Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Some TPIR news  (Read 5249 times)

cmjb13

Some TPIR news
« on: October 20, 2003, 11:10:06 PM »
There are plans to tape a daytime birthday show on or around Bob's Birthday.

The CBS Primetime special for Bob's Birthday will, unfortunately, not have any
nostalgia clips.

TPIR's 6000th show will tape 2/17/04 for a tentatvie 3/9 airdate.

Reviews for the Vegas show have been suprisingly good. However, word is Newton is not
very good and the other unknown emcee is much better. I think this quote on Todd sums it
up best: "I think people like Todd because there is nobody else to like."

Also in regards to the Vegas show, Bob thinks it's a good outlet to test future hosts to
see who people like and people don't like.

Apparently Bob didn't think Syd took his mic on TPIR Season 32 premiere. He said he gave
it to him. Hopefully no more Syd.

Penny Ante is in a state of limbo. Apparently it would cost them 40,000 to fix it because
it kept breaking down. It would be cheaper to rebuild it, but interest has kind of slowed
down. So it might be back one day.

Super Saver was retired because of technical issues and there was an issue with
Game practices where Bob apparently didn't explain the game correctly and decided it wasn't
worth the hassle to play it any more.

Rod is in worse shape than I had thought. With respect to his privacy, I'll be praying for
him. I suggest those who enjoy his work, do the same.

The voucher from Time is Money has been eliminated.

Burton is announcing this week to for shows to air the week before Xmas. The set is
decorated very nicely. No Randy.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Timsterino

Some TPIR news
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2003, 11:21:24 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Oct 20 2003, 11:10 PM\'] Reviews for the Vegas show have been suprisingly good. However, word is Newton is not
very good and the other unknown emcee is much better. I think this quote on Todd sums it
up best: "I think people like Todd because there is nobody else to like."
 [/quote]
Woah there! I do not know where you read a review but I just spent four days in Reno (the show is in Reno not Vegas) and the show has been sold out for 10 shows straight (since Todd has hosted).

Todd is doing a fantastic job! He is gracious, funny and full of enthusiasm. Whoever said he is not doing well is crazy. I guess that is their opinion but I strongly disagree. I do not know about the other emcee because I have not seen him in action. I can only tell you what I have seen through my TPiR fan eyes. I liked what I saw with Todd as host.

I will post more of my experience  and pictures in the next couple of days. Needless to say the show is a must see if you happen by Reno and Todd Newton is doing a great job. I also think that quote is unfair. People like Todd because he is a good emcee, period. It all boils down to personal preference, doesn't it?

Tim :-)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2003, 11:23:25 PM by Timsterino »

cmjb13

Some TPIR news
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2003, 11:29:30 PM »
[quote name=\'Timsterino\' date=\'Oct 20 2003, 11:21 PM\']It all boils down to personal preference, doesn't it?[/quote]
I haven't seen the show, but that was one person's opinion.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

tvrandywest

Some TPIR news
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2003, 01:24:44 AM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Oct 20 2003, 10:29 PM\'] I haven't seen the show, but that was one person's opinion. [/quote]
I've already counted to 10, and I'm still put off by the kind of unsubstantiated and/or irresponsible comments that are occasionally posted. The quality of the discourse on this board has been exceptional; the recent thread about the old alt.tv reminds me how out of control things can get.

While I believe your source for information at TPIR is impecable, an inadvertant reworking of a quote can be very misleading. I urge sensitivity to the reality that every comment has the potential to impact people's feelings and careers; for some, game shows are not sport, but their livelihood. I support everybody's perogative to state their opinions, it's what makes this board great. But I would hope that posters would exercise thoughtfulness and responsibility.

I have also not seen Todd at work in Reno, but the opinions of the Freemantle staffers working on the show that I've had contact with is that Todd is nothing less than magnificent in the role, and that the show has been selling out. I hear that Todd's total familiarity with each of the games has given him the luxury of being able to focus on the warm and fuzzy aspects of being an engaging, likeable, humorous host. And even through the occasion tech problems I've heard from staffers that Todd has charmed the audience. I don't know how this apparent reality could be distorted to such an extent.

Todd and I talk regularly; we have for years. He's always been honest with me about his successes and perceived failures. I can only believe that his positive analysis of his performance in Reno is accurate. I do know that show is apparently a greater success than some had predicted, and at this rate it will tour the country at Harrah's properties. Todd couldn't have stunk up the room too badly for the show to be so successful.   ;-)

I'm glad that the update on Rod's health was tempered with restraint and respect. Thank you for the sensitivity.

Bob's birthday show will tape not around his birthday in December. It tapes a week from this Thursday, on November 6th, and will be broadcast as one of three primetime million dollar sppectaculars taping next week. Yes, there have been a couple of changes to "Time is Money". And yes, when Burton is at the studio, I'm not. The inverse is true as well. If we're ever there on the same day it would be only as the result of some confusion, and TPIR is too well managed by professionals for that to be likely. For anyone who cares, I'm scheduled to announce all of the shows taping in November. If you visit, please say "hi"!

Posters, please, be careful!
Thanks.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: October 21, 2003, 01:27:22 AM by tvrandywest »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Some TPIR news
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2003, 03:35:46 AM »
word is Newton is not very good and the other unknown emcee is much better. I think this quote on Todd sums it up best: "I think people like Todd because there is nobody else to like."
A statement like this has to be better quailfied. Is this one person's opinion? The consensus opinion? Fremantle's official position? Is it someone on the inside, outside, a corporate official or a casual observer? The opinion of Bob Barker or Syd Vinnedge means something entirely different from the opinion of the head stage carpenter. You don't have to reveal your source by name but we need better qualification than "word is".
« Last Edit: October 21, 2003, 03:40:56 AM by chris319 »

whewfan

Some TPIR news
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2003, 07:23:50 AM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Oct 20 2003, 10:10 PM\'] .

Rod is in worse shape than I had thought. With respect to his privacy, I'll be praying for
him. I suggest those who enjoy his work, do the same.

The voucher from Time is Money has been eliminated.

[/quote]
 Let's hope Rod will somehow come thru again. He has before, and he's probably one of the luckiest out there.

As for Time is Money, with no voucher, does that mean that Bob no longer offers $500 instead of making changes? He just says "Here's another 15 seconds, make changes"?
Has there been a win yet for that game?

Don Howard

Some TPIR news
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2003, 08:33:30 AM »
I've already counted to 10,
Posters, please, be careful! Thanks.

Randy, your gift of tact should be bottled and sold. You're awesome.
Godspeed to Rod.

WilliamPorygon

Some TPIR news
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2003, 09:08:14 AM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Oct 20 2003, 10:10 PM\'] The voucher from Time is Money has been eliminated. [/quote]
 Now if they would just eliminate the rest of the game...

cmjb13

Some TPIR news
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2003, 11:18:49 AM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Oct 21 2003, 01:24 AM\']an inadvertant reworking of a quote can be very misleading

I have also not seen Todd at work in Reno, but the opinions of the Freemantle staffers working on the show that I've had contact with is that Todd is nothing less than magnificent in the role, and that the show has been selling out.

Bob's birthday show will tape not around his birthday in December.

Randy
tvrandywest.com[/quote]

The quote was from somebody on the inside. word for word, so I don't know how
that could be misleading. Although my "word is" could be.

It's only one person's opinion. If  everybody's career was based on one opinion, careers wouldn't last very long.

I think it's safe to say that the Reno shows are selling out because of the Price
name, not Newton hosting. Although he might be given credit for selling out the
place (no disrespect to Todd)

Bob's daytime birthday show is tentative to tape in December.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2003, 11:43:41 AM by cmjb13 »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Some TPIR news
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2003, 11:46:08 AM »
If everybody's career was based on one opinion, careers wouldn't last very long.
Clearly you have no experience in show business.

cmjb13

Some TPIR news
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2003, 11:51:44 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Oct 21 2003, 11:46 AM\']
If everybody's career was based on one opinion, careers wouldn't last very long.
Clearly you have no experience in show business. [/quote]
 You are correct. I have absolutely none.

JayC

Some TPIR news
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2003, 11:55:49 AM »
I knew Super Saver's retirement was due to something other then mechanical problems, but thats a dumb reason.  

Time is Money should be played for a car and you know how many you have correct after turn 1.  Glad the voucher is gone though.

I hope Penny Ante can come back, it deserves another chance.  They could just make a new set though, or repair it the old fashion way, with a little elbow grease.

Get well Rod!  

Looking foward to hearing you Randy!  (Since Freemantle wont let us see you)

GS Warehouse

Some TPIR news
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2003, 02:28:01 PM »
[quote name=\'JayC\' date=\'Oct 21 2003, 10:55 AM\'] Looking foward to hearing you Randy!  (Since Freemantle wont let us see you) [/quote]
 Randy once said himself that he's better heard than seen anyway.

And as for Randy's rant about our behavior here, apparently not all us remember to think before we post.  I know I don't always.  As the late Ricky Nelson said, you can't please everyone so you've got to please yourself.

tvrandywest

Some TPIR news
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2003, 02:59:35 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Oct 21 2003, 01:28 PM\'] And as for Randy's rant about our behavior here, apparently not all us remember to think before we post.  I know I don't always.  As the late Ricky Nelson said, you can't please everyone so you've got to please yourself. [/quote]
 I was just pleasing myself. It felt good.   ;-)

And thanks for your comment Don Howard. Visit TPIR in November and I'll point out a couple of lovely Hooker chests!   '-)

Skynet74

Some TPIR news
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2003, 05:33:22 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Oct 21 2003, 02:59 PM\']
And thanks for your comment Don Howard. Visit TPIR in November and I'll point out a couple of lovely Hooker chests!   '-) [/quote]

I once had a friend who pointed out a couple of Lovely Hooker chests. They ran to my car and asked for $50 Bucks.  Just thought I would warn you........... to carry plenty of cash!

John   ;-)