Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Brief Feast of Favorites '03 thoughts  (Read 7559 times)

johnnya2k3

Brief Feast of Favorites '03 thoughts
« on: November 28, 2003, 05:08:58 AM »
I went to Grandma's for Thanksgiving dinner during the infamous Patrick Wayne episode of Bullseye, but I have caught up on the Feast of Favorites countdown.

Family Feud was a surprise--The first and last episodes of Richard Dawson's run. Next year, why not the "September" episode and the one when Richard would meet his future wife Gretchen?

Press Your Luck--I KNEW it would be the two-parter of Michael Larsen's reign of terror! If PYL makes next year's FOF...Jim Hess, anyone?

As far as Barry/Enright was concerned? It was surprising to see Joker's Wild and Bullseye back-to-back. And like I said last year when we were at ATGS, the B&E shows made really great use of those effects banks and camera dissolves. I guess Richard S. Kline was a very creative guy--and one that put the Goodson-Todman directors (Breslow and Alter) to shame!

I'm sure TJW will be on the countdown again next year. Anyone with me on Hot Potato or Play the Percentages?

And of course, Match Game 7x was #1 like last year.

I guess this year's marathon was a bit better than last year's. GSN has already bought a bunch more episodes of Millionaire, so any bets that next Feast one of the eps. will be the $2,180,000 one?

Jonathan Allen

Ian Wallis

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2003, 09:01:54 AM »
As far as Barry/Enright was concerned? It was surprising to see Joker's Wild and Bullseye back-to-back.

I thought it was great.  The one complaint I"ve had about GSN marathons in the past is that they always show episodes they've shown before - they never go into the vault and give us a treat by showing us episodes they haven't gotten to yet.

However, I have no complaints about the Feast.  Even though I already have it on tape, it was neat seeing the first CBS "Joker" again.  I think that's only the second time they've aired it.  The second tournament win for $100,000 was a treat too (has GSN ever aired that one before?)  I haven't even seen that one since it originally aired.  GSN has now aired all the tournament finales except the third - unless they aired that one and I just didn't see it.

As for "Bullseye", it would have been nice to see something other than celebrity episodes, but it was good to see again.

Now, if GSN would just put even ONE Barry-Enright show on the regular schedule someplace...
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

itiparanoid13

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2003, 12:31:48 PM »
[quote name=\'johnnya2k3\' date=\'Nov 28 2003, 05:08 AM\'] I guess this year's marathon was a bit better than last year's. GSN has already bought a bunch more episodes of Millionaire, so any bets that next Feast one of the eps. will be the $2,180,000 one?
 [/quote]
 hmm..

just a question, cause im not sure.  I know GSN picked up around 100 or 150 episodes the first time, then another 87 i believe their 2nd run thru, but is Olmstead in that mix at all?  i thought he was around the 250 area, but i could be totally off track.

splinkynip

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2003, 12:58:07 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Nov 28 2003, 10:01 AM\']

However, I have no complaints about the Feast.  Even though I already have it on tape, it was neat seeing the first CBS "Joker" again.  I think that's only the second time they've aired it.  The second tournament win for $100,000 was a treat too (has GSN ever aired that one before?)  I haven't even seen that one since it originally aired.  GSN has now aired all the tournament finales except the third - unless they aired that one and I just didn't see it.

[/quote]
If you are talking about the 1979 $250,000 tournament, yes they have run it.  I recently found it on a tape from late 1997.  Aired at 6AM.

Does anyone know when Bullseye became Celebrity?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2003, 12:58:59 PM by splinkynip »

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2003, 06:23:49 PM »
Some Point in Late 1981 (My guess would either be September, or more likely, November).    

BTW:  These 2 Celeb Bullseye eps are new to GSN.  They've never aired on the net before.  In addition, they, and the Mid-81 show from a couple of years ago, indicate that the whole run is converted to Digibeta now (The 3 shows aren't part of either the first 50 or last 50, which have been known to be converted for some time)

zachhoran

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2003, 07:22:10 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Nov 28 2003, 09:01 AM\'] The second tournament win for $100,000 was a treat too (has GSN ever aired that one before?)  I haven't even seen that one since it originally aired.  GSN has now aired all the tournament finales except the third - unless they aired that one and I just didn't see it.

As for "Bullseye", it would have been nice to see something other than celebrity episodes, but it was good to see again.

[/quote]
 As far as the 1978 TofC finale, the Sunday Night airings of TJW in 2000-2001 were from early in the 1978-79 season. After about half of the episodes from the tourney had aired, they went back to April 1973(where the 2000-01 weekday run left off in June 2001). They almost had aired the finale episode before.

Had GSN aired the celeb Bullseye shows aired last night before?

They aired the 1977 TofC in 1997, the 1979 TofC in late 1997 during the Dark Period, and the 1980 TofC in March 2001(last eight episodes), and during last year's Feast(last two episodes)

zachhoran

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2003, 07:26:19 PM »
[quote name=\'splinkynip\' date=\'Nov 28 2003, 12:58 PM\']
If you are talking about the 1979 $250,000 tournament, yes they have run it.  I recently found it on a tape from late 1997.  Aired at 6AM.

Does anyone know when Bullseye became Celebrity? [/quote]
 IIRC from the original run, January 1982(forget what week, but copyrighted 1981) was the first airing of permanent Celeb Bullseye, at least as it aired on WWOR-9 back in the day. The earlier celeb tournament aired in November 1981. Those in the Philly area at that time might remember Bullseye being aired in Spring-Summer 1982 on the now defunct Channel 48(in a one hour block with TJW from 6-7PM). WHen WKBS aired Bullseye, they started from the beginning from the run. In Summer 1984, WPXI Channel 11 in Pittsburgh aired Bullseye episodes from 1980 in a block with TJW from 5-6PM.

Starkman

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2003, 07:51:42 PM »
My thoughts.

Yawn, Dan Avilia's run which was drawn out for a cliffhanger again, could've at least seen him getting screwed at the end instead, not much else to show but it was well, shown about once every 3 months recently.

Celeb millionaire from near the end of the run when they brought in medium range NY celebs after 9/11, ehhh, would rather seen Carpenter but well I will give GSN a pass since that did just run a few weeks ago. Note that I believe they bought the eps out of order (I believe all celeb eps and the rest civvies in order) So well, I believe that would bring in some jackpot eps but dunno the 2M win.

PYL: Nice treat seeing Larsen's run in full.

Anyone notice something bout the B+E block, only one endgame was played and that was the matching prizes endgame from the CBS version. Aka they managed to avoid the avoid the bad guy endgames alltogether, clever.

the 100k win was too drawn out with interviews at the end for my tastes but i can see where it was fun to watch, side note not GSN based (A 100k win on Love Apples, Bleah, I know questions on TJW were on the easy side but that was just plain dumb.)

Celeb Bullseye, kudos for having the 1st ep of Celebs but as smart a man as F. Lee was, it is still a Game show crime to show Patrick "YOU WIIIINNN!" Wayne, anyone get freaked out when Jimbo said he would make a good host, scary thought that unfortunatly for the world came true in 1990 :( Rather have a civvie ep but hey ill take it.

Dunno what ppl see in FoF, sorry.

Lingo, perfect choice of eps, I dont think Marc and Mark's shutout will be copied by a civvie any time soon.

Whammy! tourneys, ehhh, not the best but at least no season 1 debacles.

Nice touch for FF Dawson.

and MG is untouchable at #1 again.

all i gotta say, GO for GO in 2004 ;)

zachhoran

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2003, 08:41:29 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Nov 28 2003, 09:01 AM\']

Now, if GSN would just put even ONE Barry-Enright show on the regular schedule someplace... [/quote]
 They're currently airing another Q&A show on weekends that originally aired the same years Bullseye did. This would be a good time to pull the show out of the vault and air it, as it's one of few shows that never has had a regular slot on GSN's schedule.

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2003, 02:04:55 AM »
They're currently airing another Q&A show on weekends that originally aired the same years Bullseye did. This would be a good time to pull the show out of the vault and air it, as it's one of few shows that never has had a regular slot on GSN's schedule

Bullseye would be a fine Blockbusters replacement if it were to come to that.

Small side note: Bullseye has been moved from the "GSN Library" section to the "GSN Classics" page on the GSN website.
This is completely unfounded, but I'm thinking that GSN has leased all of the celebrity editions and may air them in upcoming marathons or other special event programming. Of course who knows...perhaps Bullseye will make it to the weekend morning schedule soon....

--Jamie
« Last Edit: November 29, 2003, 02:05:31 AM by Jimmy Fiono Coyne »

mctoyboy

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2003, 11:43:00 AM »
I also noticed that when the Joker's Wild was on, they had the GSN logo in the On Air now frame......but when Bullseye was on the had the Bullseye logo in the frame. Minor.....but who knows? =)
j

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2003, 03:15:24 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Fiono Coyne\' date=\'Nov 29 2003, 02:04 AM\']
They're currently airing another Q&A show on weekends that originally aired the same years Bullseye did. This would be a good time to pull the show out of the vault and air it, as it's one of few shows that never has had a regular slot on GSN's schedule

Bullseye would be a fine Blockbusters replacement if it were to come to that.

Small side note: Bullseye has been moved from the "GSN Library" section to the "GSN Classics" page on the GSN website.
This is completely unfounded, but I'm thinking that GSN has leased all of the celebrity editions and may air them in upcoming marathons or other special event programming. Of course who knows...perhaps Bullseye will make it to the weekend morning schedule soon....

--Jamie [/quote]
 Password Plus, Tattletales, and Super Password are on there as well; and that doesn't make a bit of difference.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2003, 04:15:28 AM »
Password Plus, Tattletales, and Super Password are on there as well; and that doesn't make a bit of difference.

Though Tattletales has been featured in a number of marathons, and will be aired during the week of Bob Barker's birthday....

--Jamie

ezbidder

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2003, 05:58:02 PM »
[quote name=\'johnnya2k3\' date=\'Nov 28 2003, 05:08 AM\']infamous Patrick Wayne episode[/quote]
newbie alert, be gentle: I've searched everywhere for the reason there's such a big deal about Patrick Wayne, and what makes this episode infamous.  I've come up with nothing.  Usually, an episode or person is labelled this way for some reason, like seeing Mama Cass on Match Game, or seeing that guy who ended up in jail from SuperPassword, or if a person does something shocking in the actual episode, or seeing someone who eventually commits suicide, or whatever.  I have searched and searched for pop culture references to Patrick Wayne and come up empty handed.    What's the big deal about him?   Do people hate him, love him, what is it?

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2003, 11:43:13 AM »
[quote name=\'ezbidder\' date=\'Dec 1 2003, 06:58 PM\'] [quote name=\'johnnya2k3\' date=\'Nov 28 2003, 05:08 AM\']infamous Patrick Wayne episode[/quote]
newbie alert, be gentle: I've searched everywhere for the reason there's such a big deal about Patrick Wayne, and what makes this episode infamous.  I've come up with nothing.  Usually, an episode or person is labelled this way for some reason, like seeing Mama Cass on Match Game, or seeing that guy who ended up in jail from SuperPassword, or if a person does something shocking in the actual episode, or seeing someone who eventually commits suicide, or whatever.  I have searched and searched for pop culture references to Patrick Wayne and come up empty handed.    What's the big deal about him?   Do people hate him, love him, what is it? [/quote]
 Welcome to our little enclave.  Compared to other groups, you'll be amazed at how pleasantly you can get your questions answered around here.

There's nothing particularly "infamous" about the Patrick Wayne Bullseye episode itself, I don't think any of us had ever commented on it before seeing it Thanksgiving during the marathon.  It's Patrick Wayne himself who's become infamous in our group.  He's pretty much been annointed as the worst game show host ever by our group, so he becomes the punch line for a lot of jokes.

Furthermore, if you see a reference to "being sent to the TTD'90 room", that's an in-joke around here for the ultimate punishment, being forced to watch Wayne's Tic Tac Dough version over and over.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.