Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: CBS @ 75; An NBC Clip?  (Read 6904 times)

GSWitch

CBS @ 75; An NBC Clip?
« on: November 02, 2003, 10:00:49 PM »
That's right, game show fans!

They showed a clip from Las Vegas Gambit which was on NBC!  Even though Gambit was on CBS, the set was definately Las Vegas.

Looks like NBC should send them a thank you note!

Fedya

CBS @ 75; An NBC Clip?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2003, 10:18:01 PM »
[quote name=\'GSWitch\' date=\'Nov 2 2003, 10:00 PM\'] That's right, game show fans!

They showed a clip from Las Vegas Gambit which was on NBC!  Even though Gambit was on CBS, the set was definately Las Vegas.

Looks like NBC should send them a thank you note! [/quote]
 Are any of the original Gambit episodes even extant?
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

trainman

CBS @ 75; An NBC Clip?
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2003, 10:37:13 PM »
[quote name=\'Fedya\' date=\'Nov 2 2003, 07:18 PM\'] Are any of the original Gambit episodes even extant? [/quote]
 Well, the Museum of TV & Radio has a couple that Andy Warhol taped off the air...
trainman is a man of trains

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
CBS @ 75; An NBC Clip?
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2003, 10:45:10 PM »
They also showed Jimmy Carter signing in on WML? - de-colorized, as if that would trick us.

*tsk tsk* :)
@lambertman

MikeK

• Martha!
CBS @ 75; An NBC Clip?
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2003, 10:52:02 PM »
[quote name=\'ChrisLambert!\' date=\'Nov 2 2003, 10:45 PM\'] They also showed Jimmy Carter signing in on WML? - de-colorized, as if that would trick us.

*tsk tsk* :) [/quote]
 That's the way Carter's segment was shown on What's My Line? at 25.  Maybe WML@25 was the source for the footage.

rugrats1

CBS @ 75; An NBC Clip?
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2003, 11:35:07 PM »
Are any of the original Gambit episodes even extant?

Well, the Museum of TV & Radio has a couple that Andy Warhol taped off the air...

If they can find the CBS run of "The Joker's Wild", originally thought to be long-lost, they should also be able to find "Gambit".

cweaver

CBS @ 75; An NBC Clip?
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2003, 11:41:50 PM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Nov 2 2003, 10:52 PM\'][quote name=\'ChrisLambert!\' date=\'Nov 2 2003, 10:45 PM\'] They also showed Jimmy Carter signing in on WML? - de-colorized, as if that would trick us.

*tsk tsk* :) [/quote]
That's the way Carter's segment was shown on What's My Line? at 25.  Maybe WML@25 was the source for the footage.[/quote]
Actually, the WML@25 B&W clip was of Gerald Ford, not Jimmy Carter.  Carter wasn't elected until 1976 and WML@25 ran in '75.  

My problem with the Carter clip was that it came from the syndicated run, not the network era.

cweaver

CBS @ 75; An NBC Clip?
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2003, 11:48:59 PM »
[quote name=\'Fedya\' date=\'Nov 2 2003, 10:18 PM\'] Are any of the original Gambit episodes even extant? [/quote]
 I know there's at least one CBS promo in existence because I have a copy of it.  

Here's what I want to know:  where were "Password," "Tattletales" and "The $10,000 Pyramid"?  How about "The $64,000 Question," one of only two game shows in history to finish the prime time season at number one?

But I shouldn't complain too much, at least they showed more game show clips than the ABC special--and last year's NBC retrospective ignored game shows completely.

DrBear

CBS @ 75; An NBC Clip?
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2003, 12:05:27 AM »
[quote name=\'cweaver\' date=\'Nov 2 2003, 11:41 PM\']
Actually, the WML@25 B&W clip was of Gerald Ford, not Jimmy Carter.  Carter wasn't elected until 1976 and WML@25 ran in '75.  

My problem with the Carter clip was that it came from the syndicated run, not the network era. [/quote]
 Nope. Carter was on WML when he was Governor of Georgia in the early 70s, long before he was running for President. And I remember the clip from WML@25 as that's the only place I've ever seen it.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

ilb4ever2000

CBS @ 75; An NBC Clip?
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2003, 12:10:21 AM »
They also showed Martin & Lewis on WML? Isn't that episode missing from GSN's archives? I'm gonna assume they got that from the WML?@25 special, too.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2003, 12:11:32 AM by ilb4ever2000 »

Adam Nedeff

CBS @ 75; An NBC Clip?
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2003, 01:03:12 AM »
If they can find the CBS run of "The Joker's Wild", originally thought to be long-lost, they should also be able to find "Gambit".

That's specious reasoning. "Joker" reruns were found more or less accidentally, not as part of a mission. "Joker" also became a long-running, profitable franchise in syndication, which was more of an incentive to preserve the tapes (even if they were just forgotten about for many years). "Gambit" episodes are completely unattached to all of this, nevermind that, unlike "Joker," "Gambit" was run by a packaging company with a rather poor track record for preservation anyway.

Jimmy Owen

CBS @ 75; An NBC Clip?
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2003, 02:45:34 AM »
The Carter clip was also on one of the William Shatner-hosted Goodson clip shows.  In May of 1975, Jimmy Carter was just a guy with an interesting job, he was not a national figure, so I'm inclined to think the WML retrospective had only Gerald Ford (as I recall that was about the only clip from the syndie), though I haven't seen the show since its first ABC network airing. As for the syndicated version being allowed to air on the CBS@75 show, well it did air on WCBS from 72-75.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

GSWitch

CBS @ 75; An NBC Clip?
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2003, 05:49:39 AM »
[quote name=\'cweaver\' date=\'Nov 2 2003, 10:48 PM\'] Here's what I want to know:  where were "Password," "Tattletales" and "The $10,000 Pyramid"?  How about "The $64,000 Question," one of only two game shows in history to finish the prime time season at number one?

But I shouldn't complain too much, at least they showed more game show clips than the ABC special--and last year's NBC retrospective ignored game shows completely. [/quote]
 They did show $64,000 Question!  At least on the 50th anniversary honoring Television City, they had a game show section with Barker hosting.

On NBC's 75th special, Diedre Hall asked Kelsey Grammer if there would be a salute to daytime & Kelsey said no.  

If I had been that Days of Our Lives star, I would've walked out of the audience on live tv in protest!  

Maybe they were afraid of having Anne Robinson over!

jrjgames

CBS @ 75; An NBC Clip?
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2003, 07:58:27 AM »
Well who spotted the Peter clip which was from the pilot of Rodeo Drive!!

John

Ian Wallis

CBS @ 75; An NBC Clip?
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2003, 09:07:42 AM »

There's also one complete episode in the trade curcuit, but I'm not sure where it originated.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!