Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ABC has an "Exit" strategy...  (Read 3728 times)

weaklink75

ABC has an "Exit" strategy...
« on: August 10, 2011, 02:51:00 PM »
Specifically, an "Exit List" one....Sounds like "Money Maze 2.0" to me- but Michael Davies is working on the pilot, so it could be interesting...

TV Guide info

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 03:14:37 PM »
but Michael Davies is working on the pilot, so it could be interesting...
I would like to know why Michael Davies is still heralded as some kind of god. Yeah, he did Millionaire, great. He also did Chain Reaction, My Kind Of Town, and the current Newlywed Game. It seems like he's had one supermassive megahit, a couple of "not bad"s, and a big pile of "meh."
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

J.R.

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 04:26:00 PM »
My Kind Of Town
I remember watching this show way back when. This was an adorable concept, really.

It wasn't all bad, it did have its moments.
-Joe Raygor

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 04:29:54 PM »
Not disagreeing. But it was a colossal flop.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

J.R.

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 04:35:18 PM »
But it was a colossal flop.
Not disputing, just sharing a memory. :)
-Joe Raygor

oaklandfan2kx

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 04:46:13 PM »
Hopefully that show will be on ABC Daytime as a replacement to All My Children and One Life To Live (with a possible revival of a Daytime Wheel of Fortune despite the nighttime run airs on the ABC O&O's on Syndication)

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 06:48:11 PM »
(with a possible revival of a Daytime Wheel of Fortune despite the nighttime run airs on the ABC O&O's on Syndication)
How far up your ass did you have to reach to find that one?

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 06:55:38 PM »
Hopefully that show will be on ABC Daytime as a replacement to All My Children and One Life To Live (with a possible revival of a Daytime Wheel of Fortune despite the nighttime run airs on the ABC O&O's on Syndication)

Do you live in a hole? Just asking.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

mmb5

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 07:31:04 PM »
I would like to know why Michael Davies is still heralded as some kind of god. Yeah, he did Millionaire, great. He also did Chain Reaction, My Kind Of Town, and the current Newlywed Game. It seems like he's had one supermassive megahit, a couple of "not bad"s, and a big pile of "meh."
In this industry, that's not a bad VORP (Viewers over Replacement-Level Producer)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 12:05:53 PM by mmb5 »
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 12:28:12 AM »
I'd make the point that when dealing in quizzes, Michael Davies was good-to-awesome, but when he veered away from that (word games, revivals, reality shows), it goes the other way.
Travis L. Eberle

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 01:51:49 PM »
Davies did a creditable job of reviving The $64,000 Question without paying a nickel in royalties to the Cowan estate.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 01:52:07 PM by chris319 »

tvwxman

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 02:02:50 PM »
Not disagreeing. But it was a colossal flop.
I wouldn't say collasal. Post-Katrina programming did in the show, and by the time things settled down, it was time for the fall season, and no room for MKOT.

Which is a REALLY damn shame, cause I was featured prominitely in one of the skits on an episode that never aired. Blurg.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

BrandonFG

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 04:09:49 PM »
I thought "World Series of Pop Culture" and "Grand Slam" were pretty good shows, esp. the former. "Chain Reaction" wasn't the worst revival of the last 10 years, but it could've benefitted from contestants who knew how to play the game.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2011, 10:07:13 PM »
I thought "World Series of Pop Culture" and "Grand Slam" were pretty good shows, esp. the former. "Chain Reaction" wasn't the worst revival of the last 10 years, but it could've benefitted from contestants who knew how to play the game.
I was talking to Jeremy Nelson about this very thing, and how with a few changes the show could have been something really neat. Instead, we got boring and painful.

(This discussion was brought about when I saw a disclaimer at the end of Studio 7: Questions in round one are posed in multiple choice format; the multiple choice portion was edited from broadcast. Super. Weak.)
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2011, 10:21:40 PM »

It also didn't help matters that the people involved in production weren't exactly the brightest bulbs in the world.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022