Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Where do you differ from the norm?  (Read 72169 times)

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
Where do you differ from the norm?
« Reply #195 on: July 10, 2011, 05:13:29 PM »
Or just give clues.  It's satisfying to think of something the giver on the show couldn't come up with.

That's how I do it most of the time. Other times I just take off my glasses, because without them, I can't read the screen unless I'm literally on top of it.
Bobby Peacock

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #196 on: July 11, 2011, 08:49:11 AM »
Wouldn't it be even harder to read the screen when it's directly below you?

Or just give clues.  It's satisfying to think of something the giver on the show couldn't come up with.
Or, like Bill Simmons, you just tune in for Dick Clark being, well, Dick.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 08:51:05 AM by Mr. Armadillo »

TonicBH

« Reply #197 on: July 11, 2011, 03:52:44 PM »
I too am in the boat who doesn't mind Drew and actually doesn't care much for Barker on Price. Granted, 70s-early 90s Bob is great, but by 2002 that it felt like he was going through the motions making everything a big spectacle even if somebody picked their nose. Probably didn't help that there was that Fremantle corporate shakeup and Rich replacing the late Rod going on around that time, that might have something to do with it.

I really don't care much for modern game shows like Minute to Win It or Million Dollar Money Drop. It's relying too much on suspenseful gimmicks hosted by comedians or TV personalities.

For me, most of Chuck Barris' shows were absolute crap save for The Gong Show. I don't fondly remember The Newlywed Game at all. (Despite I have about a dozen episodes of it on tape thanks to recording GSN at my dad's work.)

I think those are all that I can name offhand...
You Found a Secret Area: The place where I write about dumb game show and video game stuff occasionally.

BrandonFG

« Reply #198 on: July 11, 2011, 05:02:21 PM »
I really don't care much for modern game shows like Minute to Win It or Million Dollar Money Drop. It's relying too much on suspenseful gimmicks hosted by comedians or TV personalities.
Trust me. I don't think you're too far in the minority there. ;-)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

MTCesquire

« Reply #199 on: July 11, 2011, 07:14:38 PM »
Or, like Bill Simmons, you just tune in for Dick Clark being, well, Dick.

Final Pyramid?

Oh, he means the Winner's Circle.  You'd think he would know the actual name of the bonus round on a show he claims to be one of his favorites.

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #200 on: July 11, 2011, 09:47:08 PM »
Probably didn't help that there was that Fremantle corporate shakeup.

If you're talking about announcers getting less camera time, Fremantle didn't do that. Barker did.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #201 on: July 11, 2011, 09:50:24 PM »
Probably didn't help that there was that Fremantle corporate shakeup.

If you're talking about announcers getting less camera time, Fremantle didn't do that. Barker did.

Have we been able to DEFINITIVELY prove that?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #202 on: July 11, 2011, 09:56:28 PM »
I think that's what Chris Mann believes (still not sure why his book hasn't been released yet).

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #203 on: July 11, 2011, 10:10:59 PM »
I can't believe there's still anyone who believes it wasn't Barker.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #204 on: July 11, 2011, 10:47:24 PM »
OK, here's one. I always liked Shoot for the Stars/Double Talk. I thought it was a fun word game. The American public obviously didn't agree with me.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 10:51:50 PM by chris319 »

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #205 on: July 11, 2011, 10:50:27 PM »
OK, here's one. I always liked Shoot for the Stars/Double Talk. I thought it was a fun word game. The American public obviously didn't agree with me.

Yes I agree. I thought it was a fun show, too.

Ex: "Contest Display" > "Game Show"
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 10:52:43 PM by chris319 »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #206 on: July 11, 2011, 11:36:24 PM »
Double Talk was thoroughly meh for me. LOVED Shoot For The Stars, though.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

vexer6

« Reply #207 on: July 12, 2011, 12:16:04 AM »
Trust me. I don't think you're too far in the minority there. ;-)
Yeah, i'm the biggest fan of those shows myself, they would've both been alot better if they didn't depend so much on sheer blind luck, "Supercoin" is a game that you only have about a one-in-a-trillion chance of winning(Don't Blow The Joker was pretty awful too, it was so hard that the website actually had to tell you how to play the game, and even that wouldn't help you out much) i'll bet you anything "Minute" would've lasted another season if the producers either got rid of Supercoin for good or just kept it as a bonus game and removed it from the main levels.  MDMD would've been better if the contestants weren't forced into playing all-or-nothing all the way through the game and were either given the option to walk away with some money before the final question or at least get some sort of consolation prize.

Also, I too liked Drew better then Barker on "Price"(mostly because it's hard for me to respect Barker after hearing about all the crap he's put his employees through), though to be fair most of the Barker episodes i've seen were from the 2000s, so maybe i'll like his earlier stuff better.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #208 on: July 12, 2011, 11:40:39 AM »
Yeah, i'm the biggest fan of those shows myself, they would've both been alot better if they didn't depend so much on sheer blind luck, "Supercoin" is a game that you only have about a one-in-a-trillion chance of winning(Don't Blow The Joker was pretty awful too, it was so hard that the website actually had to tell you how to play the game, and even that wouldn't help you out much) i'll bet you anything "Minute" would've lasted another season if the producers either got rid of Supercoin for good or just kept it as a bonus game and removed it from the main levels.
A million dollar game which has been played under normal circumstances exactly once will not kill a show.  There were many other factors which killed MTWI.

MDMD would've been better if the contestants weren't forced into playing all-or-nothing all the way through the game and were either given the option to walk away with some money before the final question or at least get some sort of consolation prize.
But...that's the way the game is played--get through the gauntlet of questions including a 50/50 shot at the end, take home the coin.  Where's the fun if a couple walks with half a million before the final question?  That's like ending Jeopardy! immediately after the second round.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #209 on: July 12, 2011, 12:21:14 PM »
Double Talk was thoroughly meh for me.
The host didn't help.

/And the countdown to 4500 concludes.  :)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 12:21:53 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)