Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Drop the Bomb  (Read 9680 times)

pacdude

Drop the Bomb
« on: June 19, 2009, 06:34:04 PM »
If this isn't allowed, then by all means, mods, make it go away.

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/500156

This is my newest game, Drop the Bomb. It's a refresh of the series, and the game play is reminiscent of the front game of Bullseye and the end game of the Joker's wild. It's my biggest game to date and I would be remiss if I didn't share it with my friends here at the Game Show Forum.

Tell me what you think, and thanks a lot for playing and for all your support.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Drop the Bomb
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 07:03:22 PM »
I liked it! I thought the bomb in the front game was a little harsh (the game is OVER if you miss one? Completely? Really?), but it's pretty and the material appears to at least be proofread. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

pacdude

Drop the Bomb
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 07:08:06 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'218471\' date=\'Jun 19 2009, 07:03 PM\']I liked it! I thought the bomb in the front game was a little harsh (the game is OVER if you miss one? Completely? Really?), but it's pretty and the material appears to at least be proofread. :)[/quote]

The game's over if you miss one when a BOMB pops up. Elsewise, it's a 3-strikes kinda gig. And yeah, a large databank of proofread questions seems to be above-average compared to my programming kin. :D

Jeremy Nelson

Drop the Bomb
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 07:10:21 PM »
Great game! My only problem is that I'm constantly getting questions with "undefined" as the question and 4 answer choices, and that always leads to a strike.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

BrandonFG

Drop the Bomb
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 07:28:45 PM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' post=\'218474\' date=\'Jun 19 2009, 07:10 PM\']Great game! My only problem is that I'm constantly getting questions with "undefined" as the question and 4 answer choices, and that always leads to a strike.[/quote]
Same here, except I only get three choices, all "undefined".
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

pacdude

Drop the Bomb
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 07:33:03 PM »
This is a problem with the ActionScript I'm using to save the questions you've already answered. I've inserted code that should remedy this situation, so go ahead and play again. If it doesn't work, go to please visit the Flash Settings page at http://www.macromedia.com/support/document..._manager07.html and click "Delete All Sites." That'll clear up any problems.

J.R.

Drop the Bomb
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 07:44:46 PM »
Fun game. I gave ya a 5. :)

/Oooh, medals!
//I lol'd hard at the last one.
-Joe Raygor

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Drop the Bomb
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 07:50:11 PM »
[quote name=\'pacdude\' post=\'218473\' date=\'Jun 19 2009, 04:08 PM\']The game's over if you miss one when a BOMB pops up.[/quote]
Yes, I understand that, and I think it's overly harsh. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

J.R.

Drop the Bomb
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 07:56:21 PM »
Random thought: Newgrounds comments may possibly be worse than YouTube comments. And that's saying something.
-Joe Raygor

BrandonFG

Drop the Bomb
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 07:57:56 PM »
[quote name=\'pacdude\' post=\'218476\' date=\'Jun 19 2009, 07:33 PM\']This is a problem with the ActionScript I'm using to save the questions you've already answered. I've inserted code that should remedy this situation, so go ahead and play again. If it doesn't work, go to please visit the Flash Settings page at http://www.macromedia.com/support/document..._manager07.html and click "Delete All Sites." That'll clear up any problems.[/quote]
"Delete All Sites" did the trick. Thanks! :-)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

pacdude

Drop the Bomb
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2009, 08:00:11 PM »
[quote name=\'J.R.\' post=\'218479\' date=\'Jun 19 2009, 07:56 PM\']Random thought: Newgrounds comments may possibly be worse than YouTube comments. And that's saying something.[/quote]

Yeah, but getting the last word as a response is sweeeeeet.

BrandonFG

Drop the Bomb
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2009, 08:00:43 PM »
[quote name=\'J.R.\' post=\'218479\' date=\'Jun 19 2009, 07:56 PM\']Random thought: Newgrounds comments may possibly be worse than YouTube comments. And that's saying something.[/quote]
That's not possible.

*checks*

Oh my Gawd, it is. The only difference is that the dipshits on that board use better grammar, and not text message speak. The elitist douchebag with the rating scale prolly couldn't program a VCR.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 08:05:00 PM by fostergray82 »

weaklink75

Drop the Bomb
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2009, 09:43:14 PM »
Oh yeah, that last medal is a funny one...good game too!

comicus

Drop the Bomb
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2009, 10:21:27 PM »
Spiffy!  Great work, Cory.

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
Drop the Bomb
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2009, 03:16:41 AM »
Commentary from a gameplay perspective:

Cory, you've put cool stuff out now that I think you can stand some constructive criticism here: sometimes the randomness in a game can be a bad thing.  The original incarnation of Drop the Bomb was a total press your luck game, and so who cares who random it was.  But here, to use Joker's Wild references, your balance between Knowledge and Lady Luck is off.

Point 1: Questions range anywhere from $100 to $1000.  When it takes $5,000 to win, the idea that I'm answering questions at a 50 questions to win rate is a little unfair (and I spun $100 enough to make that a concern).  I know you can't really change the upper value now since you've got a medal that relies on it (first medal I won), but you should consider raising the lower value slightly.

Point 2: Chris's concern about the bomb is absolutely reasonable.  I have also spun bombs twice in a row -- once in a 4 question contract, and then in a 5.  The idea of, "well, you survived 9 bomb questions and now have a score of $0" kinda sucks.  You're already penalizing them by making them answer a "game over" question.  Doing 5 of them for no money is over the top.  A more fair way to handle this would have be that normal contracts run from 2-5 questions, and then any 1 question contract is a bomb (and since bombs would appear in the center window, the bomb question could still be worth money).  So while bombs would appear more often, the individual bombs would be less dangerous.

Point 3: Please don't allow the same thing to appear in a window twice in a row.  In addition to preventing a too-easy or too-hard game, it improves the curve on how long a given won game takes.  A playtime that is too erratic (in either direction) can psychologically turn people off.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 03:19:28 AM by parliboy »
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."