Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: NASCAR stars to play Pyramid  (Read 4029 times)

brianhenke

NASCAR stars to play Pyramid
« on: October 18, 2003, 05:34:39 PM »
Stars of NASCAR's soon to be Nextel Cup will appear on Pyramid Nov. 10-14.

The list includes 2002 champion Tony Stewart, driver of the #20 Home Depot Chevrolet; 2003 champ to be Matt Kenseth, driver of the #17 DeWalt Tools Ford; Jamie McMurray, who drives the #42 Havoline Dodge; Jeremy Mayfield, the #19 Dodge Dealers Dodge; and Christian Fittapaldi, who has been alternating between the Petty Enterprises #43 and #44 Dodge. (Wheel didn't have any drivers on stage when they had NASCAR Weeks in 2002 and this year.)

This was on jayski.thatsracin.com, the leading independent NASCAR site.

Brian

100 plus 100 equals 600?

We want some more pro wrestling (STILL) and NASCAR questions!
Johnny Cash sang "I Have the Wine"?

Jay Temple

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2003, 01:23:15 PM »
I don't which bothers me more, that they're doing it at all or that they think it's sweeps-worthy.  I hoped that they would go from Olympic athletes to professional athletes* first.

*Feel free to debate the definition of an athlete.  Specifically, I was referring to baseball, football, etc.  I would certainly include tennis players, golf players and bicyclists, but not race car drivers.  I would put them in a different category, which I call sportsmen (intended as gender-inclusive).  I'm not sure where I would put hunters or archers.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

LA the DJ

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2003, 04:50:30 PM »
Well, I imagine Don Smith will be all over that...

I just pray they're not as stupid as some of the country singers they had on there...
Some of those guys didn't seem like they'd heard anything from the last two decades.
Help control the moron population, if you know a moron, kick him in a strategic location.

zachhoran

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2003, 06:42:41 PM »
[quote name=\'nWo_Whammy\' date=\'Oct 20 2003, 03:50 PM\']
I just pray they're not as stupid as some of the country singers they had on there...
Some of those guys didn't seem like they'd heard anything from the last two decades. [/quote]
 I'm wondering just how well the Nascar gang will do, but Trace Adkins did a decent job among the country and western folk.

DrBear

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2003, 06:48:52 PM »
I hoped that they would go from Olympic athletes to professional athletes* first.

1. I think they're a h++luva lot more athletic than, say, a drunken tub of goo like David Wells.

2. As was said, Adkins did a good job. And if you want to know how "country" can do check out a rerun of Jeff Foxworthy on Celeb Jeopardy! Wiped the floor with his foes...
Besides, I haven't seen anybody on the entire run of Osmond! who can match a few of the Clark-era Pyramid players....

EXIT, GRUMBLING ALL THE WAY.....
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

Jay Temple

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2003, 12:31:21 PM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Oct 20 2003, 05:48 PM\'] 2. If you want to know how "country" can do check out a rerun of Jeff Foxworthy on Celeb Jeopardy! Wiped the floor with his foes...

EXIT, GRUMBLING ALL THE WAY..... [/quote]
 I saw that, and what stuck out is this:  Their FJ was a moot point, because there was no bonus for winning your game at the time, and none of the players even had enough to exceed the $10,000 guarantee if they bet everything and responded correctly.  If he wiped the floor with his foes, they must have set the games up so that the three weakest players would appear together and at least appear competitive.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2003, 01:23:40 PM »
If he wiped the floor with his foes, they must have set the games up so that the three weakest players would appear together and at least appear competitive.
That is precisely what happened.  The three players were Foxworthy, known for his redneck humor, Yasmine Bleeth, known for "Baywatch", and Thomas Hayden Church, known for being the dopey mechanic on "Wings".  

I remember thinking beforehand how interesting it was that they had three celebrities whose public image was that of not necessarily being all that bright, and how they must be on Jeopardy to prove otherwise.  Instead, it was exactly as Jay guessed.  They were by far the worst three players of the week, gathered together by a sympathetic handler so that they wouldn't embarass themselves even more against capable celebrities.  Foxworthy was merely the best of a poor, poor group.

This is not meant to bash country, NASCAR, redneck humor or anything else the culturally elite want to disparage.  I can't imagine how being a NACSAR driver says anything at all about how well you may or may not play Pyramid, and the popularity of these drivers is unmistakable, so it's a perfectly logical theme for them to try.  However, using Foxworthy's Jeopardy win as an example of how smart "country" folk are is definitely a mistake.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

DrBear

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2003, 01:28:37 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Oct 21 2003, 12:23 PM\'] However, using Foxworthy's Jeopardy win as an example of how smart "country" folk are is definitely a mistake. [/quote]
 I'll grant you that one. But — even though I'm from Wisconsin — I'm still getting a bit tired of the "I'd never equate a nuclear physicist with a southern accent" mentality. And I had forgotten that Yasmine was one of the other contestants. That's the equivalent of a bye week.

J.R.

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2003, 02:26:33 PM »
[quote name=\'brianhenke\' date=\'Oct 18 2003, 04:34 PM\'] We want some more pro wrestling (STILL) and NASCAR questions! [/quote]
 Theese might not be NASCAR questions, but at least your getting some NASCAR celebs !

-Joe R.
-Joe Raygor

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2003, 03:02:07 PM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Oct 21 2003, 10:28 AM\'] I'll grant you that one. But — even though I'm from Wisconsin — I'm still getting a bit tired of the "I'd never equate a nuclear physicist with a southern accent" mentality. And I had forgotten that Yasmine was one of the other contestants. That's the equivalent of a bye week. [/quote]
 So you don't like people assuming someone with a Southern accent is stupid, but you don't mind making the same assumption of the incredibly attractive?

I'd have thought that this all would have been nipped in the bud the very first week they did Celebrity J!, when Cheech Marin, pre-"Nash Bridges", kicked more ass then your average donkey. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2003, 03:49:39 PM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' date=\'Oct 20 2003, 12:23 PM\'] I don't which bothers me more, that they're doing it at all or that they think it's sweeps-worthy.  I hoped that they would go from Olympic athletes to professional athletes* first.

*Feel free to debate the definition of an athlete.  Specifically, I was referring to baseball, football, etc.  I would certainly include tennis players, golf players and bicyclists, but not race car drivers.  I would put them in a different category, which I call sportsmen (intended as gender-inclusive).  I'm not sure where I would put hunters or archers. [/quote]
 And in your opinion, Mr. Country Club, just what is sweeps-worth for a show that hovers around a 2.0 in the ratings?  Surely isn't Kobe Byrant.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2003, 04:11:54 PM »
I'm still getting a bit tired of the "I'd never equate a nuclear physicist with a southern accent" mentality.
Agreed.  My father, born and raised in the hills of East Tennessee, was in fact a nuclear physicist.  He was responsible for the production and distribution of rare isotopes of various elements.  The only other person in the world who did what he did lives in Moscow.  I do not know what sort of accent that person has, but I'm assuming Russian.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2003, 04:13:12 PM »
Is Gadabout Gaddis still alive?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

DrBear

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2003, 04:18:56 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Oct 21 2003, 02:02 PM\'] So you don't like people assuming someone with a Southern accent is stupid, but you don't mind making the same assumption of the incredibly attractive?
 [/quote]
 Aw, now, Chris (chucking you under the chin, as one might an errant child) you know better. There are plenty of intellegent, attractive people around, including all those who post on this board. (There, that oughta win me some backers!) Whether Ms. Bleeth is one of those people is, at best, a subject for debate.

Jay Temple

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2003, 03:20:54 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Oct 21 2003, 03:11 PM\']
[T]he popularity of these drivers is unmistakable, so it's a perfectly logical theme for them to try.

I'm still getting a bit tired of the "I'd never equate a nuclear physicist with a southern accent" mentality.
Agreed.  My father, born and raised in the hills of East Tennessee, was in fact a nuclear physicist.  He was responsible for the production and distribution of rare isotopes of various elements.  The only other person in the world who did what he did lives in Moscow.  I do not know what sort of accent that person has, but I'm assuming Russian. [/quote]
 As to my original question about NASCAR drivers being sweeps-worthy, I consider myself duly chastised and, more importantly, corrected.  As I think about it, they don't just "get in the car, turn left, turn left, turn left, ..."  They do in fact know how their cars operate--which is more than I could say for myself!

Matt, did your father by any chance work either in or with a facility whose location also lent its name to a country vocal group?