Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Cancelled game shows?  (Read 2046 times)

cmjb13

Cancelled game shows?
« on: November 01, 2003, 12:26:16 PM »
How much notice does/has a game show normally receive(d)?

Weeks? Months?
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Little Big Brother

Cancelled game shows?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2003, 05:33:26 PM »
Back in the old days (at least according to my parents), as soon as a show became unprofitable, it was yanked off the air.  That's why on old episodes of Password Plus and other network game shows, they were constantly urging you to tune in, tell your friends, etc.  I remember on $25,000 Pyramid (I can't remember if it was the beginning of the 80's run or the time it returned from hiatus due to Wipeout's wipeout) where Dick Clark pleaded with the viewers to contact their friends and say that the show was back on the air.

Nowadays, since nearly everything is syndicated, I think it usually goes by mid-season and full-season replacement.  However, the last version of Card Sharks didn't even make it to mid-season, IIRC.  Perhaps someone more confident than me should be speaking about this.

zachhoran

Cancelled game shows?
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2003, 07:21:49 PM »
[quote name=\'Little Big Brother\' date=\'Nov 1 2003, 05:33 PM\'] I remember on $25,000 Pyramid (I can't remember if it was the beginning of the 80's run or the time it returned from hiatus due to Wipeout's wipeout) where Dick Clark pleaded with the viewers to contact their friends and say that the show was back on the air.
 [/quote]
 Dick mentioned the "tell your friends" bit regularly in the April-July 1988 return to CBS, when $25K Pyramid replaced BLACKout, not Wipeout.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Cancelled game shows?
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2003, 07:34:19 PM »
Back in the old days network game shows never became unprofitable.

Ian Wallis

Cancelled game shows?
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2003, 09:29:42 AM »
I remember on $25,000 Pyramid (I can't remember if it was the beginning of the 80's run or the time it returned from hiatus due to Wipeout's wipeout) where Dick Clark pleaded with the viewers to contact their friends and say that the show was back on the air.

I know that he did that at the beginning of the '80s run because he thought people might confuse it with reruns of the earlier version, and he wanted people to know they were back.  He even stated a few times "these are new shows".

It was kind of funny seeing GSN repeats of those!
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!