Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show Congress  (Read 10343 times)

tvrandywest

Game Show Congress
« on: August 20, 2009, 01:22:35 PM »
I hate to release a drop of blood into the sharktank and start a premature feeding frenzy, but there is encouraging news about another Game Show Congress weekend. Paul Bailey, King of GSC, is working on details with a tentative date of November 14-15 in Los Angeles, and I will help him spread further information as it becomes available.

For now, I just want to share the encouraging news and suggest that folks pencil-in that weekend on their calendars.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

chad1m

Game Show Congress
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 01:56:16 PM »
As someone who would consider going for the first time if it is "any good", could someone fill me in on what exactly past events have entailed? Are there any entry or membership fees? I don't mean to come off like a moron, but I'd just like to get a full on general description. :)

pacdude

Game Show Congress
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 01:57:01 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'223489\' date=\'Aug 20 2009, 01:56 PM\']As someone who would consider going for the first time if it is "any good", could someone fill me in on what exactly past events have entailed? Are there any entry or membership fees? I don't mean to come off like a moron, but I'd just like to get a full on general description. :)[/quote]

I second the sentiment. I'd really like to go.

Winkfan

Game Show Congress
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 02:01:49 PM »
Randy, my fingers are crossed!!!!!

Cordially,
Tammy
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Game Show Congress
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 02:51:19 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'223489\' date=\'Aug 20 2009, 10:56 AM\']As someone who would consider going for the first time if it is "any good", could someone fill me in on what exactly past events have entailed? Are there any entry or membership fees? I don't mean to come off like a moron, but I'd just like to get a full on general description. :)[/quote]
Imagine 100 guys who can't get a date on a Saturday night standing around going "boop boop boop boop boop" in unison.

You think I'm kidding? It was enough to send Bob Eubanks running. Ask him.

joshg

Game Show Congress
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 03:31:54 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'223496\' date=\'Aug 20 2009, 10:51 AM\']Imagine 100 guys who can't get a date on a Saturday night standing around going "boop boop boop boop boop" in unison.

You think I'm kidding? It was enough to send Bob Eubanks running. Ask him.[/quote]

Excuse me!?!? Some of us were/are married...
Too bad we weren't playing 'Card Sharks'.

Josh
Because Chiffon Wrinkles...

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Game Show Congress
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 04:23:50 PM »
[quote name=\'joshg\' post=\'223497\' date=\'Aug 20 2009, 12:31 PM\'][quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'223496\' date=\'Aug 20 2009, 10:51 AM\']Imagine 100 guys who can't get a date on a Saturday night standing around going "boop boop boop boop boop" in unison.

You think I'm kidding? It was enough to send Bob Eubanks running. Ask him.[/quote]

Excuse me!?!? Some of us were/are married...[/quote]
ISTR you weren't married at the time, bubba.

tvrandywest

Game Show Congress
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 04:26:15 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'223496\' date=\'Aug 20 2009, 11:51 AM\']Imagine 100 guys who can't get a date on a Saturday night standing around going "boop boop boop boop boop" in unison...[/quote]
Pretty harsh from a guy who has regularly attended, enthusiastically participated, and generously contributed a memorable MG event. Or have I given undue weight to your humorous comment?

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 04:29:23 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Game Show Man

• Admiral Anaheim, Big Joey Numbers, etc.
Game Show Congress
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 06:07:32 PM »
[quote name=\'pacdude\' post=\'223490\' date=\'Aug 20 2009, 10:57 AM\'][quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'223489\' date=\'Aug 20 2009, 01:56 PM\']As someone who would consider going for the first time if it is "any good", could someone fill me in on what exactly past events have entailed? Are there any entry or membership fees? I don't mean to come off like a moron, but I'd just like to get a full on general description. :)[/quote]

I second the sentiment. I'd really like to go.
[/quote]

That sounds like my cue.

The GSC normally takes place over the course of a weekend, though there is an unofficial "icebreaker" event that precedes the main activities.

Most of the events take place on the first day, Saturday.  In past, there have been viewing rooms, and reunions of series crew/talent and contestants (2005 featured a Concentration event, and 2006 featured Tic Tac Dough) as well as other surprises.  This year, we are featuring a Game Show Design Workshop, giving folks a chance to help create one of more new formats.  For those not particularly interested in the production side, <shameless plug> we have what has come to be known as the "Game Show Tournament" (no relation to Tim Connolly's famous NCAA-style voting event, though Tim has been involved with previous incarnations of our event).  Gordon Pepper (reality editor for GameShowNewsNet.com) and myself were the GST's originators (with Paul's blessing of course), and our friends Ben Ziek and Travis Schario came on board to help us in 2006.  The GST is exactly what it sounds like:  GSC attendees divide themselves into teams of four, and play recreations of some of our favorite game shows, hosted by us, and featuring new questions/puzzles/etc. written by us and, when possible, Flash-animation game boards, usually programmed by Travis.   There are no real prizes (yet), so the GST is played mostly for bragging rights, and for the sheer fun of it.</shameless plug>

Yes, we will do intend to put on the GST this year, so get your teams together, if you're interested.  We don't need help picking out the games, though some help with question writing (especially in my case :D) and with programming (just to take some of the pressure off of Travis, who's a phenomenal programmer, but I'm sure could use a little help).  An e-mail in my (and Gordon's and Travis') direction would be most appreciated for those interested in helping.

The second day features our famous "Legends Luncheon," and as the name implies, that's when the stars usually come out.  We usually give two awards at the event: one is the Bill Cullen Lifetime Achievement Award (in 2007, given to no less than Bob Stewart) and the other is the Ralph Edwards Community Service Award (last presented to Wink Martindale).  In 2007, we added a third award, the Arlene Francis Celebrity Player Award (correct me if I got the title wrong), and it was first given as a surprise to Betty White, who was present to speak about Stewart.  She'll be there again this year to receive the Cullen Award on behalf of her late husband Allen Ludden, who has been chosen as this year's recipient. We have not yet chosen an Edwards Award recipient yet, so nominations are still open, as far as I know.

Following the Luncheon is the conclusion of the GST, and the appearance of Mike Burger's (that's OUR Mike Burger, for those paying attention) Game Show Round software, serving as the finals of the GST, along with several pickup games for those interested parties.

In 2007, the Forum's own Chris Clementson...as Randy mentioned...put on Match Game Live, a full-fledged (though independent of the GST) recreation of the 1973-82 show, with Randy hosting and several of our regulars (including my lucky self) as panel members, and featuring GSC-goers as contestants.  Chris even put up the prize money for the winner!  (Chris, will you repeating that this year?)

As a GSC veteran, I cannot recommend it enough, if only to put a face to the names of people you've only heard about, and to rub elbows with some of the elite of our favorite genre of television.  I do hope you guys will try to join us in November.  We didn't get to do it last year, and we really want to try and make this the best GSC yet.  Previous GSC's have had a nominal entry fee, though has been announced yet for this year's event.

Please join us, won't you, friends?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 06:09:29 PM by Game Show Man »
"Game Show Man" Joe Van Ginkel
captvangin@aol.com
"Remember, reality bites, so WATCH MORE GAME SHOWS!"

Timsterino

Game Show Congress
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 06:11:27 PM »
I wish I could go but there is no way I can justify a trip to L.A. just for the weekend. I teach in November, so making a longer trip at that time is out of the question.

Bummer.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Game Show Congress
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2009, 06:51:28 PM »
[quote name=\'Game Show Man\' post=\'223506\' date=\'Aug 20 2009, 03:07 PM\']This year, we are featuring a Game Show Design Workshop, giving folks a chance to help create one of more new formats.[/quote]
They're *still* pushing for that? Sigh.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Tim L

Game Show Congress
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2009, 07:42:26 PM »
It would take me a lot of planning financially to go somewhere that far away..would love to sometime, though..Not to be negative, but it seems to me that about every format possible has been done in Game Shows in the last 60 years or so,,

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Game Show Congress
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2009, 08:28:28 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' post=\'223501\' date=\'Aug 20 2009, 01:26 PM\'][quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'223496\' date=\'Aug 20 2009, 11:51 AM\']Imagine 100 guys who can't get a date on a Saturday night standing around going "boop boop boop boop boop" in unison...[/quote]
Pretty harsh from a guy who has regularly attended, enthusiastically participated, and generously contributed a memorable MG event. Or have I given undue weight to your humorous comment?[/quote]
I'm not sure you were there for this memorable moment. It was a Saturday night and Gordon Pepper was putting on a performance of TPIR, with all of the games situated on a tabletop in front of him which only he and the contestant, but not the audience, could see. It was located in this little outdoor courtyard. It eventually came time to spin the Big Wheel, and of course we all know the Big Wheel just isn't the Big Wheel without the "boop boop boops". The wheel was spun and the 100 (closer to 50) guys who opted to go to the Congreff that Saturday night rather than go out on a date, spontaneously supplied the "boop boop boop" effect. Somewhere else at the Burbank Hilton was some other event which, by pure coincidence, had Bob Eubanks in attendance. Just as the Big Wheel was being spun, the other event let out. Someone spotted Mr. Eubanks on his way to his car, and he apparently took note of 50 grown men making "boop boop boop" sounds. Being taken somewhat aback at this sight, he high-tailed it into the parking lot.

The Congreff was probably more fun than a date anyway.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 08:46:39 PM by chris319 »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Game Show Congress
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2009, 08:42:32 PM »
In 2007, the Forum's own Chris Clementson...as Randy mentioned...put on Match Game Live, a full-fledged (though independent of the GST) recreation of the 1973-82 show, with Randy hosting and several of our regulars (including my lucky self) as panel members, and featuring GSC-goers as contestants. Chris even put up the prize money for the winner! (Chris, will you repeating that this year?)
We had a lot of fun doing Match Game in 2007 but I don't see it in the cards for 2009. It was not cheap having props built, renting the room and providing refreshments (big mistake) and there was a minor donnybrook with the setup crew not living up to my contractual agreement with the hotel. Add to that the fact that we started long after our scheduled start time due to Bob Stewart reminiscing about Anne Marie Schmitt, and it's an experience I don't look forward to repeating. On the plus side, I got a lot of excellent help with the questions from many people on this board, and that really made the show. I also learned how to stack Match Game questions: one question in the second round must be a "gimme".

Now, if I ever find the two ladies who came in and helped themselves to the hors d'ouvres and started kibbitzing in the back of the room WHILE A LIVE PERFORMANCE WAS GOING ON, I'll wring their %$#@! necks!

The props and the Gene Rayburn mic are still around, though.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 08:43:05 PM by chris319 »

mmb5

Game Show Congress
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2009, 08:43:51 PM »
[quote name=\'Game Show Man\' post=\'223506\' date=\'Aug 20 2009, 06:07 PM\']Following the Luncheon is the conclusion of the GST, and the appearance of Mike Burger's (that's OUR Mike Burger, for those paying attention) Game Show Round software, serving as the finals of the GST, along with several pickup games for those interested parties.[/quote]
Sadly, I cannot attend this year due to work commitments.  I hope those who can attend have a great time.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.