Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPIR 1986 Primetime Specials  (Read 2338 times)

TheInquisitiveOne

TPIR 1986 Primetime Specials
« on: October 18, 2003, 10:18:21 PM »
Hello to all!

I have just received 3 of the 6 Primetime Specials of The Price is Right from 1986, and I have a few questions about some of the stuff that I observed.

(1) (Listeners of Chicago jazz station WNUA 95.5 can help me with this one) During special #2, one of the Showcase cues was an actual Jazz song that I hear many times on the aforementioned radio station. Can someone identify this song for me? (If I am not mistaken, the group is called Spyro Gyra.)

(2) On primetime special #6, when Rod Roddy introduced the Grand Game, there was a chyron that read "Ten Thousand Dollars." How long have they been doing that method? I find it very cool.

(3) On all of the specials, there were no commercial breaks between the third/sixth pricing game and the Showcase Showdown. How were they able to place the Big Wheel in this situation?

Thanks for the responses!

The Inquisitive One
« Last Edit: October 18, 2003, 10:19:22 PM by TheInquisitiveOne »
This is the Way.

zachhoran

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2003, 10:25:57 PM »
[quote name=\'TheInquisitiveOne\' date=\'Oct 18 2003, 09:18 PM\'] Hello to all!

I have just received 3 of the 6 Primetime Specials of The Price is Right from 1986, and I have a few questions about some of the stuff that I observed.

(1) (Listeners of Chicago jazz station WNUA 95.5 can help me with this one) During special #2, one of the Showcase cues was an actual Jazz song that I hear many times on the aforementioned radio station. Can someone identify this song for me? (If I am not mistaken, the group is called Spyro Gyra.)

(2) On primetime special #6, when Rod Roddy introduced the Grand Game, there was a chyron that read "Ten Thousand Dollars." How long have they been doing that method? I find it very cool.

(3) On all of the specials, there were no commercial breaks between the third/sixth pricing game and the Showcase Showdown. How were they able to place the Big Wheel in this situation?

Thanks for the responses!

The Inquisitive One [/quote]
 2. They did that "Ten Thousand Dollars" graphic in the 80s/early 90s, but it hasn't been done in several years.

3. They either set up the wheel during the third and sixth games(which was possible if that game was played on the turntable or at one of the doors I guess), or they did an edit signifying they stopped tape. When the game before the SCSD was played on the turntable, you could see the turntable turning back around while the music played as a segue from the game to the Big Wheel.

rugrats1

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2003, 12:45:35 AM »
Also, in #3, the prime-time commercial structure on CBS was different back then -- the reason why the Showdown followed the 3rd and 6th PGs immediately is because, after the first Showdown (I think), there was a commercial break; then, the show's logo appeared, with Rod saying "The Price Is Right Special will continue",  followed by a station break.

That's probably not the entire reason, but that's part of it.

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2003, 12:53:56 AM »
The edit was a lot more obvious in some episodes (probably the ones you didn't get), where the 3rd or 6th pricing game was located exactly where the wheel goes. Bob and contestant would walk offstage to the right, then an edit later, they'd be showing coming in to the exact same spot from the left.
@lambertman

ChuckNet

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2003, 01:14:06 AM »
There was also no commercial break before the Showcase price reveal, so the cards signifying the theme/main prizes of the players' chosen Showcases were placed into the podiums during the 2nd Showcase presentation (as was also the case on the daytime show from 1975-78, following the hr expansion, and the 72-80 nighttime syndie version).

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

GSWitch

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2003, 09:16:11 AM »
It was also the ONLY time that Punch-A-Bunch & Grand Game were played on the same episode.

BOTH had $10,000 winners!  Both got sirened (whoop-Whoop-WHOOP!) that made me do my Curly cry...

Woo woo woo woo woo!  Moe, Larry, The Cheese!  Moe, Larry, The Cheese!