"reflects the audience desire for new twists on the game show concept"
It's now "new", it's Paranoia meets The Challengers.
Two shows that no one has ever heard of, outside of this forum. But, it doesn't say the concept is new. It says it's a new twist on the game show concept, similar to how Paranoia or Cash Cab merely took game show elements and gave them different settings.

The syndie bar is much lower than it was 20-25 years ago. A show can do just fine with a 2.0 rating, especially if the budget isn't over-the-top.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2012, 09:20:35 PM »
I want a Corvette.  Unfortunately, my finances say I can afford a Mazda.  Are you willing to put yourself (or in this case, your station) in potential financial hardship because you want the best?

/And there is nothing wrong with Mazdas.
//Love my 2012 Mazda6.