Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wheel of Fortune question...  (Read 1113 times)

Bryce L.

Wheel of Fortune question...
« on: February 14, 2012, 05:43:30 PM »
I was just reading on the "Wheel of Fortune History Wiki" that on the episode aired on April Fools Day 1997, as a joke they had the word

SUPERCALI-
FRAGILISTIC-
EXPIALIDOCIOUS

as a puzzle, hyphenated and divided as seen above, so that it could fit on the board (the category, only used in that single instance, was REALLY LONG TITLE).

My question is, are there any other known instances of a puzzle solution on Wheel containing a word that was so long that it had to be hyphenated and continued on the next row of the board, as the above was?

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 08:15:27 PM »
Megaword already showed that a 10-12 letter word can be tough enough for Wheel contestants, and barring something relatively common like CINEMATOGRAPHY (which they've actually used — it took up the whole second row), I can't see anything bigger than that.

I mean, are there any words that are both big enough to require being split up with a hyphen to fit on the board, and common enough to be known by the average Wheel contestant?
Bobby Peacock

Bryce L.

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 11:52:21 PM »
Megaword already showed that a 10-12 letter word can be tough enough for Wheel contestants, and barring something relatively common like CINEMATOGRAPHY (which they've actually used — it took up the whole second row), I can't see anything bigger than that.

I mean, are there any words that are both big enough to require being split up with a hyphen to fit on the board, and common enough to be known by the average Wheel contestant?

I didn't think there were any others, I just wanted to see if anyone here could prove my guess wrong. Your reasoning makes perfect sense to me.