Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Break the Bank  (Read 7217 times)

Jeremy Nelson

Break the Bank
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2011, 11:15:18 PM »
It always seemed like something out of a sitcom game show parody.
That's the vibe I always got from it- from the audience chants to the generic theme music to the just overall cheesiness of the whole production.

I've always liked the Password Puzzle/Super Password "right answers are clues to a bigger answer" format, but it seems Password was the only show to execute it right, as I remember there being 3 or 4 other shows that tried it too.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

TimK2003

Break the Bank
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2011, 11:03:07 AM »

I've always liked the Password Puzzle/Super Password "right answers are clues to a bigger answer" format, but it seems Password was the only show to execute it right, as I remember there being 3 or 4 other shows that tried it too.

To an extent, The Cross-Wits did a good execution as well. The only real difference was sentence-long definitions vs. single word clues, but the "board" was pretty much the same as PW+, except with a few more clues.    I wonder if Mr. Goodson got the inspiration to improve upon the Password franchise after seeing The Cross-Wits?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 11:04:01 AM by TimK2003 »

davemackey

Break the Bank
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2011, 01:01:31 PM »
Cheesiness: Wonder how music from other shows wound up on "Break the Bank"? I remember hearing at least a snippet of "The Joker's Wild" theme on there, and also the "21 Win" cue from "Gambit".

JMFabiano

Break the Bank
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2011, 09:26:49 PM »
It's interesting, because on Regis Philbin's show, Gene praises BTB calling Richard Kline a "creative man" and that the show was fun to do.

Was this said during his run on the show or after?  If the former, then we can probably chalk that up to Gene being a good company man, taking what he has and trying to promote it.
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

GrandGame1440

Break the Bank
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2011, 11:02:50 PM »
For those who care to see it:

whewfan

Break the Bank
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2011, 01:35:56 PM »
It's unfortunate that Gene had restrictions, because if Kline and Friends had allowed him as much free reign as he did on Match Game, maybe it would've been a bigger hit.

I've said before, the thing I disliked most about the Bonus Puzzle format was that in the original, when you put the bank card in the slot, it would show a code, and wait a few seconds before it said WRONG CODE or BREAK BANK. In the second format, the suspenseful pause was taken away, thus removing what was probably the best part of the show.

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
Break the Bank
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2011, 03:37:49 PM »
I've said before, the thing I disliked most about the Bonus Puzzle format was that in the original, when you put the bank card in the slot, it would show a code, and wait a few seconds before it said WRONG CODE or BREAK BANK. In the second format, the suspenseful pause was taken away, thus removing what was probably the best part of the show.
That's interesting--I watched that bonus round clip, and I thought the suspense of the reveal was ruined by the fact that WRONG CODE or BREAK BANK scrolled instead of simply appearing. I mean, once you see the B in BREAK BANK appear, you know you've won. In practice, it was very anticlimactic.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 03:38:22 PM by DoorNumberFour »
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

Mr. Armadillo

Break the Bank
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2011, 03:50:37 PM »
The suspense is in the moment before the reveal, not the reveal itself (which only scrolls because everything else scrolls).

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Break the Bank
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2011, 11:04:59 PM »
It's unfortunate that Gene had restrictions, because if Kline and Friends had allowed him as much free reign as he did on Match Game, maybe it would've been a bigger hit.
I don't see how. You still have a lame front game and a catawampous end game that frazzled the host. Where do you give him more reign?
Travis L. Eberle

whewfan

Break the Bank
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2011, 06:47:47 AM »

I don't see how. You still have a lame front game and a catawampous end game that frazzled the host. Where do you give him more reign?

The only way I could think of is if they had modified the main game format and somehow incorporated the stunts more.

Here's how I would do it...

Forget the questions... Clues to a puzzle are revealed one at a time a la the tiebreaker round. The couple that buzzes in first and solves wins seconds. The point/seconds structure is reversed... 1st clue- 100 seconds, 2nd clue 80, 3rd clue 40, fourth clue 20, fifth 10 and 6th is 5 seconds. Play continues until a couple amasses a total of 3 minutes in the prize vault. Perhaps to make the game run a little faster, the third puzzle, the seconds payoff is doubled. With this format, perhaps two bonus games instead of one could be played in a half hour.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Break the Bank
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2011, 11:15:24 AM »
With this format, perhaps two bonus games instead of one could be played in a half hour.
And what happens if the bank breaks in the first half of the show? That was a big enough prize that to shoot your wad at the midpoint of the show would make the second half utterly lame.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

whewfan

Break the Bank
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2011, 04:35:27 PM »
With this format, perhaps two bonus games instead of one could be played in a half hour

And what happens if the bank breaks in the first half of the show? That was a big enough prize that to shoot your wad at the midpoint of the show would make the second half utterly lame.

Quite simply, if the bank is broken during the first bonus game, the cards are reshuffled and there's another chance to break the bank. Of course, they could've done what Family Game night does... just play 5 or 6 events and earn bank cards that way.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Break the Bank
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2011, 04:42:39 PM »
Quite simply, if the bank is broken during the first bonus game, the cards are reshuffled and there's another chance to break the bank.
Yeah, that would make the second half utterly lame. Unless there was a second breaking, and 1) I'm not going to bet the look and feel of my show on the one time in 1,000 that happens, and 2) by definition (assuming the same climbing jackpot) it would always be for less (and likely a lot less) than the first one was...which looks lame.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

whewfan

Break the Bank
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2011, 05:46:35 PM »
Quite simply, if the bank is broken during the first bonus game, the cards are reshuffled and there's another chance to break the bank.[/quote]
Yeah, that would make the second half utterly lame. Unless there was a second breaking, and 1) I'm not going to bet the look and feel of my show on the one time in 1,000 that happens, and 2) by definition (assuming the same climbing jackpot) it would always be for less (and likely a lot less) than the first one was...which looks lame.

Under those conditions, yes, you're right. It's kinda like with Play the Percentages jackpot bonus for guessing a percentage on the nose. It climbed all the way up to $26,000 and it was finally hit. Then they played the bonus game for significantly less, and even Geoff pointed out that the bonus game seemed anti-climactic.

whewfan

Break the Bank
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2011, 05:48:08 PM »
Oops I'm off by $10k... it was a $36,000 win in the maingame.