Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pyramid Clues  (Read 13975 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Pyramid Clues
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2009, 03:55:49 PM »
[quote name=\'BillCullen1\' post=\'222087\' date=\'Aug 5 2009, 12:07 PM\']Actually, the best clue for "Things that are Tanned" is George Hamilton's skin.[/quote]
...unless the receiver doesn't know who George Hamilton is.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Kevin Prather

Pyramid Clues
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2009, 03:56:57 PM »
[quote name=\'BillCullen1\' post=\'222087\' date=\'Aug 5 2009, 12:07 PM\'][quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'222068\' date=\'Aug 5 2009, 02:10 PM\']Not that it's the best clue for it, but would this be at all similar to saying "a Florida man" for the category "Things that are Tanned?"

-Jason[/quote]

Actually, the best clue for "Things that are Tanned" is George Hamilton's skin.
[/quote]
So much better than, oh say..."a sunbather's skin".

/People know what a sunbather is.

BillCullen1

Pyramid Clues
« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2009, 04:39:33 PM »
[quote name=\'Kevin Prather\' post=\'222096\' date=\'Aug 5 2009, 03:56 PM\'][quote name=\'BillCullen1\' post=\'222087\' date=\'Aug 5 2009, 12:07 PM\'][quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'222068\' date=\'Aug 5 2009, 02:10 PM\']Not that it's the best clue for it, but would this be at all similar to saying "a Florida man" for the category "Things that are Tanned?"

-Jason[/quote]

Actually, the best clue for "Things that are Tanned" is George Hamilton's skin.
[/quote]

[/quote]

True, but it's not the clue giver's fault if the receiver is a little ignorant. I still think in theory at least, George Hamilton is a good clue.

On Donnymid, the category was "What Liza Minnelli Might Say" The celeb (Female, forgot who) said "My mother is Judy Garland." The contestant instructed her to pass. I actually yelled at the set "You stupid ______ "

The clue was DEAD ON, the contestant was ignorant, and IMO, Liza Minnelli is pretty famous, even moreso than George Hamilton.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 04:44:22 PM by BillCullen1 »

Kevin Prather

Pyramid Clues
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2009, 04:41:35 PM »
[quote name=\'BillCullen1\' post=\'222100\' date=\'Aug 5 2009, 01:39 PM\']True, but it's not the clue giver's fault if the receiver is a little ignorant.[/quote]
Remind me never to play Pyramid with you.

Pyramid is a TEAM game. A good clue-giver will give clues that work FOR THEIR PARTNER.

clemon79

Pyramid Clues
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2009, 05:14:04 PM »
[quote name=\'BillCullen1\' post=\'222100\' date=\'Aug 5 2009, 01:39 PM\']The clue was DEAD ON, the contestant was ignorant[/quote]
Not the only one, I assure you.

BrandonFG

Pyramid Clues
« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2009, 05:18:57 PM »
[quote name=\'BillCullen1\' post=\'222100\' date=\'Aug 5 2009, 04:39 PM\']True, but it's not the clue giver's fault if the receiver is a little ignorant. I still think in theory at least, George Hamilton is a good clue.[/quote]
People might recognize the name, but honestly, how many people do you expect to automatically equate George Hamilton to overtanned skin? In an intense like that, forgive me if I don't automatically think of George Hamilton, as opposed to Kevin's earlier clue.

On Donnymid, the category was "What Liza Minnelli Might Say" The celeb (Female, forgot who) said "My mother is Judy Garland." The contestant instructed her to pass. I actually yelled at the set "You stupid ______ "

The clue was DEAD ON, the contestant was ignorant, and IMO, Liza Minnelli is pretty famous, even moreso than George Hamilton.
So you've never had a brain fart where the name is right on the tip of your tongue, and just couldn't get the name to click? Forgetting a celebrity's name in a high pressure situation under bright lights and the glare of audience members does not make someone ignorant.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

CarShark

Pyramid Clues
« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2009, 05:25:44 PM »
[quote name=\'Kevin Prather\' post=\'222096\' date=\'Aug 5 2009, 03:56 PM\'][quote name=\'BillCullen1\' post=\'222087\' date=\'Aug 5 2009, 12:07 PM\']Actually, the best clue for "Things that are Tanned" is George Hamilton's skin.[/quote]

[/quote]I would have thought that "sunbathe" and "tan" were synonymous.

I don't know if "ignorant" is the word. I mean, we've seen that happen in the front game plenty of time, too. It's just that the name escapes. How old was the contestant, anyways?

[quote name=\'Kevin Prather\' post=\'222104\' date=\'Aug 5 2009, 04:41 PM\']Pyramid is a TEAM game. A good clue-giver will give clues that work FOR THEIR PARTNER.[/quote]But how could you know that the clue will work until you try it? George Hamilton is a good clue, the same way "Duke Ellington's Ladies" would be a good clue for "Sophisticated Things" still. I just don't think it would be "the perfect clue" anymore. They have expiration dates...kinda.

/The last thing I remember GH doing were those Ritz commercials.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 05:32:36 PM by CarShark »

BillCullen1

Pyramid Clues
« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2009, 06:06:10 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'222110\' date=\'Aug 5 2009, 05:18 PM\'][quote name=\'BillCullen1\' post=\'222100\' date=\'Aug 5 2009, 04:39 PM\']

The clue was DEAD ON, the contestant was ignorant, and IMO, Liza Minnelli is pretty famous, even moreso than George Hamilton.[/quote]
So you've never had a brain fart where the name is right on the tip of your tongue, and just couldn't get the name to click? Forgetting a celebrity's name in a high pressure situation under bright lights and the glare of audience members does not make someone ignorant.
[/quote]

No no. The contestant didn't have a brain fart, the contestant just plain didn't know who Liza and/or Judy were. She didn't even pause to think, she said "pass it." The look on her face was saying "I don't know."

To answer the age question, I'd say this lady contestant was in her 20s.

Jay Temple

Pyramid Clues
« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2009, 06:11:17 PM »
[quote name=\'BillCullen1\' post=\'222100\' date=\'Aug 5 2009, 03:39 PM\']On Donnymid, the category was "What Liza Minnelli Might Say" The celeb (Female, forgot who) said "My mother is Judy Garland." The contestant instructed her to pass. I actually yelled at the set "You stupid ______ "

The clue was DEAD ON, the contestant was ignorant, and IMO, Liza Minnelli is pretty famous, even moreso than George Hamilton.[/quote]
I'm going to defend your choice of the word "ignorant." An ignorant person is, by definition, someone who lacks knowledge, whether it's specific pieces of information or a general lack of knowledge. This contestant was indeed ignorant.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

clemon79

Pyramid Clues
« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2009, 06:12:28 PM »
[quote name=\'CarShark\' post=\'222114\' date=\'Aug 5 2009, 02:25 PM\']But how could you know that the clue will work until you try it? George Hamilton is a good clue[/quote]
It's a good clue, but it's not a MONEY clue. (Which I believe is what you're getting at. I'm not arguing with you, just quoting you as a frame of reference.) If they know who he is, yeah, "tanned" is pretty much his chief identifying characteristic. And if they don't, and you don't have anything else lined up, you're farked.

I would certainly not call someone "a stupid ______" (as the OP of this subthread claims to have) for calling for a pass on the Judy Garland thing if they didn't know who Judy Garland was. I might apply that to the celebrity for putting all of their eggs in that basket, though.

Jay Temple

Pyramid Clues
« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2009, 06:12:45 PM »
[quote name=\'Twentington\' post=\'222071\' date=\'Aug 5 2009, 01:24 PM\'][quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'222062\' date=\'Aug 5 2009, 12:50 PM\']Here's a clue I found funky. It came up on a $25K episode last week or the week before, can't remember the male celebrity who said it. "Things You Fail" was the subject, the clue was "an F-marked test" or "an F-scored test." That was NOT buzzed, and I believe they won the big money. Isn't "F" synonymous with "fail?"[/quote]

Agreed. If saying the first letter gets you a cuckoo in the maingame (unless the category already dictates that all of the words begin with a certain letter), it should also get you a buzz in the WC.
[/quote]
I caught that too. In fact, I think they have buzzed it in the Winner's Circle. ISTR the clue "an R.N." for THINGS THAT ARE REGISTERED.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 06:13:18 PM by Jay Temple »
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

BillCullen1

Pyramid Clues
« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2009, 06:18:12 PM »
[quote name=\'CarShark\' post=\'222114\' date=\'Aug 5 2009, 05:25 PM\'][quote name=\'Kevin Prather\' post=\'222104\' date=\'Aug 5 2009, 04:41 PM\']Pyramid is a TEAM game. A good clue-giver will give clues that work FOR THEIR PARTNER.[/quote]But how could you know that the clue will work until you try it? [/quote]

Thank you. My point exactly.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 06:22:54 PM by BillCullen1 »

CarShark

Pyramid Clues
« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2009, 06:40:32 PM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' post=\'222121\' date=\'Aug 5 2009, 06:12 PM\'][quote name=\'Twentington\' post=\'222071\' date=\'Aug 5 2009, 01:24 PM\'][quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'222062\' date=\'Aug 5 2009, 12:50 PM\']Here's a clue I found funky. It came up on a $25K episode last week or the week before, can't remember the male celebrity who said it. "Things You Fail" was the subject, the clue was "an F-marked test" or "an F-scored test." That was NOT buzzed, and I believe they won the big money. Isn't "F" synonymous with "fail?"[/quote]

Agreed. If saying the first letter gets you a cuckoo in the maingame (unless the category already dictates that all of the words begin with a certain letter), it should also get you a buzz in the WC.
[/quote]
I caught that too. In fact, I think they have buzzed it in the Winner's Circle. ISTR the clue "an R.N." for THINGS THAT ARE REGISTERED.
[/quote]
I don't know if the two situations are analogous, though. R.N. does stand for "registered nurse", but I haven't seen anything that says F is an intial for "fail".

Bill Neuweiler

Pyramid Clues
« Reply #58 on: August 05, 2009, 07:43:19 PM »
[quote name=\'CarShark\' post=\'222124\' date=\'Aug 5 2009, 06:40 PM\'][quote name=\'Jay Temple\' post=\'222121\' date=\'Aug 5 2009, 06:12 PM\'][quote name=\'Twentington\' post=\'222071\' date=\'Aug 5 2009, 01:24 PM\'][quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'222062\' date=\'Aug 5 2009, 12:50 PM\']Here's a clue I found funky. It came up on a $25K episode last week or the week before, can't remember the male celebrity who said it. "Things You Fail" was the subject, the clue was "an F-marked test" or "an F-scored test." That was NOT buzzed, and I believe they won the big money. Isn't "F" synonymous with "fail?"[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]
I don't know if the two situations are analogous, though. R.N. does stand for "registered nurse", but I haven't seen anything that says F is an intial for "fail".
[/quote]
true to all of that.  Does anyone out there recall the time that dick stopped a $10,000 celebration because he feared the judge would retract the win during the commercial?  The celeb gave the clue "Red China" for "Communist Countries".  It could have been considered either descriptive or a synonym.  The end result was neither, the win remained intact.  Or the time the celebrity gave the clue "UCLA" for "Names of Colleges and Universities"?  Again, the win was questioned going into break, and again it stood.  (the explination given was that of the differing rules from the front game to the winner's circle.)  There were questionable buzzes that were remedied on the spot--they came back from commercial and gave the contestant another shot at the box with the estimated remaining time:  Buzzing a "Tropical Bird" for "Exotic Things" and buzzing "Magnets" for "Attractive Things".   (the latter was simply a matter of awarding the $25000 as the contestant provided the right answer as the buzzer sounded) I think it should be noted that the judge always appeared to be tyring to make fair decisions, even reversing them as necessary after more critical thought.   This leads me to believe that the judging of the game was not EXACTLY a science.  However it got me thinking, has anyone here actually been on the program?  And if so, do you remember the rules furnished to you prior to the start of the game?  If there were a source rule book or reference guide, aside from the rules from the 'copy of the Pyramid home game', it would definitely help.
<p>I share a birthday with Jack Barry.

Neumms

Pyramid Clues
« Reply #59 on: August 05, 2009, 09:48:56 PM »
[quote name=\'Bill Neuweiler\' post=\'222128\' date=\'Aug 5 2009, 06:43 PM\']The celeb gave the clue "Red China" for "Communist Countries".  It could have been considered either descriptive or a synonym.  The end result was neither, the win remained intact.  Or the time the celebrity gave the clue "UCLA" for "Names of Colleges and Universities"?  Again, the win was questioned going into break, and again it stood.  (the explination given was that of the differing rules from the front game to the winner's circle.)  . . . This leads me to believe that the judging of the game was not EXACTLY a science.[/quote]

I would have buzzed Red China, but upon further review, "red" is symbolic of communism not synonymous. UCLA still seems fishy to me, although it's not so much of an unfairly helpful clue as a slip-up, so it's reasonable to allow it.

I recall the story that when Bob Stewart proposed Password to Mark Goodson asked pointedly how they'd know if a clue was allowable. Stewart replied he'd get an expert from the dictionary. As it turns out, Password judging is much less subjective than Pyramid's. Pyramid is the game that could use an authority.

And I still say "F" is synonymous with "fail"--otherwise, they'd give you an E!