Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Most Impressive Set Piece Created  (Read 12799 times)

Jeremy Nelson

Most Impressive Set Piece Created
« on: July 04, 2010, 08:16:59 AM »
At some point or another, you've probably turned on a game show and seen some elaborate set piece that made you think "Man, that's actually pretty neat". What's your favorite?

I know some people thought Press Your Luck's Big Board was a wonder for its time, but my vote goes to the awesome Second Chance "Open Book" board.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 08:18:15 AM by Jeremy Nelson »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 09:29:44 AM »
NYSI '74's Big Board.  On the other hand, I wonder how "Cash Cab"'s set compares in price to a studio set?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

NickS

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 09:30:21 AM »
[quote name=\'Jeremy Nelson\' post=\'243597\' date=\'Jul 4 2010, 07:16 AM\']At some point or another, you've probably turned on a game show and seen some elaborate set piece that made you think "Man, that's actually pretty neat". What's your favorite?

I know some people thought Press Your Luck's Big Board was a wonder for its time, but my vote goes to the awesome Second Chance "Open Book" board.[/quote]

The Scrabble cube.  On screen, it's one thing, but seeing it backstage it's monolithic.

I'd give the Wipeout (ABC) team a second place if and only if because it's the closest thing we'll get to Sasuke and Takeshi's Castle.

BrandonFG

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 09:45:52 AM »
Probably the big board from Bullseye, for all the flashy lights and what not.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 09:49:23 AM »
Anya.  She is a piece (of ass) and she was created by two cold, lonely Russians back in the 80s.

Among non-humans, the Magnificent Marble Machine.  The supersized pinball machine is, obviously, a sight to behold.  Based on what I've read, the amount of electronics to run the machine is mind-blowing.

opimus

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 10:00:01 AM »
The Money Maze.

JepMasta

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 10:44:33 AM »
Well considering my name, I am obviously a bit biased, but I really love Jeopardy!'s current set, with the bank of 42" HD monitors in the big board, and that MASSIVE HDTV sitting mid-set for the FJ! category.  I just think it looks awesome.

After that...probably the old WOF Puzzleboard and the original flip-dot display FF Fast Money board.

DrBear

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 10:52:33 AM »
The full-size game board for Video Village/Shenanigans.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2010, 02:32:19 PM »
I've always enjoyed the huge video wall MG-HSH used.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2010, 05:12:05 PM »
[quote name=\'JepMasta\' post=\'243605\' date=\'Jul 4 2010, 07:44 AM\']with the bank of 42" HD monitors in the big board[/quote]
Do you have a source for this? I have a 42" HD screen in my living room, and based on images like this:

http://thewizardofoz.info/pics/jeopardy20091116a.jpg

...I have a hard time buying that those individual screens are 42" diagonal. 32", maybe?

(I welcome the opportunity to be wrong. I just question the information, that's all.)

EDIT: Never mind. This article corraborates that information. I'm still unsure, but hey.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 05:14:35 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Ian Wallis

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2010, 06:26:29 PM »
I've always loved the board from '76 Break the Bank (a show I wish GSN would show the complete run of).  I'd have loved to have seen what it looked like from underneath and how they changed everything around between games!
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Jay Temple

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2010, 07:16:20 PM »
My first thought was The Magnificent Marble Machine, but The Big Money Maze is right up there. I'd have to call it a draw. The Maze was probably more awe-inspiring for its size, but the mechanics of the Machine even it out.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

LA the DJ

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2010, 08:35:48 PM »
My personal top three:

1. The MG/HSH video wall impressed me a lot as a kid.
2. The Fun House (Though it got *too* big in the last season, IMO)
3. Winning Lines' Wonderwall

All were very impressive for their time period.
Help control the moron population, if you know a moron, kick him in a strategic location.

SuperMatch93

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2010, 08:40:47 PM »
I enjoy the former Hurdles board.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

TimK2003

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2010, 09:01:03 PM »
The MMM Pinball ranks up there, but the first thing that left me in a state of awe when I was a young'un was the Joker's Wild slot machine.  I thought that the "slides" were as tall as the windows back in the day and that there were 6 slides to a wheel.

I also was attracted to the set for "Hit Man", with a generous use of color (red, blue, yellow & green),  and new sound effects for the game show genre.  The board for Three on a Match also lured me in as a 5-year old because of the colors.

And I liked how the celebrity area for Battlestars seemed to "float" out in space.