Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Where do you differ from the norm?  (Read 72013 times)

SamJ93

Where do you differ from the norm?
« Reply #180 on: July 08, 2011, 02:37:16 PM »
Yet another reason not to like Donnymid.

Aside from his aforementioned inability to make some patter after WCs (which may have simply been a function of time), I thought Donny was by far the most tolerable aspect of the show.
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #181 on: July 08, 2011, 11:27:14 PM »
Yet another reason not to like Donnymid.

Aside from his aforementioned inability to make some patter after WCs (which may have simply been a function of time), I thought Donny was by far the most tolerable aspect of the show.

I agree. The writing staff and the front game format were more problematic than Donny as host was.

In differing, I really didn't mind the set or the theme all that much. Not to say the latter couldn't have had some improvement, but still.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #182 on: July 08, 2011, 11:34:48 PM »
I agree. The writing staff and the front game format were more problematic than Donny as host was.
Didn't mind the 6-in-20 so much.  Had a lot more trouble with the judging in the end game.  Too often a word that conveyed the essence of the answer was not accepted because it wasn't the "right" word.

But, yeah, Donny was adequate (wouldn't say "great" but not bad either).
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

BrandonFG

« Reply #183 on: July 08, 2011, 11:45:35 PM »
Donny was decent, except he got a little too excited during Winner's Circle losses. If he wasn't going "Ooh! Ooh! Ooh!" over an illegal clue, then he was inviting the audience to shout out missed clues. Got a little annoying, but by far one of the least offensive things about the show.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

vexer6

« Reply #184 on: July 09, 2011, 12:30:55 AM »
I enjoyed Donnymid in spite of it's flaws, the biggest flaw being the ridiculous and insanely difficult WC categories(Things Regis Coffee Cup Would Say? Colors Of The Olympic Rings? The odds of anyone correctly guessing those categories were slim to none)

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #185 on: July 09, 2011, 06:37:56 AM »
Pyramid needs a professional broadcaster as host.  Actor/Singers just do not work.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

wdm1219inpenna

« Reply #186 on: July 09, 2011, 07:31:36 AM »
I think Rolf Benirschke was given a bum rap on "Wheel of Fortune".  I thought he did alright.  

I was never a big fan of Pyramid (any version).  I think one reason was back in 1973, when I was home sick, and I saw Pyramid was on instead of the Price is Right at 10:30, I thought Price got canceled, and it upset me.  I just can't enjoy watching a show where I see all the answers and am just watching the 2 players try to communicate said answer.  Might be a bit more enjoyable if the answers could have been covered up I guess.  Just wasn't my cup of tea.

So many think Michael Berger is all that and a bag of chips.  I've watched some of his work, and he's "so/so" at best to me.  I guess I grew up on too many "old school" hosts.

Even after 30 years, I still look upon Pat Sajak as the "new" Wheel of Fortune Host.  Not saying I dislike him, just saying that I differ from the "norm" in that regard.

Never much cared for the Barry-Enright game "Bullseye".  So many game show fans seem to love it.  It was a very flawed game I felt.  One player could answer 8 questions, then have a pot stolen by just 1 answer from his opponent and lose.  While this is also true on Family Feud, at least with Feud, it's a bit more fair because the amount of money or points in the bank balances it out.  If the #1 answer is still up on the board, the bank isn't worth as much, nor should it be since #1 SHOULD be the easiest answer to get.  Conversely if the bank is 97 dollars or points, and the last answer is up there, it should be harder to get.

I never much cared for Rich Fields' announcing style.  Maybe I don't differ from the norm there, hard to tell really...

I too cannot stand "Plinko".  That may not be differing from the norm as far as us game show fans are concerned, but it does differ from the norm of the "casual" fan of "Price is Right".

Fedya

« Reply #187 on: July 09, 2011, 01:51:30 PM »
Might be a bit more enjoyable if the answers could have been covered up I guess.

Tape a piece of paper over the bottom part of the TV.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
« Reply #188 on: July 09, 2011, 02:35:25 PM »
I think Rolf Benirschke was given a bum rap on "Wheel of Fortune".  I thought he did alright.

Seconded. Even little things like "hurry, hurry!" when someone's inching past the Lose a Turn wedge show that you're at least trying to give a darn.

I never much cared for Rich Fields' announcing style.  Maybe I don't differ from the norm there, hard to tell really...

Also seconded. I actually grew to like the deeper, softer register he used when he filled in on Wheel, even though he still has that annoying habit of stretching words ("Vanna Whiiiiiiyyyyyyyyyyte"). As I've said before, I'm only a fair-weather Price fan, so I didn't realize just how shrill Rich had become over time until I went back and watched some clips on YouTube. He actually sounded great on his (click for a listen), but somewhere along the way, he devolved into a grating, screechy caricature.
Bobby Peacock

BrandonFG

« Reply #189 on: July 09, 2011, 03:59:41 PM »
Might be a bit more enjoyable if the answers could have been covered up I guess.

Tape a piece of paper over the bottom part of the TV.
Or close your eyes/look away. No more difficult than what "Password" did in all its versions, and they even said the word out loud*...

*In most versions...
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Kevin Prather

« Reply #190 on: July 09, 2011, 04:06:02 PM »
I was never a big fan of Pyramid (any version).
Why, sir, do you hate America?

vexer6

« Reply #191 on: July 09, 2011, 04:47:04 PM »
Pyramid needs a professional broadcaster as host.  Actor/Singers just do not work.
I agree for the most part(though Donny did alright by me)  Athletes don't usually make very good hosts either(Chris Jericho being an exception) John McEnroe in "The Chair" being a prime example, easily one of the aboslute WORST game show hosts of all time.

wdm1219inpenna

« Reply #192 on: July 09, 2011, 05:21:24 PM »
I was never a big fan of Pyramid (any version).
Why, sir, do you hate America?

Not a fan of Egypt, they have the Pyramids!  But seriously, I was just never a big fan of Pyramid.  Dick Clark was awesome, the endgame was chilling with that haunting clock sound effect, but it was just a game that never appealed to me as a viewer, though it would be terrific to play.  Anything that requires me to tape my TV or close my eyes isn't worth it.  If I close my eyes, it's to sleep (or when I sneeze, or am washing my hair).

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #193 on: July 09, 2011, 05:23:44 PM »
Not a fan of Egypt, they have the Pyramids!  But seriously, I was just never a big fan of Pyramid.  Dick Clark was awesome, the endgame was chilling with that haunting clock sound effect, but it was just a game that never appealed to me as a viewer, though it would be terrific to play.  Anything that requires me to tape my TV or close my eyes isn't worth it.  If I close my eyes, it's to sleep (or when I sneeze, or am washing my hair).
Then turn your back to the TV.  That's how my sister and I played along with Pyramid as kids.

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #194 on: July 10, 2011, 04:11:06 AM »
Or just give clues.  It's satisfying to think of something the giver on the show couldn't come up with.