Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Soap Opera Digest" issue w/"Noot's Game" info on eBay  (Read 2847 times)

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
"Soap Opera Digest" issue w/"Noot's Game" info on eBay
« on: June 08, 2010, 03:35:03 PM »
A curious search for "game show pilot" on eBay led me to this listing for the June 1977 Soap Opera Digest. One of the topics discussed in that issue is Julius LaRosa's then-new game show pilot Noot's Game.

The issue is "Buy It Now" for $50, and the Noot's Game article is four pages with pictures. It isn't mentioned on the Pilot Light, nor is it held by UCLA or Paley Center.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 12:37:25 PM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

Jimmy Owen

"Soap Opera Digest" issue on Ebay
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 05:56:01 PM »
[quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'242107\' date=\'Jun 8 2010, 03:35 PM\']A curious search for "game show pilot" on Ebay led me to this listing for the June 1977 Soap Opera Digest. One of the topics discussed in that issue is Julius LaRosa's new game show pilot Noot's Game.

The issue is "Buy It Now" for $50, and the Noot's Game article is four pages with pictures.

/not on the Pilot Light whatsoever. I checked.[/quote]
I remember reading that at the newsstand, didn't have enough to buy it. Plus, I thought it would look weird for a 16-year old male to be buying Soap Opera Digest.  Pretty good article, as I recall.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

mmb5

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 09:25:46 PM »
The pursuit of academic knowledge at this point is not worth $50.
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

BrandonFG

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 10:01:49 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'242127\' date=\'Jun 8 2010, 09:25 PM\']The pursuit of academic knowledge at this point is not worth $50.[/quote]
So will you going to give us more info on Noot's Game?!
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 01:32:11 AM »
Has anybody know about "Noot's Game"?
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Mr. Game Show

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 01:47:59 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'242130\' date=\'Jun 8 2010, 10:01 PM\'][quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'242127\' date=\'Jun 8 2010, 09:25 PM\']The pursuit of academic knowledge at this point is not worth $50.[/quote]
So will you going to give us more info on Noot's Game?!
[/quote]

Hi Everyone !

I was in the studio audience for this Pilot. It was one of many NYC based Pilots I attended. It was taped at NBC in NYC. Im pretty sure it was Studio 6A. Noot's Game was a Simon Laughlin production, and I believe I have a ticket in my collection. I believe Bill Wendell was the announcer. What I can recall,  the audience was divided into 3 sections (think Tattletales), where they had a chance to win cash and prizes. The game surrounded a great deal of interaction between Mr LaRosa, and his animated Co-Host. For 1977, I thought the computerized animations were outstanding. Sadly, from what little I can recall as I type this, the game itself wasn't all that great. No disrespect to Mr LaRosa, as he was a wonderful entertainer... but he seemed uncomfortable, which is understandable for hosting a Network Game Show Pilot. What puzzled me, was the choice of Mr LaRosa... Not that he was bad, but he was mainly  known as a singer, and his singing talents were never utilized in the Pilot. Kind of an odd choice. I went with a few friends to the taping, and we all agreed the Pilot would not make it to series. We guessed right.

NBC tried this format again in 1983, in another Pilot (this time by Heatter-Quigley), "Malcolm" with Alex Trebek, which was taped at NBC Burbank. If you want to get an idea of the Noot's animation, check out this Malcolm's Tube Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v25NjhuqEso . Malcolm didn't sell either. If you watch the bonus round video clip on You Tube (Part 2), listen carefully to the clock ticking sound. It's same as the Dick Clark versions of Pyramid.

If I can think of any more details, I will post it here.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 11:39:03 AM »
Cool, you just saved Mike Burger fifty bucks!
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

CarbonCpy

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 10:14:08 PM »
"Noot?"  This couldn't possibly in reference to a "Mr. Nootrac" that appeared on IGAS '72, could it?

BrandonFG

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 10:18:22 PM »
[quote name=\'Mr. Game Show\' post=\'242138\' date=\'Jun 9 2010, 01:47 AM\']I was in the studio audience for this Pilot.[/quote]
Very cool! Thanks for the synopsis!
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 11:00:44 PM »
[quote name=\'CarbonCpy\' post=\'242198\' date=\'Jun 9 2010, 07:14 PM\']"Noot?"  This couldn't possibly in reference to a "Mr. Nootrac" that appeared on IGAS '72, could it?[/quote]That was exactly the way my brain had tried to connect the dots before the information about "Malcolm" was revealed.
Travis L. Eberle