Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Broadcasting Magazine  (Read 197862 times)

J.R.

Broadcasting Magazine
« Reply #375 on: April 16, 2011, 12:50:07 AM »
To save people time: what you see above is the ENTIRETY of the content. No picture, no ad, just a single sentence saying exactly what you see above. Links just don't get more unnecessary.
Confirmed. It's just one simple sentence.

Wow. Just wow.
-Joe Raygor

Jamey Greek

Broadcasting Magazine
« Reply #376 on: April 16, 2011, 10:04:36 PM »
Beginning at Page 25 and going all the way to to Page 33 is an ad for Twenty Questions!

http://www.davidgleason.com/Archive%20BC/BC%201988/BC-1988-11-28.pdf

Matt Ottinger

Broadcasting Magazine
« Reply #377 on: April 16, 2011, 11:13:26 PM »
Beginning at Page 25 and going all the way to to Page 33 is an ad for Twenty Questions!

OK, that's pretty wild.  I've never heard of this attempt, and you'd think for Disney to have devoted several pages of ad space to it, they were pretty seriously behind it.  Is that Harry Anderson as the host?
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Jimmy Owen

Broadcasting Magazine
« Reply #378 on: April 17, 2011, 12:50:34 AM »

OK, that's pretty wild.  I've never heard of this attempt, and you'd think for Disney to have devoted several pages of ad space to it, they were pretty seriously behind it.  Is that Harry Anderson as the host?
Mike Jerrick, most recently of "Mike and Juliet" was the host (in the ad, he's pictured with Ilene Graff.)  Harry was a panelist.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 07:42:53 AM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

GSRebich

Broadcasting Magazine
« Reply #379 on: April 17, 2011, 07:23:22 PM »
Page 47 has an ad for the 1989-90 version of "Jackpot".

http://www.davidgleason.com/Archive%20BC/BC%201988/BC-1988-11-14.pdf

BrandonFG

Broadcasting Magazine
« Reply #380 on: April 17, 2011, 11:54:58 PM »
Mike Burger's pilot page says Dick Wilson...I thought it was Wil Shriner or Pat Finn myself.

Pilot page
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Jamey Greek

Broadcasting Magazine
« Reply #381 on: April 18, 2011, 05:18:21 PM »
Twenty Questions also would have been Burton Richardson's first game show had it sold.

Jamey Greek

Broadcasting Magazine
« Reply #382 on: May 04, 2011, 08:56:06 PM »
Anyone check out the early 1981 issues? Among the noteworthy shows that didn't make it to air that fall were Chuck Barris's $1M Talent Search and attempted Dollar a Second revial w/Bob Eubanks, as well as Hittin' Home, an Hour Magazine-type show to have been hosted by Chuck Woolery...one issue also featured a profile of moral crusader Rev. Donald Wildmon and his joint efforts w/Jerry Fallwell to try and clean up TV.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

What if?  Hittin' Home sold in 1981?  Would Chuck have stayed on Wheel?  Would be quite odd to see him on Hittin' Home in the morning and then Wheel later that morning.  You think Pat would be on Wheel early so Chuck would leave to host this show?

Fan4Sure

Broadcasting Magazine
« Reply #383 on: May 04, 2011, 10:32:04 PM »
OK in the 06-16-1986 issue of Broadcasting there are game shows mentioned to replace Family Ties reuns in January of 1987.  They Include: Oddball from Mark Goodson, the aforementioned Comedy Court from Chuck Barris, Buzzwords from Merv Griffin (which of course the theme song to that pilot became a prize cue on Wheel in the late 80s as well as the theme song to Merv Griffin's Crosswords), Second Guess from Marty Pasetta Productions, (hosted by Alex Trebek), and Bogus from Jay Wolpert Productions.

http://www.davidgleason.com/Archive%20BC/B...-1986-06-16.pdf

Who hosted "Bogus"?

Jamey Greek

Broadcasting Magazine
« Reply #384 on: May 25, 2011, 01:41:51 PM »
There is an article about game shows and it includes a pic of Peter Tomarken hosting the Monopoly pilot.

http://www.davidgleason.com/Archive%20BC/BC%201989/BC-1989-12-18.pdf

Page 52!

Jimmy Owen

Broadcasting Magazine
« Reply #385 on: June 08, 2011, 12:22:48 PM »
On Page 106 of the 4/20/1970 issue there is a Showcorporation ad for "Personality" reruns, which demonstrates that NBC didn't wipe everything game show related.  Around this time, Paramount was offering reruns of "You Don't Say," which a couple of stations picked up, as I recall.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Ian Wallis

Broadcasting Magazine
« Reply #386 on: June 08, 2011, 04:11:34 PM »
I wonder if Personality and You Don't Say reruns were offered in part because of the popularity of the Password reruns from a couple of years earlier.  Maybe the producers figured lightning would strike twice.

This certainly proves that NBC held onto some sort of backlog of the tapes at that time, but I doubt they lasted long once those limited reruns were over.  Did anybody ever pick up Personality?  Interestingly, on a Game TV episode from around '97, Bob Stewart even mentioned the show didn't exist, and that they re-used the tapes.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 04:11:44 PM by Ian Wallis »
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

dazztardly

Broadcasting Magazine
« Reply #387 on: June 08, 2011, 11:05:56 PM »
[quote name='golden-road' post='256804' date='Feb 10 2011, 12:14 AM']I wonder if Mike Burger has more info on that Banko pilot. I'm intrigued as to how it could've been pulled off.
It's your typical we're going to play bingo on the screen while you play at home game.  It has been tried before and tried after.  Despite the dollar figures bandied about, the pilot screamed cheap and the payouts unsustainable.
[/quote]

Well how did the game work?

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Broadcasting Magazine
« Reply #388 on: June 09, 2011, 04:18:15 PM »
Well how did the game work?

Two players competed. To get to the Banko board, you essentially played Stumpers with five clues, giving two to start. If both clues got by your opponent, you could stop and take 2 spins at the board, or risk it by showing the opponent another clue for 3 turns. This continued until you decided to stop, you gave all five, or the other player solved, thus earning the spins for themselves.

The board contained 24 prizes, and a star in the center square which was "always an instant win." The game started with some (four?) prizes already revealed. Stopping the flashing light (with a plunger and the cringe-worthy cry of "BANKO!") revealed a prize, and sometimes an extra direction (free turn, flip flop of control, etc.). The contestant who lit up the fifth prize in a row of five, or the one who hit the star, won the game and went to the bonus round.

The bonus round replaced the prizes with dollar amounts, but kept the star. If you hit $200, for example, all other $200 squares went blank. But in the bonus round, the used squares didn't go out of the shuffle. If you hit a blank, you lost the bonus game, and all your money. (Sound familiar?) But if you reached the money goal, or hit the star, you kept your earnings, plus some B&E type prizes.

The prizes in the winning line, and the prizes won in the bonus, were what the home audience was crossing off their cards. Wink hosted, Charlie O'Donnell announced.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

dazztardly

Broadcasting Magazine
« Reply #389 on: June 09, 2011, 06:00:30 PM »
Thank you, Jason :)