Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bob Barker Honored  (Read 1969 times)

inturnaround

Bob Barker Honored
« on: October 29, 2003, 02:34:10 PM »
From zap2it.com

Bob Barker has been elected to the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences Hall of Fame along with other TV legends Art Carney, Dan Rather and the late Brandon Tartikoff.

Katie Couric was also elected.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

GS Warehouse

Bob Barker Honored
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2003, 03:02:37 PM »
[quote name=\'inturnaround\' date=\'Oct 29 2003, 02:34 PM\'] From zap2it.com

Bob Barker has been elected to the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences Hall of Fame along with other TV legends Art Carney, Dan Rather and the late Brandon Tartikoff.

Katie Couric was also elected. [/quote]
 I didn't think Art Carney was still with us.  I think he's the last surviving Honeymooner, isn't he?

inturnaround

Bob Barker Honored
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2003, 03:15:19 PM »
Yes, he'll be turning 95 years old next week.

Although not the only Honeymooner still alive, he's the only one left from the TV series. (Various people have played Trixie and Alice...like Shiela MacRae who is still with us)
Joe Coughlin     
Human

zachhoran

Bob Barker Honored
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2003, 06:51:52 PM »
[quote name=\'inturnaround\' date=\'Oct 29 2003, 03:15 PM\'] Yes, he'll be turning 95 years old next week.

Although not the only Honeymooner still alive, he's the only one left from the TV series. (Various people have played Trixie and Alice...like Shiela MacRae who is still with us) [/quote]
 He'll be 85 on 11/4, as per imdb.com, not 95.

inturnaround

Bob Barker Honored
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2003, 07:39:40 PM »
You're absolutely right. Man, I can't believe I spaced out on the math. :)

At any rate, Art deserves it. Not sure Katie has paid her dues enough yet to warrant a Hall of Fame induction, though.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

zachhoran

Bob Barker Honored
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2003, 07:44:50 PM »
[quote name=\'inturnaround\' date=\'Oct 29 2003, 07:39 PM\'] You're absolutely right. Man, I can't believe I spaced out on the math. :)

At any rate, Art deserves it. Not sure Katie has paid her dues enough yet to warrant a Hall of Fame induction, though. [/quote]
 Probably not for Katie, but Oprah was inducted 10 years ago and she too maybe hadn't paid the dues yet then(and arguably not now). Bill Cullen truly deserves to be there as much as Bob does.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Bob Barker Honored
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2003, 09:42:14 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Oct 29 2003, 05:44 PM\'] Probably not for Katie, but Oprah was inducted 10 years ago and she too maybe hadn't paid the dues yet then(and arguably not now).

[/quote]
 That's an argument I would like to see. Show me another woman SO influential that she can make a book an instant bestseller by going on TV and saying "Read this."

As for "paying dues", get over yourselves, folks. This ain't a popular vote, it's the opinion of a select panel, and if those folks think these people are worthy of being included in this group, then they are.

Bill Cullen truly deserves to be there as much as Bob does.

How many Cullen shows were the #1 daytime game show for most of their run, and stayed on the air for thirty-two consecutive years?

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I don't think it's as obvious an oversight as you're making it sound like.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

inturnaround

Bob Barker Honored
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2003, 10:01:13 PM »
C'mon, don't you think that of all the name on that list, Katie Couric's name doesn't stick out like a sore thumb?

I like Katie a lot. She does a good job on Today. But has her career really reached "Hall of Fame" heights?  Heck, Dave Garroway isn't even in the Hall and he created the format!

I don't think I have to "get over myself" because I disagree with something that seems very off-kilter to me.
Joe Coughlin     
Human