Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Dick Clark Interview  (Read 1877 times)

inturnaround

New Dick Clark Interview
« on: November 15, 2003, 10:38:14 AM »
The humor newspaper/website "The Onion" has an interview with entertainment legend Dick Clark in their "The Onion AV Club" section. Included are a few questions that pertain to game shows. (One interesting non-game show tidbit comes from the interview where Clark reveals that he's planning a return of American Bandstand next year in the syndication market)

O: You hosted The $10,000 Pyramid, and later $25,000 Pyramid, for ages. Where have all the great game shows gone?

DC: I don't know. They appeal to the old, unfortunately, and for that reason, they're hard to find. Very few new ones are being developed—the last thing we did was Greed. Most of the Game Show Network, as hard as they're trying, appeals to a rather mature audience, though they're working on pushing the demo down. It's tough.

O: It's interesting how quickly game shows became nostalgia pieces for so many people. Other than The Price Is Right, which isn't going to be around that much longer, there's not a lot to choose from.

DC: When Bob Barker decides to hang it up, it's not impossible for someone else to come along. He is The Man, no doubt about it, and they've tried to do it with other people in other forms that have failed. But if the necessity arose, I would imagine there would be somebody adept enough to do it. Nobody quite as good as Bob, though.

O: Speaking of game shows, what is your relationship with [former Gong Show host] Chuck Barris?

DC: He's probably my oldest friend.

O: Now, he was originally hired to guard you? That's what he said when we interviewed him.

DC: He was there to make sure I didn't take money for playing records. That was the beginning of the Standards & Practices department at ABC. He went out, bought a suit, and commuted to New York from Philadelphia every day to take copious notes and make sure I was behaving.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2003, 10:38:59 AM by inturnaround »
Joe Coughlin     
Human

TheInquisitiveOne

New Dick Clark Interview
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2003, 01:16:23 AM »
Good stuff; thanks for the link. In an off-topic sense, I wonder why Clark moved the American Music Awards to One Sunday Night every November as opposed to One Monday Night every January (as was the last trend). I am very curious and baffled.

The Inquisitive One
This is the Way.

Adam Nedeff

New Dick Clark Interview
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2003, 01:21:20 AM »
In an off-topic sense, I wonder why Clark moved the American Music Awards to One Sunday Night every November as opposed to One Monday Night every January (as was the last trend). I am very curious and baffled.

Sweeps.

TheInquisitiveOne

New Dick Clark Interview
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2003, 01:28:49 AM »
Sweeps.

In one word, you summed it up perfectly. Thanks!

The Inquisitive One

(Being a Radio/Television Major, I should have known that.)
This is the Way.

goongas

New Dick Clark Interview
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2003, 01:28:53 AM »
The American Music Awards were going to be too close to the Grammys (being pushed back because Oscars are being pushed back).

Also, Dick produces the Golden Globe Awards in January I believe, so he wanted some time between them.

CBSJokersWildFan

New Dick Clark Interview
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2003, 02:06:44 AM »
That was an interesting interview.  Thanks for sharing the link.