Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Lingo tonight  (Read 12754 times)

wdm1219inpenna

Lingo tonight
« on: June 06, 2011, 01:21:58 PM »
At 8pm tonight, the all new Lingo will debut on GSN.  I found some youtube clips about the show.  I'll check it out to see how I like it.  It looks somewhat different to be sure.  Seems they now are including cute clues to help identify the words, not unlike Chuck Woolery's Scrabble.  It will seem odd not having Chuck there, and not having a hostess there either...

gameshowcrazy

Lingo tonight
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 11:01:35 PM »
I'm glad they don't have the hostess, and I hope they never bring one back.  There never was any point to it, and if it's eye candy I want, there are plenty of other places on the TV dial to find it.

jmangin

Lingo tonight
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 11:31:11 PM »
Meh. I like the sleekness of the set updates, but the bonus round change seems poorly executed and eliminates 50% of the core concept of the show--picking numbers and covering them on a card.

I would rather see the original bonus come back, even with the current payout format. Double the payout for not completing a Lingo after pulling the required number of balls, and award $100k for solving all five words and still avoiding the Lingo.

Seems they now are including cute clues to help identify the words, not unlike Chuck Woolery's Scrabble.
Unfortunately most of the clues were filled with sophomoric attempts at sexual humor. I don't mind sex jokes...these ones were just lame.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 11:44:38 PM by jmangin »

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
Lingo tonight
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 12:20:40 AM »
Unfortunately most of the clues were television shows are filled with sophomoric attempts at sexual humor.
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Lingo tonight
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 12:43:39 AM »
B-A-N-A-L.

I-N-A-N-E.

A-W-F-U-L.

V-A-P-I-D.

L-O-U-S-Y.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Lingo tonight
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 01:43:24 AM »
B-A-N-A-L.

I-N-A-N-E.

A-W-F-U-L.

V-A-P-I-D.

L-O-U-S-Y.
So you're saying you were watching the Canucks game tonight instead?

/S-I-E-V-E
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 01:43:44 AM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Lingo tonight
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 01:48:28 AM »
So you're saying you were watching the Canucks game tonight instead?
When I wasn't putting my left hand over my eye in the facepalm/shoulda hadda V8 pose, yes.

(Because then I couldn't see the game, or the two goals that I missed on Fast Forward.)
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Lingo tonight
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 03:03:00 AM »
When I wasn't putting my left hand over my eye in the facepalm/shoulda hadda V8 pose, yes.
Well, someone sure as hell had 8, that's for sure.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

wdm1219inpenna

Lingo tonight
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 03:27:19 AM »
The show airs at 8pm, "prime time".  The clues are amusing if not meant to have sexual implications.  I don't know that I like them, or hate them.  I guess I considered Lingo a "family" show, although there were times when Chuck & Shandi would talk and it wasn't necessarily vulgar, but ..oh heck it's 3:22am I had 5 hours of sleep, I don't know what the heck I'm trying to say!!!

I do like that they earn DOLLARS instead of piddily points now.  I dislike that the losing team's money score reduces to $0.  The show has a top prize of $100,000 (which seems to be virtually impossible to win, especially in 90 seconds no less).  They couldn't give those 2 ladies that $300 to split for their effort?!?!  C'mon!!!!

I agree with one of the previous posters, that not having a final LINGO card in the Bonus Game makes it seem almost pointless to call the game "LINGO".  While I like the larger balls, it's somewhat easier to see or read the numbers, I hate that one player has to walk over to the "board" to pull them off.  

Overall the show was okay, but I guess I grew accustomed to Chuck Woolery's version.  I like certain things about the new version better, but it may take some time to grow on me.  Usually I'm asleep around  7 or 730pm, so I don't know that I'll make watching this at 8pm "appointment TV" every night.

I forgot to mention the fact that I like very much the fact that the 10 "free balls" that used to get marked off on the old show are already marked off now when the board loads during the main game.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 03:28:21 AM by wdm1219inpenna »

vtown7

Lingo tonight
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 05:55:57 AM »
I found if anything the clues hindered the progress of the teams until about at least the 5th line.  And even after that, not really necessary.

I'm not going to say that I totally hated the new version, but I could do without all the sexual references.  If we're going to do Lingo like this, I'd rather it was done in the spirit of Win Lose or Draw late from the UK.

If you'll excuse me, I'm going to go find some Motus on the PVR.

R.

The Ol' Guy

Lingo tonight
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 06:02:27 AM »
Don't have GSN, but watched some clips. We is sure getting classier, ain't we? In a past post, someone mentioned it not being long before Larry the Cable Guy and Ron White get to host their own shows. To continue the trend of racing to the bottom, may I suggest Larry as host of Who Wants To Win a Pickup Truck (for the set o' wheels, just identify these underwear stains), and Ron White hosting You Bet Your Sober, Sorry-Ass Life.

catnap1972

Lingo tonight
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 09:09:51 AM »
Don't have GSN, but watched some clips. We is sure getting classier, ain't we?

Um, from a network that's running on Newlywed, Baggage, and Love Triangle, and you guys ask this like you're really surprised.

Sodboy13

Lingo tonight
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 09:47:40 AM »
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

That Don Guy

Lingo tonight
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2011, 10:40:53 AM »
I noticed two subtle ways the show manages to save money (besides the "only the winners get the money", but how many game shows are left that don't do this):

First, if nobody gets a word when four of the letters are in place, they don't go back and forth until a team gets it right - they just throw it out, and count it as one of the words played in that round.  Has GSN never heard of "the word was discarded, and the show edited" (the way Dawson Feud edited out rounds (well, except for that one time when Richard wanted to see the round played out) where none of the first four players gave an answer that was up on the board)?  To be fair, Password Plus/Super Password also aired rounds where nobody solved the puzzle, but there wasn't any limit on the number of puzzles played in a particular game.

Second, if it is impossible for the team that is behind to catch up, they don't play the last word, so the team that is ahead can't make an extra $1000 (which can be multiplied in the bonus round).

I also noticed they no longer do "one team has odd numbers, and the other even" - was there a reason the Woolery version did this?

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
Lingo tonight
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2011, 01:34:14 PM »
I also noticed they no longer do "one team has odd numbers, and the other even"
I noticed that the numbers were scattered all over the card, as opposed to each column drawing from a group of 15, like you'd see in bingo.

Now that Chuck Woolery's gone, now they use the word "stopper"?

When a television show consists of episodes that are completely self-contained, it's interesting to see which episode they'll choose to air as a premiere to represent their show. Most game shows will opt for an episode with exciting, down-to-the-wire gameplay, or a big win. This version of "Lingo" opted for an episode which ended with a blowout in the main game and a team that froze up in the bonus round. But it did feature a team that put DICKS and SEMEN up on the screen.