Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Rod Roddy cancer PSA airs again  (Read 2182 times)

brianhenke

Rod Roddy cancer PSA airs again
« on: October 30, 2003, 06:36:28 PM »
WOBO, the Batavia, OH-based station, just aired the Rod Roddy colon cancer PSA again. This was just a few minutes ago.

I wonder if the Colon Cancer foundation that Rod did the PSA for is sending out some new message saying that "Rod Roddy died, and we are going to continue running this as a tribute" (ala a reading commercial Michael Landon did that aired several months after he died) or scrap the ads altogether.

Brian
Johnny Cash sang "I Have the Wine"?

TimK2003

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2003, 06:48:04 PM »
[quote name=\'brianhenke\' date=\'Oct 30 2003, 06:36 PM\'] WOBO, the Batavia, OH-based station, just aired the Rod Roddy colon cancer PSA again. This was just a few minutes ago.

I wonder if the Colon Cancer foundation that Rod did the PSA for is sending out some new message saying that "Rod Roddy died, and we are going to continue running this as a tribute" (ala a reading commercial Michael Landon did that aired several months after he died) or scrap the ads altogether.

Brian [/quote]
 I can't say that I heard neither Rod's nor Michael's 'near-death' PSAs, but I do applaud both of them for bringing their cases out in the public courageously so as to help others who might find and treat their problems before it's too late.

I know that these type of first-person PSA's have been done before.  Case in point was one of the Bewitched Darrens (Dick York or Dick Sargent) did one on a smoking-related illness, either heart disease and/or lung cancer near the time they had died.  Have there been others inside or outside the game show world that did these as well?

HYHYBT

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2003, 12:57:12 AM »
I remember seeing one for emphysema (though I forget who was in it) with the guy saying he was dead.
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages

inturnaround

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2003, 01:08:36 AM »
I would think that the ads will continue to air. Rod's death doesn't change the message he is trying to make in the spots, it only makes it that much more poignant and underlines the need for the message to get out there.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

rugrats1

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2003, 07:49:41 PM »
I remember seeing one for emphysema (though I forget who was in it) with the guy saying he was dead.

You may be referring to the one with Orson Welles (I think) -- we have another thread dealing with the subject:

http://gameshow.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=1783

That thread started, of course, shortly before Rod's death.