Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: game show elements that were mentioned  (Read 7055 times)

Vahan_Nisanian

game show elements that were mentioned
« on: May 05, 2011, 09:40:22 PM »
Examples:

In The Gong Show, Chuck Barris announced on the first week of shows that the winners would return later to face off against each other in the playoffs. I've never seen the playoffs in all the years GSN aired the show. Granted, there may have actually been a time where did they did such a thing, but GSN may have skipped over it, presumably due to music rights.

When American Gladiators began in 1989, the winning contenders (male and female) could win $10,000 AND the possibility of returning next year as an American Gladiator. The latter was never brought up again after the first half of the first season.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 09:49:27 PM »
When American Gladiators began in 1989, the winning contenders (male and female) could win $10,000 AND the possibility of returning next year as an American Gladiator. The latter was never brought up again after the first half of the first season.
Note, though, that there were a *ton* of changes at halftime of the first season, most of which saved the show. I'm guessing the "possibility of coming back" was tied closely to the show's original concept, with gimmicky Gladiators and such, and that it no longer fit once they decided to play it straight.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

RMF

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 10:07:16 PM »
Examples:

In The Gong Show, Chuck Barris announced on the first week of shows that the winners would return later to face off against each other in the playoffs. I've never seen the playoffs in all the years GSN aired the show. Granted, there may have actually been a time where did they did such a thing, but GSN may have skipped over it, presumably due to music rights.

GSN actually has aired at least one episode from early in the run that was an all-winners episode. My hunch is this was dropped when the decision was made to focus on the ridiculous.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 10:46:30 PM »
Examples:

GSN actually has aired at least one episode from early in the run that was an all-winners episode. My hunch is this was dropped when the decision was made to focus on the ridiculous.

It's a good hunch.  They did what was called a Hi-Lo week, where acts who were winners competed in three shows and acts who were gonged competed in the remaining two (it was notable for being Jaye P. Morgan's first appearance).

I think also having the nighttime version quelled some of those plans as well, as that became a second chance for winners and losers to compete.  And many acts were invited back to the daytime show as non-rated acts (in which they were paid).
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Unrealtor

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 12:20:45 AM »
This is minor compared to the season-long elements that got dropped as the show was retooled, but I immediately thought of WOF and "We drew numbers before the show to see who would start the game..."
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

clemon79

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 12:51:57 AM »
"We drew numbers before the show to see who would start the game..."
But they *did* draw numbers to see who would start the game. The OP's looking for promises that were never delivered on, basically. Not necessarily stuff that didn't happen on camera.

GrandGame1440

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 01:13:07 AM »
But they *did* draw numbers to see who would start the game. The OP's looking for promises that were never delivered on, basically. Not necessarily stuff that didn't happen on camera.
And even that was shown on camera at least once. (2:45)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 12:21:18 PM by GrandGame1440 »

Kevin Prather

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 03:20:28 AM »
Our Little Genius: Contestants could win $500,000.

William_S.

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 03:26:08 AM »
Nick Arcade: Bonus Round/Over head "Checkered" stage= "At some point of the game a power square would pop up, giving the Player extra health." Gee in all the episodes of NA, I've never seen this happen.
I call BS!

I had another one about Hollywood Squares involving a car under a Cover. But I only remember One episode to even prove my case. I'm sure to be debunked.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 10:00:27 PM by William_S. »

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2011, 08:58:03 AM »
They eventually did make good on that...nineteen years later.

tpirfan28

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2011, 09:13:24 AM »
Note, though, that there were a *ton* of changes at halftime of the first season, most of which saved the show. I'm guessing the "possibility of coming back" was tied closely to the show's original concept, with gimmicky Gladiators and such, and that it no longer fit once they decided to play it straight.
I've only seen the second half of season 1 (it was free on iTunes for a while), so I hit the YouTubes for something.  Boy a bunch of changes (and this is just Powerball).

« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 09:13:46 AM by tpirfan28 »
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Unrealtor

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2011, 09:42:26 AM »

Ah. The mobile site doesn't have the second line of the thread topic anywhere that I saw, so I was thinking it was mentioned but never seen. My bad.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

SamJ93

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2011, 11:17:14 AM »
How about all the shows that promised on their final episodes that they were just going on a brief break and "we will see you again very soon"...which of course never happened.  MG90 and The Better Sex immediately come to mind.
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!

Ian Wallis

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2011, 12:43:33 PM »
Things that were mentioned that never happened ... I always think of the 1975 You Don't Say.  On one of the two episodes in the trade curcuit, Tom mentions they'll have kids playing at Christmas-week.  Unfortunately it was cancelled before then and that never happened.

I'm thinking the cancellation must have come on very short notice.  If they expected to be on past Christmas and announced it on air, then disappeared less than a month later they couldn't have had much warning.  I guess once Fred bought Edge of Night it was all over quickly.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

clemon79

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2011, 12:51:20 PM »
They eventually did make good on that...nineteen years later.
Where it was instantly made painfully obvious as to why they scuttled the idea in the first place, as Rocket was a one-trick pony and Jet was just totally worthless.