Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN Acquires "Dancing with the Stars"  (Read 13175 times)

tvwxman

GSN Acquires "Dancing with the Stars"
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 12:59:52 PM »
Why not the first three?
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

aaron sica

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 01:25:35 PM »
I know there are some of us who have some of the shows and champions committed to memory on shows GSN has run into the ground, but I never understood the attraction of watching one of these elimination-type shows in reruns. You know who the eventual champion is going to be..What's the fun in that?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 01:33:23 PM »
I know there are some of us who have some of the shows and champions committed to memory on shows GSN has run into the ground, but I never understood the attraction of watching one of these elimination-type shows in reruns. You know who the eventual champion is going to be..What's the fun in that?
Well, in the case of DWTS, it's a performance show, right? Maybe you want to see the more memorable (for good or ill) performances.

I also think you are overestimating the average TV audience, many of whom weren't watching the show at the time, and as such DON'T know who might have won a given season.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

aaron sica

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 03:46:24 PM »
I also think you are overestimating the average TV audience, many of whom weren't watching the show at the time, and as such DON'T know who might have won a given season.

Perhaps I am....How many of those average people would go online and find out who won and ruin it for themselves?

cool245

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 03:51:30 PM »
It will probably be like The Amazing Race. The first cycle will probably do alright because people will watch that didn't watch the earlier seasons, but any repeats after that will have a ratings drop.

clemon79

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 03:55:17 PM »
How many of those average people would go online and find out who won and ruin it for themselves?
How much of DWTS's target audience even knows how to GET to Wikipedia to find out?

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 04:05:42 PM »
I'll admit, I started watching the show regularly last season.  Yes, I have looked at the list of winners.  Would I want to watch the reruns?  Probably every now and then.

I'm a tad surprised at the "let's jump on GSN for making a bad decision" bandwagon sometimes.  There are times it may be warranted.  I don't know which way this will go for them, but at least it's a true competition and not other reality dreck.

tvmitch

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 04:30:17 PM »
Ovation airs So You Think You Can Dance reruns. As in, they run them for what seems like 24/7 from Friday-Monday, or at least they did some time ago. My wife started watching that show this year and has tuned into the Ovation reruns to see routines from past seasons. SYTYCD brings back all-stars as well and she says that looks for the all-stars when they were past contestants.

All this to say: there is some merit on airing these reruns. More "show" than "game," but the time for that argument has come and gone.
You should follow me on Twitter

gamed121683

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 05:48:18 PM »
My take on this is that GSN must have forgotten about "The Amazing Race" fiasco a few years back.

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2011, 08:47:30 AM »
Much different TV landscape now than when they picked up TAR. I see a channel looking for recognizable HD product and stumbling across an opportunity that fit that need well and is sorta on-topic to boot.

I wonder if it's expected to be their weekend marathon show to replace poker?
@lambertman

snowpeck

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2011, 10:03:37 AM »
I wonder how they will schedule/format the show, and if it will be edited down at all.  The show has always had varied runtimes, between the performance and results shows... anywhere from one hour to two hours, with many episodes falling inbetween the two.  Will it even be structured as performance/results shows or will they somehow combine it all into one?
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

That Don Guy

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2011, 04:05:14 PM »
Ovation airs So You Think You Can Dance reruns. As in, they run them for what seems like 24/7 from Friday-Monday, or at least they did some time ago. My wife started watching that show this year and has tuned into the Ovation reruns to see routines from past seasons. SYTYCD brings back all-stars as well and she says that looks for the all-stars when they were past contestants.
How is she on recognizing the SYTYCD finalists that have appeared on Glee?  (In the current storyline, the school's "other show choir", The TroubleTones, has Comfort Fedoke and Jaimie Goodwin - excuse me, "Season 4's Comfort and Season 3's Jaimie" (seriously, the only former contestant referred to by first and last name is Chelsea Hightower, and I have a feeling it's because the producers of Dancing With The Stars made it a condition for them even allowing her to appear as an All-Star last season) as two of the nameless (and uncredited) background singers (although they usually have the dancers just lip-sync to unshown, and equally uncredited, backup singers).)

My take on this is that GSN must have forgotten about "The Amazing Race" fiasco a few years back.
The difference:
DWTS = celebrities
TAR = "Who's that?" (Seriously, name anybody who has been on TAR who wasn't already famous before their appearance)

clemon79

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2011, 04:14:45 PM »
(Seriously, name anybody who has been on TAR who wasn't already famous before their appearance)
Mirna & Schmirna. What do I win?

That Don Guy

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2011, 04:21:07 PM »
(Seriously, name anybody who has been on TAR who wasn't already famous before their appearance)
Mirna & Schmirna. What do I win?
Another beer!  No, wait, that's Drink the Beer (as seen on Family Guy).

Anyway, you sort of prove my point; you are not alone in not being able to remember most reality show contestants' last names.  (It doesn't help them much in that, except for American Idol and America's Got Talent, pretty much none of them use contestants' last names.  Even "normal" game shows like Lingo seem to be on a "first name only basis.")