Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Examples of unusual situations involving GS contestants  (Read 7808 times)

Vahan_Nisanian

Examples of unusual situations involving GS contestants
« on: November 28, 2011, 09:01:58 PM »
And I don't mean the stuff you see on relationship game shows, such as TNG and TDG. Here's what I actually mean by that:

In an episode of Press Your Luck from near the end of the run in 1986, a woman named Peggy won the game at the end of a taping date. She was supposed to come back on the next taping date, but she showed up late. Apparently, she missed her flight from Africa, having just been on the African Safari that she won on the show. So three new contestants were brought in at the start of the next taping date, and when Peggy did eventually come back, she and the new champion went up against a new contestant (both of whom lost to said new contestant).

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 09:04:26 PM »
In an episode of Press Your Luck from near the end of the run in 1986, a woman named Peggy won the game at the end of a taping date. She was supposed to come back on the next taping date, but she showed up late. Apparently, she missed her flight from Africa, having just been on the African Safari that she won on the show.
Because if Peter Tomarken said it, it must be true.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 09:24:38 PM »
And I don't mean the stuff you see on relationship game shows, such as TNG and TDG. Here's what I actually mean by that:

In an episode of Press Your Luck from near the end of the run in 1986, a woman named Peggy won the game at the end of a taping date. She was supposed to come back on the next taping date, but she showed up late. Apparently, she missed her flight from Africa, having just been on the African Safari that she won on the show. So three new contestants were brought in at the start of the next taping date, and when Peggy did eventually come back, she and the new champion went up against a new contestant (both of whom lost to said new contestant).
If I'm understanding you correctly, I don't see how any of that is possible for a number of reasons.

a) I can't see there being that much time between tape dates, especially if...
b) The show was near the end of the run, and...
c) I don't see Peggy being awarded the trip before the episode airs.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 09:29:33 PM »
c) I don't see Peggy being awarded the trip before the episode airs.
Protocol is exactly the opposite: you receive your prizes some time after the completion of your run. Our lover of game shows has been snookered.
Travis L. Eberle

That Don Guy

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 09:48:48 PM »
Here's a similar one: when Ralph Edwards added the $100,000 tune to Name That Tune, the show invited all of the contestants who won the Golden Medley but didn't win the $100,000 during the first $100,000 season back for a tournament in the second $100,000 season.  However, one of the winners couldn't make it; it seems that he was about to depart on the 52-day Mediterranean Cruise that was one of the Golden Medley prizes.

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 10:25:16 PM »
There was that one lady on Jeopardy! back in 2009 who fell ill between tapings and had to return at a later date.
Bobby Peacock

clemon79

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 10:54:39 PM »
Here's a similar one: when Ralph Edwards added the $100,000 tune to Name That Tune, the show invited all of the contestants who won the Golden Medley but didn't win the $100,000 during the first $100,000 season back for a tournament in the second $100,000 season.  However, one of the winners couldn't make it; it seems that he was about to depart on the 52-day Mediterranean Cruise that was one of the Golden Medley prizes.
Yeah, that's, um, not similar at all, at the minimum because that actually seems halfway plausible.

Otm Shank

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 01:18:31 AM »
There was a contestant on The Price Is Right recently who fell ill during the taping. After the first one-bid, her sister or some other relative came down to Contestants Row in her place. It was a good example, though, as to why they don't randomly pick contestants, rather the more exciting people.

And, permit me a twist on the original post, but there was an episode of Match Game where Charles Nelson Reilly was late to the set because he forgot to change his clock for daylight saving time. Johnny Olson filled in. (The intro is up on YouTube somewhere.)\

As for the Press Your Luck, it is entirely possible that a returning contestant straddled two seasons, thus the episode would have aired, and have been eligible for prize redemption. (Although someone with their episode guide at the ready will prove me wrong.) However, I would venture to guess that Peter Tomarken was spinning a little story, rather than being entirely truthful.

clemon79

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 02:05:57 AM »
As for the Press Your Luck, it is entirely possible that a returning contestant straddled two seasons, thus the episode would have aired, and have been eligible for prize redemption.
Except it's not because you don't get your winnings until the end of your run.

TimK2003

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 02:33:32 AM »
My favorite candidate for this thread was the detective, nicknamed "Blackie", who was a contestant on "Whew!".  The guy was jumping up and down so hard after he won the match, he blew out his knee, and couldn't run the Gauntlet after the commercial break.  So they went right into a new match with two new players.

Blackie came back several weeks later (literally to "Pomp And Circumstance" playing in the background as he entered center stage), ran the Gauntlet and won the $25K on his first try!

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 02:49:14 AM »
As for the Press Your Luck, it is entirely possible that a returning contestant straddled two seasons, thus the episode would have aired, and have been eligible for prize redemption.
Except that Press Your Luck didn't do summer reruns (I think...I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong), so it isn't.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 02:49:33 AM by Steve Gavazzi »

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2011, 03:03:08 AM »
Except that Press Your Luck didn't do summer reruns (I think...I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong), so it isn't.

Come to think of it, didn't most game shows of the time (Price, I think, is the exception) have new episodes all year round, especially those with returning champions?

The only time I can think of reruns coming into play is if the show was put on hiatus due to various factors (last year of Daytime Wheel, Las Vegas Gambit, PYL)

(and yes, I mean strictly daytime- because someone will bring up syndicated series if I don't clarify. No, it's not sarcasm, it's just being realistic.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 03:54:15 AM by PYLdude »
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Don Howard

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2011, 05:37:17 AM »
Charles Nelson Reilly was late to the set because he forgot to change his clock for daylight saving time.
It was Gary Burghoff who was late.

dale_grass

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2011, 10:06:09 AM »
Charles Nelson Reilly was late to the set because he forgot to change his clock for daylight saving time.
It was Gary Burghoff who was late.
Tom Hanks is referring to this incident:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbNf_cgy2II[/media]

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2011, 11:29:34 AM »
Come to think of it, didn't most game shows of the time (Price, I think, is the exception) have new episodes all year round, especially those with returning champions?
Yes, back in the day, all game shows -- even Price -- aired new material year-round.  I'm sure someone here can tell us when Price started doing summer reruns.  I seem to recall something about Classic Concentration taking a big chunk of their episodes and airing them again in order, defending champions and all, and that the ratings weren't terribly different the second time around.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.