Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Twenty-One ties  (Read 8123 times)

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Twenty-One ties
« on: October 14, 2011, 02:42:01 PM »
What would happen on Twenty-One if either player elected to stop the game when the scores were tied?

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Twenty-One ties
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 02:47:01 PM »
What would happen on Twenty-One if either player elected to stop the game when the scores were tied?
On Povich, I believe it initiated a sudden-death lockout question.

On Barry, if I remember my Quiz Show correctly, you started a new game with the $X-per-point stakes increased. (I want to say they doubled.)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 02:48:38 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Twenty-One ties
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 02:59:30 PM »
Correct, select!

On Barry, if I remember my Quiz Show correctly, you started a new game with the $X-per-point stakes increased. (I want to say they doubled.)
My memory is that the per point stakes increased by $500 each time the pair tied. (Stempel/Van Doren play for $2,500 per point in their climactic final game, and you can't get to $2,500 by doubling.)
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

Twenty-One ties
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 03:22:35 PM »
(Stempel/Van Doren play for $2,500 per point in their climactic final game, and you can't get to $2,500 by doubling.)
Having not seen the movie in over fifteen years, this is why I hedged my bets. :)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Twenty-One ties
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 03:29:05 PM »
(Stempel/Van Doren play for $2,500 per point in their climactic final game, and you can't get to $2,500 by doubling.)
Having not seen the movie in over fifteen years, this is why I hedged my bets. :)
This wasn't from the film, this was from the real deal: the actual episode of their final game exists on the Youtubes. CVD wins by eight and takes down twenty grand.

EDIT: Realized later, Quiz Show exists in nine parts on the Youtubes as well.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 03:31:28 PM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

Kevin Prather

Twenty-One ties
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 03:59:52 PM »
This wasn't from the film, this was from the real deal: the actual episode of their final game exists on the Youtubes. CVD wins by eight and takes down twenty grand.

EDIT: Realized later, Quiz Show exists in nine parts on the Youtubes as well.
What's interesting about watching the actual game is that the "Marty" question is not the one that cost Stempel the game, like Quiz Show would have you think. It wasn't even in the ultimate round.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Twenty-One ties
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 04:09:44 PM »

I guess what I'm looking for is did anybody see it happen. I know both of the above circumstances happened when the game ended in a 21-21 tie from correct answers. But, on either version (and I know it's less likely on the original, since that was staged for most of its run), did any players choose to stop after round 2 while the scores were tied?

Wiki seems to imply that the game value increased on the Jack Barry version only when the game ended 21-21. The article also suggests that the game would end after five rounds (or categories) of questioning, which presents another opportunity for a non 21-21 tie.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

clemon79

Twenty-One ties
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 04:26:44 PM »
But, on either version (and I know it's less likely on the original, since that was staged for most of its run), did any players choose to stop after round 2 while the scores were tied?
I utterly fail to see why the rule would be applied any differently.

Wiki seems to imply that the game value increased on the Jack Barry version only when the game ended 21-21.
I'm too lazy today to find the stick-figure "Citation Needed" cartoon.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 04:26:58 PM by clemon79 »

Kevin Prather

Twenty-One ties
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 04:30:43 PM »
I guess what I'm looking for is did anybody see it happen. I know both of the above circumstances happened when the game ended in a 21-21 tie from correct answers. But, on either version (and I know it's less likely on the original, since that was staged for most of its run), did any players choose to stop after round 2 while the scores were tied?
On Povich, a 19-point tie happened once, and it was dealt with by sudden death. Can't vouch for the latter, but given that B&E wanted ties as much as possible, it seems, I have to think that's what they'd do.

rjaguar3

Twenty-One ties
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 04:43:24 PM »
I read in a book somewhere that 21 partway through its run (before Stempel's run) introduced a rule that if the game ended in a scoreless tie (presumably after 5 rounds of questions), both contestants won $100 and left the show.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Twenty-One ties
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2011, 04:45:52 PM »
I read in a book somewhere that 21 partway through its run (before Stempel's run) introduced a rule that if the game ended in a scoreless tie (presumably after 5 rounds of questions), both contestants won $100 and left the show.
"Focus groups show that nobody likes you. Here's $100. Please...leave now."
Travis L. Eberle

tvrandywest

Twenty-One ties
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2011, 07:05:08 PM »
I suggest great care in ascribing validity to the details in "Quiz Show." There was lots of dramatic license.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

clemon79

Twenty-One ties
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2011, 07:07:10 PM »
I suggest great care in ascribing validity to the details in "Quiz Show." There was lots of dramatic license.
Understood, but the basic concept of "per-point-goes-up-on-a-tie" was likely to carry over accurately.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Twenty-One ties
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2011, 01:09:48 AM »
did any players choose to stop after round 2 while the scores were tied?
On the '50s version I don't think it was so much the players' decision as it was Mr. Enright's.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Twenty-One ties
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2011, 11:53:47 AM »
I mean that's how I'd do it.
Why?
Travis L. Eberle