Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: My game show "trek"  (Read 5569 times)

vtown7

My game show "trek"
« on: May 19, 2009, 11:10:28 PM »
Hi everyone,

After snagging one of the Rail Europe passes that went on sale for super cheap ($539 knocked down to $153) this past Tuesday, I'm trying to put together a list of shows I'd like to see while I'm doing some world travelling next year, when I'm on leave from my job... here's what I've come up with:

Eastern US - Millionaire, Deal
Western US - Wheel, J, Feud, Price
Montreal - Moment de Verite, Le Cercle, Paquet Voleur
UK - Millionaire, Link, Deal, Countdown (among others)
Belgium - Genies en Herbe
Germany - Wer Wild Millionar
France - Questions pour un Champion, Des Chiffres et Des Lettres, Qui veut gagner des millions?, whatever TF1's flavour of the month is
Spain - ??
Australia - Deal, Hot Seat, and I'll go see Aussie Glads if it's still going...
NZ - ??

As you can see visits to Montreal, NYC, LA, Australia and NZ are in the planning stages as well (and I intend to be in the last two for about 4-6 months).

Are there any major shows I'm missing at this point?  I realize that some shows are cyclical, that's to be expected of course.  

I would love to hear if anyone has any suggestions to the list - and if there's something in a neighbouring country, I'd love to check it out as well.

Cheers, and thanks,

Ryan.

Jimmy Owen

My game show "trek"
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 11:28:06 AM »
East Lansing-Quizbusters.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

BrandonFG

My game show "trek"
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 11:36:42 AM »
[quote name=\'vtown7\' post=\'216131\' date=\'May 19 2009, 11:10 PM\']Are there any major shows I'm missing at this point?  I realize that some shows are cyclical, that's to be expected of course.[/quote]
I'm guessing that daytime Smarter than a 5th Grader should be starting up very soon (L.A.)...and maybe one of the GSN game shows?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Matt Ottinger

My game show "trek"
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 12:13:38 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'216172\' date=\'May 20 2009, 11:28 AM\']East Lansing-Quizbusters.[/quote]
Just for the record, Ryan, you would be welcome!
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

vtown7

My game show "trek"
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 01:25:11 PM »
Thanks Matt, for the invite!  Out of curiosity, when is your taping season?

I anticipate not getting to LA until January so it, like everywhere else, is up in the air.

Ryan.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 01:25:39 PM by vtown7 »

tvmitch

My game show "trek"
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 02:32:01 PM »
Just a suggestion that if you can snag tickets to any of the late-night shows taping in NYC or LA at that time you're there (Letterman especially), those are always fun. Plus the obligatory NBC Studio Tour at 30 Rock if you haven't done that before.

A number of years ago, I saw a taping of Jet Set at the BBC...and won a UK Lotto t-shirt after belting a quick rendition of our national anthem during audience warm-up. While it wasn't as exciting as seeing Winning Lines (whoa big set), witnessing the Lotto draw and the show itself was neat. If there is a National Lottery show taping whilst you are there, that's definitely something to see.

You're also welcome to swing by Lancaster, PA, to see a taping of Brain Busters at WGAL, if the show gets renewed for season #9. Our little quiz bowl show doesn't hold a candle to East Lansing, though!

So in a year's time frame, if the planets align, you might see 5 or more different countries' versions of Millionaire. Too cool.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 02:33:36 PM by mitchgroff »
You should follow me on Twitter

Matt Ottinger

My game show "trek"
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 03:05:26 PM »
[quote name=\'vtown7\' post=\'216183\' date=\'May 20 2009, 01:25 PM\']Thanks Matt, for the invite!  Out of curiosity, when is your taping season?[/quote]
In general, our tapings take place from October through February, with a month-long break over the holiday season.  Every Tuesday night and about half the Monday nights.  Usually three shows a night (fewer near the end of the season) from about 6pm until about 9pm.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

aaron sica

My game show "trek"
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 03:31:01 PM »
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' post=\'216186\' date=\'May 20 2009, 02:32 PM\']You're also welcome to swing by Lancaster, PA, to see a taping of Brain Busters at WGAL, if the show gets renewed for season #9. Our little quiz bowl show doesn't hold a candle to East Lansing, though![/quote]

Does that offer extend to other game show fans who probably don't live even an hour away from you? :)

/Would love to set foot inside WGAL

Marc412

My game show "trek"
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 06:21:44 PM »
Netherlands - Één tegen 100 or Miljoenenjacht

vtown7

My game show "trek"
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 09:48:02 AM »
Thanks folks for all of your suggestions!  I really would like to see Letterman, having watched him for years.  Basically I'm waiting for Millionaire US to publish its schedule and then I'll move forward for NYC.

I do like the idea of seeing 5 different Millionaires!  I got one of my students to translate the German Millionaire ticket page, it does make mention of a 20-22 month wait for tickets (!) although he thinks the popularity has gone down and isn't necessarily the case anymore.

Ryan.

CeleTheRef

My game show "trek"
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2009, 01:31:19 PM »
You'd be a bit out of luck in Italy:  tapings for the Millionaire end on May 27th but I'm afraid it's all booked out already.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
My game show "trek"
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2009, 05:13:48 PM »
[quote name=\'vtown7\' post=\'216131\' date=\'May 19 2009, 11:10 PM\']UK - Millionaire, Link, Deal, Countdown (among others)[/quote]
I thought Link still didn't have a studio audience.  Or it did for a bit but didn't for the regular game.
This signature is currently under construction.

vtown7

My game show "trek"
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2009, 06:28:21 AM »
I thought there are some of you who might be interested in how things are going... so here we are....

So far I've gotten to three shows.  I saw Le Banquier, the French Canadian Deal back earlier in the summer.  When I was in New York last week, I managed to get a standby ticket for Millionaire, which was a phenomenal experience, to say the least.  And two days ago I was in Montreal for Le Moment de Verite.  Again a great experience.  Side note: I also got to see last Friday's Late Show with David Letterman and if you ever get the chance, go; Dave, Paul, Alan and the rest of the cast and crew are super at what they do.

There are at least three more on the way - Questions Pour Un Champion, Des Chiffres et Des Lettres, and Countdown, as a contestant :)  There is a distinct possibility something else will come through, while I'm in Europe, I'm hoping.

I've also been blogging about my travels... vickworldtour.blogspot.com if you'd care to read.

Cheers,
Ryan.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
My game show "trek"
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2009, 11:34:03 AM »
[quote name=\'vtown7\' post=\'226333\' date=\'Sep 18 2009, 03:28 AM\']And two days ago I was in Montreal for Le Moment de Verite.  Again a great experience.[/quote]
Assuming the French-Canadian version is anything like ours, I can't imagine a scenario where watching that show with no ability to change the channel at any point could be considered a "great experience." :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

vtown7

My game show "trek"
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2009, 11:56:13 AM »
I should clarify - Radio-Canada's Le Moment de Verite is based directly off Happy Family Plan from Japan, which in the US was The Big Moment.  So it was a much better experience than if I'd seen the Fox route... which actually is airing in a dubbed format on VTele in Montreal.

And something else to add... got a hold of Channel 4 this morning and I have confirmed seats for UK Deal in late October.

Ryan :)