Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Interesting TRIO tidbit  (Read 3794 times)

PeterMarshallFan

Interesting TRIO tidbit
« on: November 18, 2003, 04:30:30 PM »
TRIO will be airing 3 eps of "Queen For a Day" w/ Jack Bailey next month.

In other news, they will also be reprising the "Battle of the Network Stars" eps they showed earlier this year.

SimpsonGeek

Interesting TRIO tidbit
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2003, 04:59:46 PM »
Does anybody know how many eps of QfaD exist?

zachhoran

Interesting TRIO tidbit
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2003, 06:36:45 PM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Nov 18 2003, 04:30 PM\'] TRIO will be airing 3 eps of "Queen For a Day" w/ Jack Bailey next month.

[/quote]
 Trio's just trying to grab that younger demo with QfaD reruns. Well, Bob Barker makes occasional references to it on TPIR. I wonder if these episodes will be among the episode(s) that are on the game show trading circuit. Still, Trio is being nice and showing something not seen in eons, just after we were wondering why cable networks don't want to air shows of any non-recent vintage.

uncamark

Interesting TRIO tidbit
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2003, 08:58:21 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Nov 18 2003, 06:36 PM\'][quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Nov 18 2003, 04:30 PM\'] TRIO will be airing 3 eps of "Queen For a Day" w/ Jack Bailey next month.

[/quote]
Trio's just trying to grab that younger demo with QfaD reruns. Well, Bob Barker makes occasional references to it on TPIR. I wonder if these episodes will be among the episode(s) that are on the game show trading circuit. Still, Trio is being nice and showing something not seen in eons, just after we were wondering why cable networks don't want to air shows of any non-recent vintage.[/quote]
They've got a reason.  It's part of a theme month called "Awards Mania."  Among some of the other things to be aired are all three screen versions of "A Star is Born," the Natalie Wood film "Inside Daisy Clover," the Miss America pageants that crowned Vanessa Williams and Mary Ann Mobley (the first time Miss America pageants have been repeated *ever*), the doc "Last Man Standing" (about a last-hand-on-a-SUV-wins-it contest in Arizona), the Oscar-winning doc "The Great American Cowboy," eps of legendary gossip columnist Hedda Hopper's TV series (bet you never knew she had one),  the Robert DeNiro AFI tribute, last year's USA Network coverage of the Westminister Dog Show, "Pumping Iron II:  The Women" (not the one with AHN-old?) and a doc about an Elvis impersonators contest.  There's also two original docs on awards shows and the Golden Globes--and the "Battle of the Network Stars" shows.

This is the press release for the theme month from the channel you can't get but has the most interesting-sounding programming.

Tim L

Interesting TRIO tidbit
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2003, 12:46:44 AM »
Trio also shows complete Hour long Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In.  When the showwas  in syndication a number of years ago, they showed the program in Half-hour segments.  I happened to see a part of George C. Scott's 1963-64  East Side, West Side Drama (originally CBS) Very gritty and dramatic..kind of depressing IMO..no wonder it lasted just one season.

Tim Lones

Ob Game show..Rowan And Martin appeared together on You Don't Say!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2003, 01:04:38 AM by Tim L »

zachhoran

Interesting TRIO tidbit
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2003, 08:12:52 AM »
[quote name=\'Tim L\' date=\'Nov 19 2003, 12:46 AM\']
Ob Game show..Rowan And Martin appeared together on You Don't Say! [/quote]
 Rowan and Martin also appeared together on Celeb Sweepstakes. Rowan appeared sans Martin on Tattletales '8x. And Martin hosted Cheap Show and Mindreaders and was a guest on too many shows to mention here.

Ian Wallis

Interesting TRIO tidbit
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2003, 08:54:48 AM »
. Rowan and Martin also appeared together on Celeb Sweepstakes. Rowan appeared sans Martin on Tattletales '8x.

I was aware that they appeared together on "Celebrity Sweepstakes", but I thought they also appeared together at least once on "Tattletales".  Usually when Dick Martin appeared, Bob Newhart also appeared (and we all know his wife hasn't cleared those shows for reruns), but I was sure there was one week where Dan Rowan appeared with Dick and Bob.  

I think I'll go check my old TVGuides to see if I can find the week it happened...
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

DjohnsonCB

Interesting TRIO tidbit
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2003, 09:19:13 AM »
I couldn't get Trio even if I went digital : (

Any day now I expect them to start showing reruns of "Spin-Off", "Linus The Lionhearted" and "The Good Guys".
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

Matt Ottinger

Interesting TRIO tidbit
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2003, 10:38:05 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Nov 19 2003, 09:54 AM\'] I was aware that they appeared together on "Celebrity Sweepstakes", but I thought they also appeared together at least once on "Tattletales".  Usually when Dick Martin appeared, Bob Newhart also appeared (and we all know his wife hasn't cleared those shows for reruns), but I was sure there was one week where Dan Rowan appeared with Dick and Bob.  

I think I'll go check my old TVGuides to see if I can find the week it happened... [/quote]
 You don't have to.  Thanks to matchgame.org and the Tattletales episode guide, we can see that Rowan and Martin both played Tattletales along with their significant others on the week of March 15-19, 1982.

http://www.matchgame.org/episodeguides/tattletales/tt82.html
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Interesting TRIO tidbit
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2003, 11:28:20 AM »
[quote name=\'DjohnsonCB\' date=\'Nov 19 2003, 07:19 AM\'] I couldn't get Trio even if I went digital : (
 [/quote]
 I can (I think), but the putzes at Comcast have multiple levels of even the BASIC digital tier, and this pisses me off. It's an extra $2.95 if I want the package that has VH1 Classic Rock, and then another $6 for the one with Trio and TechTV. I won't pay it on principle.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

Interesting TRIO tidbit
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2003, 12:18:40 PM »
As an example of my skewed value system, principles went out the window for me when Trio ran Joel Stein's week of shows, including Battle of the Network Stars.  So I gave Comcast their blood money -- and I find myself watching a LOT of Trio -- but I'm looking very seriously into a dish.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

tommycharles

Interesting TRIO tidbit
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2003, 12:33:51 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Nov 19 2003, 12:18 PM\'] As an example of my skewed value system, principles went out the window for me when Trio ran Joel Stein's week of shows, including Battle of the Network Stars.  So I gave Comcast their blood money -- and I find myself watching a LOT of Trio -- but I'm looking very seriously into a dish. [/quote]
 Actually, stupid as this sounds, but Trio happened to be the very reason we went with Direct TV over anything else.

Any channel that airs "God, the Devil and Bob" is worth my buck.

OBGameshows....they showed "Battle of the Network Stars" and "Idiot Savants"

OBIdiot Savants....having seen this for the first time when TRiO showed it, I have to wonder...why hasn't this been revived????

T

uncamark

Interesting TRIO tidbit
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2003, 12:45:21 PM »
[quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'Nov 19 2003, 12:33 PM\']OBIdiot Savants....having seen this for the first time when TRiO showed it, I have to wonder...why hasn't this been revived????[/quote]
Probably because it's become an orphan in the MTV Networks library after its initial unsuccessful run (they didn't even repeat the series, which is unusual for MTV Networks).  As time went on after the first couple of weeks, the Friday shows (which, for those of you who remember, resolved the issue for the week, since all four contestants played for the entire week) got consistently pre-empted.

At the time, in my very first a.t.g-s post, I suggested that the show be moved to Comedy Central (which was then half-owned by MTV), as it really fit that channel better than MTV, which was even then starting to be absorbed by the Beavis and Butt-Head/Spring Break mentality.  At least COM came up with a better show (IMHO) a year later with "WBSM," but "IS" was a fun show to watch that proved that you could do a reasonably hardcore Q&A with comedy and "attitude" and it would work.

But Michael Dugan, the show's creator, doesn't work for MTV Networks anymore and I assume the format's not even in the MTV or King World overseas format catalogs.  A shame.

zachhoran

Interesting TRIO tidbit
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2003, 12:46:21 PM »
[quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'Nov 19 2003, 12:33 PM\']

OBIdiot Savants....having seen this for the first time when TRiO showed it, I have to wonder...why hasn't this been revived????

[/quote]
 My guess is that a Q&A show just wasn't popular on MTV after Remote Control, which is why it, Turn It Up, and Webriot all died in six months or less. As to a revival, it would have been a good fit for Comedy Central or possibly even GSN. It was reported in 1997 on Usenet that COmedy Central considered picking up Savants, but decided instead on the Make Me Laugh revival.

PeterMarshallFan

Interesting TRIO tidbit
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2003, 05:55:08 PM »
Another Rowan and Martin GS credit is NBC's "Ultra Quiz" from 1981.