Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wait Wait Don't Tell Me  (Read 4729 times)

colonial

Wait Wait Don't Tell Me
« on: September 06, 2008, 08:13:53 PM »
CBS will reportedly produce a pilot for a TV version of the NPR radio news quiz "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me"...

http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowlDC/radi..._show_93640.asp

JD

Matt Ottinger

Wait Wait Don't Tell Me
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 11:55:50 PM »
The vital key (aside from keeping Sagal and Kassel, which is promised in the memo) is having panelists who know what they're doing, which is why Sagal draws from a relatively small group of people, only a couple of whom would be recognizable to a mainstream television audience.  Let's see if the TV people can pull that off.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Wait Wait Don't Tell Me
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 12:01:48 AM »
The problem is that there's even less "game" to an hour of Wait Wait than there is in a half of Whose Line? It works because the game doesn't hold things together, it's the comedy. If they start offering earnest money or prizes to the folks at home and the weekly winner, they've missed the mark.
Travis L. Eberle

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Wait Wait Don't Tell Me
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 02:49:22 AM »
This puts National Public Radio in the business of producing commercial television programs. Your tax dollars at work.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Wait Wait Don't Tell Me
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 03:25:34 AM »
Seeing as I'd rather have something intelligent like Wait! Wait! instead of Dr. Phil's Spinoff Of A Spinoff Featuring His Gardener, I'll consider it a tax dollar well spent.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Craig Karlberg

Wait Wait Don't Tell Me
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 04:48:08 AM »
I just don't see how a public entity like NPR is gonna work with a private entity like CBS Enterprises to pull this off.  Since NPR's not obligated to finance it, they'll let CBS handle that.  But, then again, a traditionalist wouldn't mind seeing Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me on TV as long as I first check out the NPR version  as far as how the format's gonna translate to TV.

Turning radio quiz shows into TV game shows is nothing new, except it's been so long(at least 50 years) that not too many people even remember when the last time THAT happened.  The most famous one I know of is Truth or Consequences.

DrBear

Wait Wait Don't Tell Me
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 05:54:21 AM »
I just worry this will work about as well as the attempt to make "Whad'Ya Know?" a TV show.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

TimK2003

Wait Wait Don't Tell Me
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 09:45:23 AM »
Just as long as Paula Poundstone is not one of the regular panelists for the TV version, I'll be happy.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 09:45:57 AM by TimK2003 »

clemon79

Wait Wait Don't Tell Me
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 01:37:28 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'196375\' date=\'Sep 7 2008, 06:45 AM\']
Just as long as Paula Poundstone is not one of the regular panelists for the TV version, I'll be happy.[/quote]
I'd bet you money that if this did go to series, you'd see a lot of her *and* Mo Rocca.

Clay Zambo

Wait Wait Don't Tell Me
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2008, 03:28:02 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'196365\' date=\'Sep 7 2008, 02:49 AM\']
This puts National Public Radio in the business of producing commercial television programs. Your tax dollars at work.
[/quote]

Nope.  From the story: "NPR is not financing the television production, and the pilot and any subsequent episodes will be produced independently from the radio show."
czambo@mac.com

uncamark

Wait Wait Don't Tell Me
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 01:17:02 PM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' post=\'196390\' date=\'Sep 7 2008, 02:28 PM\']
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'196365\' date=\'Sep 7 2008, 02:49 AM\']
[/quote]

Nope.  From the story: "NPR is not financing the television production, and the pilot and any subsequent episodes will be produced independently from the radio show."
[/quote]

However, they are involved financially, since the title is their trademark (and I assume they own the copyright) and whoever the producer of record is will have to pay them to license the title and format from them.  I do recall that when "Wait, Wait..." started, NPR said that they were hoping for an eventual TV version and licensing opportunties.

There is a precedent, because WBEZ/Chicago Public Radio is listed as a co-producer of Showtime's TV version of "This American Life."  Like NPR with "Wait, Wait..." they own the radio series and the title is their trademark.  They do own an office and studio facility in Brooklyn that was started for New York-based staff members and now is the show's home base, since Ira Glass and some of his Chicago staff moved to NY to be near the TV show's dedicated production staff.  So WBEZ money is involved, but "This American Life" is fully-funded outside of the government, so taxpayers don't have to worry.

On the other hand, it seems like NPR never approved the "Car Talk" guys' PBS cartoon that ran this past summer--the "Car Talk" name was never used and the coffee mugs Click and Clack had in their radio studio had the PBS logo on them (but PBS doesn't do radio).  They also changed the first name of a character that punned off of reporter Nina Totenberg's name from "Nina" to "Beth Totenbag" (and unfortunately, the level of the show's humor wasn't much better, despite the presence of Tom Minton as a writer).  Carl Cassel did do a cameo voice appearance as a newscaster (typecasting).
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 01:18:24 PM by uncamark »

Chief-O

Wait Wait Don't Tell Me
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 01:39:27 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'196494\' date=\'Sep 8 2008, 12:17 PM\']
On the other hand, it seems like NPR never approved the "Car Talk" guys' PBS cartoon that ran this past summer--the "Car Talk" name was never used and the coffee mugs Click and Clack had in their radio studio had the PBS logo on them (but PBS doesn't do radio).[/quote]

I do recall seeing a "CAR TALK" license plate in their studio, but yeah, it seemed they didn't want the show to draw attention to the radio show.

I just worry this will work about as well as the attempt to make "Whad'Ya Know?" a TV show.

WYK? is not as "photogenic". The quiz only makes up 1/4 of the show. The interviews are mostly phoners. There wouldn't be too much to see with Feldman doing All the News that Isn't or Thanks for the Memos. Same goes for seeing John and Jeff's musical interludes. "Wait Wait" seems easier to pull off as a TV show.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 01:40:05 PM by Chief-O »
.....and it goes like this!!!

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Wait Wait Don't Tell Me
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2008, 05:47:33 PM »
However, they are involved financially, since the title is their trademark (and I assume they own the copyright) and whoever the producer of record is will have to pay them to license the title and format from them. I do recall that when "Wait, Wait..." started, NPR said that they were hoping for an eventual TV version and licensing opportunties.
It appears that the radio show is produced by NPR and not an independent producer. If it were produced by, say, Sande Stewart, it wouldn't be a paradox. I would assume that CPB-funded (taxpayers like you) NPR is licensing the title and format to CBS or whomever is producing it for CBS.

clemon79

Wait Wait Don't Tell Me
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2008, 07:48:21 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'196565\' date=\'Sep 8 2008, 02:47 PM\']
It appears that the radio show is produced by NPR[/quote]
...and Chicago Public Radio, in association with Urgent Haircut Productions: Doug Berman, executive producer.

/big fan
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 07:48:32 PM by clemon79 »

uncamark

Wait Wait Don't Tell Me
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2008, 04:55:56 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'196593\' date=\'Sep 8 2008, 06:48 PM\']
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'196565\' date=\'Sep 8 2008, 02:47 PM\']
It appears that the radio show is produced by NPR[/quote]
...and Chicago Public Radio, in association with Urgent Haircut Productions: Doug Berman, executive producer.

/big fan
[/quote]

And *there's* a production company with possiblities in its logo.

(Overhead shot of person's head--in time-lapse photography, razor and clippers form words "Urgent Haircut Productions" on top of head.)

(Cut to CBS Entertainment logo, followed by NPR and CPR logos on one page, all while Marg Helgenberger's voice says "Follow the clues on an all-new 'CSI'--CBS next.")

Yeah, I'm already predicting a time slot (between "Survivor"s).