Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Annoying announcer "tics"  (Read 11055 times)

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
Annoying announcer "tics"
« on: February 07, 2011, 01:18:13 AM »
Just a random thing I thought about. Have you ever heard an announcer and thought that they had a verbal tic, unusual emphasis, or just some other "quirk" that you thought was annoying?

For instance, I hated how Harry Stevens announced Finders Keepers. His voice was all right for announcing, but he had a terrible sense of emphasis: "...where whatchoo FIND is whatchoo KEEP on FINDerrrrrrrs... Keepers. And now, here's the host of Finders Keepers, [funny line here], LARRyyyyyyyy Toffler." (The "whatchoo"s are slightly less annoying.)

There's also the way that John Cervenka said "Chuck Wool-ree" on Love Connection. If you're going to get behind the mic, at least learn how to say the host's name properly!

And similarly to Harry, Rich Fields de-emphasizes Vanna's name and stretches it out whenever he fills in on Wheel: "PAT SAJAK and Vanna Whiiiiiiite." It sounds like someone unplugging a record player. (Also, Rich has been MG Kelly levels of mellow on Wheel. That's an adjective I never thought I'd use to describe Rich!)
Bobby Peacock

Argo

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 01:06:42 PM »
And similarly to Harry, Rich Fields de-emphasizes Vanna's name and stretches it out whenever he fills in on Wheel: "PAT SAJAK and Vanna Whiiiiiiite." It sounds like someone unplugging a record player. (Also, Rich has been MG Kelly levels of mellow on Wheel. That's an adjective I never thought I'd use to describe Rich!)

Never liked the MG mellow-ness style and grew to be annoyed by Rich's too.

Winkfan

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 04:56:12 PM »
Rich Fields de-emphasizes Vanna's name and stretches it out whenever he fills in on Wheel: "PAT SAJAK and Vanna Whiiiiiiite." It sounds like someone unplugging a record player.

Well, Bob Hilton did likewise to Bill Cullen on Blockbusters in the latter run of the show. I felt it got ridiculous as he kept doing so.....

Cordially,
Tammy
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 04:14:45 PM by Winkfan »
In Loving Memory: Dolores "Roxanne" Rosedale (1929-2024)

JepMasta

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 09:42:37 PM »
I hope I don't offend anyone here but when Rod Roddy would announce PYL, and I hate to say this, but I always hated it when his voice would crack like he was going through puberty.  Something which, I should add, rarely happened on TPiR.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 09:47:01 PM »
When the Hooked on Phonics girl was announcing "Lingo," she managed to turn "Chuck" into a three-syllable word.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

J.R.

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 10:02:16 PM »
Would the way Johnny Olsen would enunciate "Price is Right " as "PriCHEES Right" count as a tic?
-Joe Raygor

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 10:02:50 PM »
[quote name=\'J.R.\' post=\'256641\' date=\'Feb 7 2011, 07:02 PM\']Would the way Johnny Olsen would enunciate "Price is Right " as "PriCHEES Right" count as a tic?[/quote]What's this? Proof or not real.
Travis L. Eberle

J.R.

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 10:14:54 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'256642\' date=\'Feb 7 2011, 09:02 PM\']What's this? Proof or not real.[/quote]
Around the :52 mark.

Sounds more like "Prichizz" upon further investigation. I could easily have been imaging he squished the "Price" and "is" together.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 10:15:17 PM by J.R. »
-Joe Raygor

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 10:41:46 PM »
I have a fairly decent ear for elision, and I think you're imagining things.
Travis L. Eberle

Twentington

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 10:52:23 PM »
[quote name=\'JepMasta\' post=\'256637\' date=\'Feb 7 2011, 09:42 PM\']I hope I don't offend anyone here but when Rod Roddy would announce PYL, and I hate to say this, but I always hated it when his voice would crack like he was going through puberty.  Something which, I should add, rarely happened on TPiR.[/quote]

I beg to differ. I can barely remember a TPIR episode where Rod's voice didn't crack. Particularly if something funny happened; he'd start giggling and his voice would crack even worse. (For instance, the incident with the lady who looked under the Shell Game shell — he cracks and giggles his way through about half of the next prize.)

Also, having gone back to watch several episodes on YouTube, I didn't realize that Rod was already phoning it in by 1991.
Bobby Peacock

J.R.

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2011, 10:52:55 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'256645\' date=\'Feb 7 2011, 09:41 PM\']I have a fairly decent ear for elision, and I think you're imagining things.[/quote]
Fair enough. Thanks for clearing that up.
-Joe Raygor

geno57

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 03:35:03 AM »
[quote name=\'J.R.\' post=\'256641\' date=\'Feb 7 2011, 09:02 PM\']Would the way Johnny Olsen would enunciate "Price is Right " as "PriCHEES Right" count as a tic?[/quote]

Add me to the list of folks who are not able to hear the alleged problem.

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 03:54:15 AM »
[quote name=\'geno57\' post=\'256664\' date=\'Feb 8 2011, 03:35 AM\'][quote name=\'J.R.\' post=\'256641\' date=\'Feb 7 2011, 09:02 PM\']Would the way Johnny Olsen would enunciate "Price is Right " as "PriCHEES Right" count as a tic?[/quote]

Add me to the list of folks who are not able to hear the alleged problem.
[/quote]

I wasn't quite as annoyed with the way Johhny O. said it.  To me, it was a style all his own & it grew on me.

As for Wheel, I wondered how Charlie O'Donnell was so good at what he did that there's that one little "tic" that puzzled me.  Whenever a contestanbt won a cash prize, Charlie O' would say it like this: "25 THOOUUUUUUUUUSAND DOLLARS!!!!".  It annoyed me at first because it was rather jarring, but it quickly grew on me.  Now that he's gone, I'll miss that quirky style of his(especially when he says "WHEEEEEEL of Fortune".  That I liked.).

whewfan

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2011, 06:56:20 AM »
That was one of the many unique things about Johnny... he pronounced "price" almost like "prize"

Nobody has commented on here about newest TPIR announcer Steve White. I didn't think he sounded THAT bad. The intro was awkward, because of a late start, and obvious first show jitters. His tones are somewhat reminiscent of Burton.  He's a bit like Rod in the way he varies his inflections of "COME ON DOWN" during the intro. I still believe that Jeff Davis and David Lawrence are neck and neck for me, with George Gray as a close 3rd.

As for Rod, for me, I thought he started sounding MUCH worse after season 25. I recently rewatched the episode with friend Rob Rosa playing Spelling Bee (26th season), and Rod sounded AWFUL on that show.

Twentington

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2011, 06:49:34 PM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' post=\'256665\' date=\'Feb 8 2011, 03:54 AM\']Now that he's gone, I'll miss that quirky style of his(especially when he says "WHEEEEEEL of Fortune".  That I liked.).[/quote]

Charlie O'Donnell is still my all-time favorite announcer. But I would be more than satisfied if Jim Thornton were to become his permanent replacement.

[quote name=\'whewfan\' post=\'256667\' date=\'Feb 8 2011, 06:56 AM\']As for Rod, for me, I thought he started sounding MUCH worse after season 25. I recently rewatched the episode with friend Rob Rosa playing Spelling Bee (26th season), and Rod sounded AWFUL on that show.[/quote]

I actually thought he started perking up a little in the last few months before his death. He also sounded a lot closer to '80s Rod when he announced the Game Show Week on H2.
Bobby Peacock