Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Worst Score Productions theme  (Read 9902 times)

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
Worst Score Productions theme
« on: February 09, 2011, 04:30:35 PM »
Which of the many Score Productions game show themes do you like the least? Here are some of my picks.

* Card Sharks '86. The opening has no punch to it at all. The rest of it feels like a decent backing track that they forgot to add a melody to.

* Child's Play. I get they're trying to go with an appropriately child-friendly motif, but sampling "London Bridge Is Falling Down" repeatedly is just unbearably corny.

* Tattletales '82. This one kind of goes both ways for me. Some parts (such as the vibraslap section) are quite good, but there's so little variation in the instrumentation — just trumpets, trumpets, trumpets all the way through. It also seems to have more than one portion where it sounds like it's going to end, but then goes back into the verse yet again before ending.
Bobby Peacock

Don Howard

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 05:03:05 PM »
[quote name=\'Twentington\' post=\'256774\' date=\'Feb 9 2011, 04:30 PM\']* Card Sharks '86.[/quote]
Oh, hell to the yes with this. What a piece of crap. The theme to Card Sharks '78 was one of my favorites.
From the zenith to the nadir. Absolute garbage this one. New yes. Improved no No NO!

Eric Paddon

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 05:32:09 PM »
I agree on all three of those.    Lackluster in every sense and I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed the "London Bridge" riff in "Child's Play".     82 "Tattletales" wasn't very interesting compared to the original, and totally agree on CS.    Don't know why they just didn't bring the old theme back!

"Body Language" I thought sounded overly repetitive and just seemed to go nowhere.

Chief-O

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 05:32:39 PM »
CS '86 was Kalehoff, not Score.

I'd have to say MG '98. All-Star Blitz is a close second.
.....and it goes like this!!!

BrandonFG

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 06:27:28 PM »
-Mindreaders...it seems to be a bit underrated here but it just never did much for me. Seems like it was created at the last minute, and it's just a little too much late-70s generic instrumentation for me.

-Agreed on Child's Play
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 06:27:38 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Twentington

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 06:39:12 PM »
[quote name=\'Chief-O\' post=\'256780\' date=\'Feb 9 2011, 05:32 PM\']CS '86 was Kalehoff, not Score.[/quote]

My bad. I still hold it as Kalehoff's worst work.

[quote name=\'Chief-O\' post=\'256780\' date=\'Feb 9 2011, 05:32 PM\']I'd have to say MG '98. All-Star Blitz is a close second.[/quote]

Assuming that you're talking about the "hobba hum" version of the A-SB theme, it was apparently used for just one week. From every episode I've seen online, the only vocals used are the "All-Star Blitz!" chant in the intro, and the rest is just the saxophone and guitar melodies — no "A-How'd you get your mother to get a big bulging groin?", as Kevin Prather so humorously put it.

(And God help me, I really, truly like the "hobba hum" version better.)
Bobby Peacock

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 07:54:30 PM »
I liked the Child's Play theme. Yes, it was London Bridge but it had a very imaginative arrangement. It had a full orchestra and an ambitious arrangement, all for a game show that basically went nowhere.

I rather disliked the All New Beat the Clock music; it was basically a one-note tune. Also disliked Tattletales II.

While we're on the subject of E.K., I beg to differ on the CS '86 theme. I thought it was pretty good, far better than his other post-Goodson-rift stuff (MG/HS Hour, Trivia
Trap). I recently listened to his IGAS theme (I assume he composed it) and wasn't impressed by it, either.

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 09:22:37 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'256792\' date=\'Feb 9 2011, 08:54 PM\']I liked the Child's Play theme. Yes, it was London Bridge but it had a very imaginative arrangement. It had a full orchestra and an ambitious arrangement, all for a game show that basically went nowhere.[/quote]
Well...the unused theme for that show had that, yes. The actual show just had that godawful loop. I don't understand why they thought it was better.

Twentington

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 11:17:55 PM »
One more addition: TTTT'80. Too generic.
Bobby Peacock

J.R.

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 12:53:20 AM »
[quote name=\'Twentington\' post=\'256801\' date=\'Feb 9 2011, 10:17 PM\']One more addition: TTTT'80. Too generic.[/quote]
I respectfully disagree. I thought it was an amusing little, if overly disco-fied, ditty
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 12:54:22 AM by J.R. »
-Joe Raygor

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 01:25:28 AM »
[quote name=\'J.R.\' post=\'256810\' date=\'Feb 9 2011, 09:53 PM\']I respectfully disagree. I thought it was an amusing little, if overly disco-fied, ditty[/quote]
I think my issue with it is that it just didn't fit a panel show. Granted, virtually nothing about that set fit a panel show, so at least they were consistent, but as much as I like chase lights, that many of them just don't belong on TTTT. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 01:33:23 AM »
[quote name=\'Twentington\' post=\'256774\' date=\'Feb 9 2011, 01:30 PM\']* Card Sharks '86. The opening has no punch to it at all. The rest of it feels like a decent backing track that they forgot to add a melody to.[/quote] I think the melody is just fine, and the punch is certainly there.

* Child's Play. I get they're trying to go with an appropriately child-friendly motif, but sampling "London Bridge Is Falling Down" repeatedly is just unbearably corny.
But you remember the hook, which is more than could be said for many themes from 2000 forward.

* Tattletales '82.
No argument here. It has all the excitement of winning a showcase full of avocado-colored kitchen appliances.
Travis L. Eberle

ChuckNet

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011, 02:08:21 AM »
-Mindreaders...it seems to be a bit underrated here but it just never did much for me. Seems like it was created at the last minute, and it's just a little too much late-70s generic instrumentation for me.

Well, it was originally used (in a more "stripped-down" form) as a commercial cue on Celebrity Charades, if that's any indication.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Eric Paddon

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2011, 02:47:20 AM »
The reason why I don't care for 80 TTTT is that it just represented too jarring a shift after the nine years of comfortable familiarity with the 70s theme.   Going with a new version of the old theme like they did in 1990 would have been better IMO and "sold" the revamped version to long time fans better IMO.

BrandonFG

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2011, 03:41:47 AM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' post=\'256819\' date=\'Feb 10 2011, 02:08 AM\']

Well, it was originally used (in a more "stripped-down" form) as a commercial cue on Celebrity Charades, if that's any indication.
[/quote]
Ah. That I did not know, but it makes sense.

I've said before that since Eubanks's CS was one of the first shows I remember watching, I'm partial to a lot of things there, including the theme song. Even though I always thought it sounded like a police series of the era, I thought it was fine. Like Travis said, at least it has a melody I can hum.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!