Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Annoying announcer "tics"  (Read 11054 times)

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
Annoying announcer "tics"
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2011, 02:51:14 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'257122\' date=\'Feb 13 2011, 10:18 PM\'][quote name=\'Twentington\' post=\'257105\' date=\'Feb 13 2011, 03:29 PM\']Also, both he and Jack Narz on BtC'79 put no enthusiasm whatsoever into "Hall" when introducing Monty.[/quote]
You're watching a game show, and you hear "Monty." Does "Hall" really matter at that point?
[/quote]

To me, it does. This goes back to the Harry Stevens and Rich Fields examples I cited earlier — IMO, when an announcer says a host's name, it should be emphasized all the way through.

[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'257124\' date=\'Feb 13 2011, 10:27 PM\']How many episodes of LMaD '80 have you seen?[/quote]

Only two or three, and an audio clip from another, but I've heard the "clenched teeth" sound every time. The first LMaD'80 episode I found had him saying Monty's name just fine, so I must have misremembered.

As for Johnny Gilbert, I haven't heard him say "X thousand, Y hundred one dollar" in years now. On the February 10 episode, he clearly says "...one dollars".
Bobby Peacock

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2011, 04:01:30 PM »
I don't know if it's a New England speech affectation or what, but Gene Wood announced the mattress company Serter, rather than Serta in the prize plugs.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2011, 04:15:17 PM »
[quote name=\'Twentington\' post=\'257169\' date=\'Feb 14 2011, 11:51 AM\']To me, it does.[/quote]
Well, that makes one of us. Point is, for a Bill or a Bob or whatever, sure, the whole name is necessary for recognition. There's only one Monty hosting game shows, so I can understand that stylistic decision.

IMO, when an announcer says a host's name, it should be emphasized all the way through.
Beautiful. I will file your opinion away appropriately.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Twentington

« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2011, 01:48:03 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'257175\' date=\'Feb 14 2011, 04:15 PM\'][quote name=\'Twentington\' post=\'257169\' date=\'Feb 14 2011, 11:51 AM\']To me, it does.[/quote]
Well, that makes one of us. Point is, for a Bill or a Bob or whatever, sure, the whole name is necessary for recognition. There's only one Monty hosting game shows, so I can understand that stylistic decision.
[/quote]

Which could explain why Rich doesn't seem to put any enthusiasm into Vanna's name — there aren't that many Vannas anywhere.

(Alternatively, it could just be because Rich is a sucky announcer.)
Bobby Peacock

davemackey

« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2011, 10:26:50 AM »
I can't forget Gene Wood's greeting from Hawaii on the episodes of "Win, Lose or Draw" taped there: "Alo-HUH!"

Card Shark

« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2011, 10:06:09 PM »
I hope I don't offend anyone here but when Rod Roddy would announce PYL, and I hate to say this, but I always hated it when his voice would crack like he was going through puberty.  Something which, I should add, rarely happened on TPiR.

He had the same issues on a few openings of the night time TPIR specials in '86. The way he stumbled over the readings in his last 5 or so years on TPIR made me think Porky Pig was the announcer.
Adam Strom

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2011, 04:09:22 PM »
IMO, when an announcer says a host's name, it should be emphasized all the way through.
Then that makes one of you, it sounds like. So that's where we're at: any time an announcer does something, however insignificant, that I don't like, that becomes an annoying announcer tic. Do I have that right?
Travis L. Eberle

Twentington

« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2011, 05:56:28 PM »
Then that makes one of you, it sounds like. So that's where we're at: any time an announcer does something, however insignificant, that I don't like, that becomes an annoying announcer tic. Do I have that right?

Only if they do it repeatedly.
Bobby Peacock