Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Card Sharks question  (Read 9414 times)

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
Card Sharks question
« on: December 01, 2011, 05:26:03 PM »
In the Money Cards, did anyone ever make a wager that wasn't a multiple of 10? I would imagine there might have been a couple $x75 wagers from contestants who had $x50 going up to the Big Bet, but were there ever any "oddball" amounts like $101?
Bobby Peacock

WilliamPorygon

Card Sharks question
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 09:50:57 PM »
IIRC, by rule wagers had to be in multiples of $50, the only exception being if you were only betting half your bank that ended in -50 on the big bet.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Card Sharks question
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 09:53:17 PM »
IIRC, by rule wagers had to be in multiples of $50, the only exception being if you were only betting half your bank that ended in -50 on the big bet.
In the host tournament one of the players tries that, only to be smacked down by Jim.

Math with things ending only in -00 or -50 is easy to do in your head, or at least to have a guess at. I completely understand why they'd have such a rule, as opposed to allowing bets such as $683.
Travis L. Eberle

Jay Temple

Card Sharks question
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 12:30:40 AM »
Interesting. I'd never heard the rule mentioned, so I guess I never saw an ep where someone tried. (Nowadays, they'd edit it out.)

The only rationale I could see for a rule is if they're running the tally themselves. (In contrast, a J! contestant told Alex he was making a weird wager to mess with the scorekeeper. Alex said they'd enter it into the computer like any other number.)
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Card Sharks question
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 01:03:54 AM »
The only rationale I could see for a rule is if they're running the tally themselves.
No, the rationale is obvious: it guarantees the total when the Big Bet rolls around is a nice round mathable-and-divisible-by-2 number, no more, no less. This also keeps Jim / Bob from having to do funky math (or relay a funky number if someone else is doing the math) when they are telling the player what the minimum Big Bet is.

It's simple, it keeps everything in nice round good-TV numbers for the folks at home, and the only people it affects negatively are the pedantic jackoffs who don't deserve the courtesy anyhow.

(And drawing a parallel between a light, fun gambling game like Card Sharks and The Ultimate Hardass Quiz that is Jeopardy! is one of the bigger apples-and-oranges comparisons I have ever seen.)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 01:18:28 AM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TimK2003

Card Sharks question
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 01:43:48 AM »
Had there been any contestant that had $50 going into the Big Bet and bet only half -- winding up with either $25 or $75?  Seems like everyone I saw just bet the whole wad for a chance at a 3-digit payoff.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 01:44:02 AM by TimK2003 »

clemon79

Card Sharks question
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 02:11:26 AM »
Had there been any contestant that had $50 going into the Big Bet and bet only half -- winding up with either $25 or $75?
I'm not sure they could...I suspect the $50 minimum bet from the rest of the game would supercede that.

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
Card Sharks question
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 05:22:24 AM »
It's simple, it keeps (And drawing a parallel between a light, fun gambling game like Card Sharks and The Ultimate Hardass Quiz that is Jeopardy! Is one of the bigger apples-and-oranges comparisons I have ever seen.)
Onky Connect perks its ears and takes offense at your description of Jeopardy!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 05:24:52 AM by parliboy »
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

Jeremy Nelson

Card Sharks question
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 07:52:07 AM »
Had there been any contestant that had $50 going into the Big Bet and bet only half -- winding up with either $25 or $75?
I'm not sure they could...I suspect the $50 minimum bet from the rest of the game would supercede that.
Most contestants, when guessing the card right before the Big Bet, either bet the whole thing or saved more than $50, so I couldn't imagine it even coming down to that.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Matt Ottinger

Card Sharks question
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 11:56:59 AM »
It's simple, it keeps (And drawing a parallel between a light, fun gambling game like Card Sharks and The Ultimate Hardass Quiz that is Jeopardy! Is one of the bigger apples-and-oranges comparisons I have ever seen.)
Onky Connect perks its ears and takes offense at your description of Jeopardy!
Only Connect needs to get over its badass self, then.  It's a marvelous, challenging puzzle game, but comparing it to Jeopardy is apples and...let's go with kumquats.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Ian Wallis

Card Sharks question
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 12:52:41 PM »
In the host tournament one of the players tries that, only to be smacked down by Jim.

I remember an episode in that tournament where Bill Cullen tries to bet something like $x25 before the Big Bet, Jim said something like "...you can't do that" and Bill replied "OK, I understand why".

That could be the same episode you're referring to.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Card Sharks question
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2011, 01:22:52 PM »
Danged if I can find it, but I seem to recall a thread here where apparently Eubanks told a contestant that a lower-level row (bottom or middle) bet had to be in increments of 50.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Jay Temple

Card Sharks question
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2011, 03:35:24 PM »
The only rationale I could see for a rule is if they're running the tally themselves.
No, the rationale is obvious: it guarantees the total when the Big Bet rolls around is a nice round mathable-and-divisible-by-2 number, no more, no less. This also keeps Jim / Bob from having to do funky math (or relay a funky number if someone else is doing the math) when they are telling the player what the minimum Big Bet is.

It's simple, it keeps everything in nice round good-TV numbers for the folks at home, and the only people it affects negatively are the pedantic jackoffs who don't deserve the courtesy anyhow.
To me, your first point is a non-issue. Even on the big bet at the end, you could simply say that if you have an odd amount, the 50% requirement is rounded up. ($201 means the minimum bet is $101.) However, your second point is an excellent one. At best, weird wagers don't make the show more enjoyable.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

clemon79

Card Sharks question
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2011, 04:19:49 PM »
To me, your first point is a non-issue.
Yet you agree with the second one? Um, that's all one point. Watching your host fumble with math or weird numbers is bad TV. That you're actually suggesting a rounding rule as an alternative to the incredibly-far-simpler way they chose to do it simply amazes me. And I'm hard to amaze anymore.

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
Card Sharks question
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2011, 05:15:25 PM »
Watching your host fumble with math or weird numbers is bad TV.

Which is probably why it's not an issue on Jeopardy! when someone makes an oddball wager, since Trebek has shown to be extremely proficient at doing math in his head. ("You have $13,800 right now and you're the only one with money. You know, if you made this a True Daily Double, you could have $27,600." All without missing a beat.)
Bobby Peacock