Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Who do you think could replace Barker?  (Read 11089 times)

cmjb13

Who do you think could replace Barker?
« on: October 24, 2003, 10:07:33 PM »
He has to have the qualities of Barker (funny, warm, etc..) but can't be exactly like Barker (otherwise he will be compared to him consistently)

I thought Ray Combs would be perfect, except he would try to turn it into his show (especially with the comedy)
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2003, 10:16:20 PM »
I agree with Ray. He's one of the GS hosts I really, really miss.

Hmmm...I still see Newton doing it.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2003, 11:00:35 PM »
The easy answer is either Todd Newton or Jeff Trachta, since they are actually gaining valuable experience doing the show now.  I think Marc Summers' time has passed. Does hosting the show in one's living room count as experience?  If so, I'm your man!
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

KyleCHaight

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2003, 11:41:43 PM »
/\ Sorry, I may have you beat on that one. My turntable motor was recently replaced as a matter of fact. :)

Anyways, I'd like to see Tom Bergeron on "The Price Is Right." In a perfect world, Rod Roddy would take over as emcee.

Casey Buck

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2003, 11:58:23 PM »
Grrrr...not this topic again! :)

whampyl03

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2003, 12:06:16 AM »
The easy answer is either Todd Newton or Jeff Trachta, since they are actually gaining valuable experience doing the show now. I think Marc Summers' time has passed. Does hosting the show in one's living room count as experience? If so, I'm your man!

Maybe it's just me, but I really think that Todd Newton would be not a very good fit for Price.  He's just not sedate enough.  As for Marc, well, even though I think Marc is the one of the best things since sliced bread, I don't think he'd fit all too well either.  Maybe this is the purist in me talking (and it probably is), but I think the Winker would fit the job well.  Him or Bergeron, I guess.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2003, 01:30:19 AM by whampyl03 »

bossjock967

• Smiling politely.
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2003, 01:02:47 AM »
Grrrr...not this topic again! :)
Is it just me... or does this topic come up about once every 3 months??  It's like a bad reoccuring dream.

And... just for the record... my vote is for Tom Bergeron... I think he's perfect for the gig.
Corey Dukes
The "Biggest Jerk" of the Game Show Forum

Timsterino

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2003, 01:27:56 AM »
Seeing Todd Newton host the show in Reno, I have to say he is more than competent to host TPiR. He changes his style a bit for Price from Whammy as he should. I thought he was a great host.

Other candidates do come to mind including Tom Bergeron. But I will leave them for a future discussion.

Tim :-)

LA the DJ

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2003, 03:36:14 AM »
I'll say bergeron or Summers. Freemantle seems sold on Newton, and I'm sure he'd do alright, but I think the other two would do better.

I remember this topic coming up on ATGS every three months...

Back then I think I was saying Summers or Tomarken :-X
Help control the moron population, if you know a moron, kick him in a strategic location.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2003, 05:55:14 AM »
I thought Ray Combs would be perfect
I've always thought Dennis James would do a great job.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2003, 06:04:55 AM »
When he's onstage, is Todd Newton being himself or is he affecting the persona of a stereotypical game show emcee? IOW is the guy running the show the same guy you'd meet backstage?

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2003, 06:50:45 AM »
[quote name=\'Timsterino\' date=\'Oct 25 2003, 12:27 AM\']But I will leave them for a future discussion. [/quote]
Ah, so all this is YOUR fault!
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

cmjb13

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2003, 10:49:57 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Oct 24 2003, 11:00 PM\'] The easy answer is either Todd Newton or Jeff Trachta, since they are actually gaining valuable experience doing the show now. [/quote]
If you consider gaining experience using the same small rotation of games, yes. That wouldn't necessarily translate into the real thing. Have someone do a real taping at CBS, and then you'll see if they have got it.

I asked this question, because there was a suggestion Barker may finally retire in 2006 marking his 50 years on television (Recall 2006 would be 50, 2001 was 45, and 1991 was 35).

That would give enough time to find and groom an emcee.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2003, 10:51:25 AM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

cmjb13

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2003, 10:52:36 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Oct 25 2003, 05:55 AM\']
I thought Ray Combs would be perfect
I've always thought Dennis James would do a great job. [/quote]
 No, he'd be too ethnic :)

DrBear

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2003, 10:57:05 AM »
Actually, I'm starting to believe Bob's going to hang on until laser technology allows for a 3-D Holographic Bob to take over the show forever and ever.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.