Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 'Opportunity' Didn't Answer...  (Read 6076 times)

uncamark

'Opportunity' Didn't Answer...
« on: October 16, 2008, 11:31:53 PM »
No big surprise here--J.D. Roth's triumphant return to on-camera work got wacked around by "NCIS" and "Opportunity Knocks" is gone after three episodes--that good old Tuesday night standby fillin of the "Dancing" recap show (and Charlie Brown, no doubt) will fill in on ABC for now:

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/C....html?rssid=193

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 04:12:39 AM »
This goes to show that when it comes to game shows these days, ABC can't get it right.  This now opens up my Tuesday nights unexpectedly.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 04:41:14 AM »
I saw some of it. It deserved to die.

WhammyGuy28

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 06:08:41 AM »
I was never convinced that it deserved to live in the first place.
"What kind of man would live in a world where there is no daring? I don't believe in taking foolish chances, but nothing can be accomplished without taking any chance at all."

-- Charles Augustus Lindberg

Offshored2007

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 09:04:37 AM »
[quote name=\'WhammyGuy28\' post=\'199916\' date=\'Oct 17 2008, 06:08 AM\']
[/quote]
Agreed, and ABC puts in its place... a freaking Dancing WIth the Stars recap show.  How about something scripted for a change?

colonial

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 09:13:01 AM »
[quote name=\'Offshored2007\' post=\'199917\' date=\'Oct 17 2008, 09:04 AM\']
[quote name=\'WhammyGuy28\' post=\'199916\' date=\'Oct 17 2008, 06:08 AM\']
[/quote]
Agreed, and ABC puts in its place... a freaking Dancing WIth the Stars recap show.  How about something scripted for a change?
[/quote]

I'm surprised ABC just doesn't air the DWTS results show at 8p ET, then lead in to a new show at 9.  The Alphabet has done a variety of shows at eight to lead in to DWTS results at 9, and the DWTS "pregame show" has been brought in the last four tournaments due to low ratings for the 8p shows (According to Jim, Cavemen, Carpoolers, Opportunity Knocks, etc.).

ABC might actually have a chance at developing a new show on Tuesday if it benefits from the DWTS leadin, although given the show's recent results on Tuesdays (losing to NCIS and The Mentalist both in overall and demo), those days may be gone.

JD

bandit_bobby

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 09:50:36 AM »
Who knows if the remaining episodes will air online...

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 09:52:31 AM »
As was pointed out earlier, Opportunity Knocks still becomes a trivia answer (and now an even more obscure one) as the only game show in the last few decades to debut as a major network's fall prime time series.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

bwood

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 10:57:47 AM »
I didn't think it was that bad of a show production wise, but like everyone said nobody cares about the personalized trivia outside of the people who know the familes involved.

Do you think the show would have lasted longer had they made it into some sort of straight general knowledge/pop culture trivia quiz (for play along value) with some other things thrown in like some Finders Keepers type elements and maybe a few personalized questions? For the kids they could have adjusted the material for their grade level, etc.

I think the whole "game show on your street" is a pretty good idea, but not when they ask questions about the name of Grandma's cat.

bandit_bobby

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008, 12:43:46 PM »
Does anyone think "Hole in the Wall" is going to get the same fate within the next few days?

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2008, 12:50:46 PM »
I understand the appeal of a Yakov Smirnoff Game Show (game show flies to you, game show studies your trivia), but it's never going to be a tv-friendly appeal.  While you could sorta play along with your family asking similar questions, there's no real connection between you on the couch and the people on the screen.

It's like the Bingo America audience game.  Great for people going to visit the LA area, but not so good for someone stuck somewhere else.
This signature is currently under construction.

BrandonFG

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2008, 12:52:20 PM »
[quote name=\'bwood\' post=\'199921\' date=\'Oct 17 2008, 10:57 AM\']
I didn't think it was that bad of a show production wise, but like everyone said nobody cares about the personalized trivia outside of the people who know the familes involved.

Do you think the show would have lasted longer had they made it into some sort of straight general knowledge/pop culture trivia quiz (for play along value) with some other things thrown in like some Finders Keepers type elements and maybe a few personalized questions? For the kids they could have adjusted the material for their grade level, etc.

I think the whole "game show on your street" is a pretty good idea, but not when they ask questions about the name of Grandma's cat.
[/quote]
I thought it was a cute enough show, but maybe as a Saturday morning show. The go to your house elements was actually kinda clever, maybe even innovative, but like you said, the personal questions thing took away a lot of fun.

I would've considered making it neighbors against one another, but then again, I'd hate to see the aftermath...

"Can I borrow a cup of sugar?"
-"I dunno, you seem to have money and that new car...why don't you buy a bag yourself."
"But..."
-"Off my lawn!"
(slam)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 12:52:31 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

MizzouRah!

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2008, 05:58:44 PM »
I read 5 addt'l shows are completed. Do you think ABC would be hard-hearted(aka cheap) and tell the kids they don't get their prizes because the eps never aired?

rigsby

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2008, 06:37:22 PM »
I'm sure ABC will have plenty of other open timeslots later this season in which they can burn off the remaining eps.

TroubadourNando

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2008, 11:08:14 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'199927\' date=\'Oct 17 2008, 12:52 PM\']

I would've considered making it neighbors against one another, but then again, I'd hate to see the aftermath...

"Can I borrow a cup of sugar?"
-"I dunno, you seem to have money and that new car...why don't you buy a bag yourself."
"But..."
-"Off my lawn!"
(slam)
[/quote]

Just ask Regis Philbin about how ugly that could end up being. He knows.