Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: CBS at 75  (Read 2373 times)

DrBear

CBS at 75
« on: November 01, 2003, 06:36:55 PM »
Hope somebody provides a nice summary in here of any game appearances or other highlights; the Green Bay CBS-owned station dumped it to get the local rights to ESPN's coverage of the Packers-Vikings game. They're showing the CBS thing after the game...news....postgame show...maybe about 1 a.m. I ain't staying up.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

Matt Ottinger

CBS at 75
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2003, 07:08:17 PM »
This IS why God invented VCRs, you know.  

Not TiVo, though, as I'm just starting to learn.  Your local station almost certainly won't get the schedule change to the listing service in time for TiVo to recognize the dramatic time change.

OB Game Shows:  This morning, our local CBS affiliate ran the "Daytime TV" package the network provided them to push the Sunday special.  Despite the fact that the intro script referred to "those classic game shows", TPIR was the only one that was mentioned.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

opimus

CBS at 75
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2003, 07:39:16 PM »
You can manually set up a recording on Tivo.  1. Choose the"Pick programs to record option"n press select. Then click on "Record by time or channel" and follow the on- screen instructions,

Fedya

CBS at 75
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2003, 07:43:13 PM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Nov 1 2003, 06:36 PM\'] Hope somebody provides a nice summary in here of any game appearances or other highlights; the Green Bay CBS-owned station dumped it to get the local rights to ESPN's coverage of the Packers-Vikings game. They're showing the CBS thing after the game...news....postgame show...maybe about 1 a.m. I ain't staying up. [/quote]
 You do realize that NFL rules require that the ESPN games be broadcast on one of the local over-the-air channels in the home market?  I'm sure the CBS station was contracted for this long before they knew the parent network would be airing a schedule that night.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

GSWitch

CBS at 75
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2003, 08:16:28 PM »
Don't feel bad.  The last time a local CBS affiliate carried an ESPN NFL game over something important; 1991 When the Washington DC CBS station had a Redskins Game which bumped the 7th game of The World Series!

trainman

CBS at 75
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2003, 10:06:00 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Nov 1 2003, 04:08 PM\'] Not TiVo, though, as I'm just starting to learn.  Your local station almost certainly won't get the schedule change to the listing service in time for TiVo to recognize the dramatic time change. [/quote]
 These preemptions for broadcast coverage of Sunday night NFL games in the home markets of the teams playing are scheduled way in advance, so Green Bay-area TiVos should be able to pick it up.

The problem, though, then becomes that "CBS at 75" will now be following a football game, so its actual start and end times may not match what's listed in the TiVo schedule.  But that's what the recording padding options are for.
trainman is a man of trains

DrBear

CBS at 75
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2003, 11:50:48 PM »
I'm stuck. No Tivo (too costly), no VCR (it's not working). Just was wondering. And to be honest, the CBS special will draw bigger ratings at 1 a.m. than it would have in prime time opposite a Packer game in Green Bay (Packer games get about an 80-85 share).

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
CBS at 75
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2003, 12:56:22 AM »
[quote name=\'Fedya\' date=\'Nov 1 2003, 06:43 PM\'][quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Nov 1 2003, 06:36 PM\'] Hope somebody provides a nice summary in here of any game appearances or other highlights; the Green Bay CBS-owned station dumped it to get the local rights to ESPN's coverage of the Packers-Vikings game. They're showing the CBS thing after the game...news....postgame show...maybe about 1 a.m. I ain't staying up. [/quote]
You do realize that NFL rules require that the ESPN games be broadcast on one of the local over-the-air channels in the home market?  I'm sure the CBS station was contracted for this long before they knew the parent network would be airing a schedule that night.[/quote]
Even so, because it's Disney-owned ESPN carrying the games, ABC stations usually wind up with the local broadcast rights (example, WISN in Milwaukee and KSTP in Minneapolis, both of whom are ABC outlets, are also showing the game).  Not sure why WBAY in Green Bay didn't get the rights or passed on them (money's a good guess, but that's not official).  

Doug -- soon to celebrate 200 posts
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

DrBear

CBS at 75
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2003, 01:23:06 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Nov 2 2003, 12:56 AM\'] Even so, because it's Disney-owned ESPN carrying the games, ABC stations usually wind up with the local broadcast rights (example, WISN in Milwaukee and KSTP in Minneapolis, both of whom are ABC outlets, are also showing the game).  Not sure why WBAY in Green Bay didn't get the rights or passed on them (money's a good guess, but that's not official). [/quote]
 Ever since ESPN/TNT started carrying Sunday games, WFRV has been the carrying station. (It was ABC in those days; didn't switch to CBS until 1992 when the network bought it.) So they've probably just stayed with it, and in Green Bay, they're willing to pay. (WFRV also has the preseason rights).

ObGameShow: Ray Nitschke and Vince Lombardi of the '60s Packers both appeared as contestants on What's My Line?