Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game shows and you  (Read 26705 times)

The Pyramids

Game shows and you
« on: July 26, 2008, 07:18:42 PM »
How close have you gotten to game shows besides watching them? For me I met Peter Marshal at a book signing event, dubbed & sent a tape of 'Family Feuds' to Gene Woods daughter and got to see Bob Barker at work during a 'TPIR' taping in '03.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 07:52:21 PM by PaulD »

Winkfan

Game shows and you
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 07:46:34 PM »
How close have you gotten to game shows besides watching them?

I may have already mentioned this before, but in my cases (and there have been many):

I've attended tapings of Press Your Luck (1985), Card Sharks (1987), Match Game (1998), and Family Feud (2006)

I've talked on the phone with two "one-show wonders:" Mark Richards (Starcade) and Dave Hull (Matchmaker).

I dared myself to e-mail the Winkster and ask him why he wasn't on Match Game '7x as a guest, and he responded by saying he "wasn't invited." I also got a couple of e-mails from one of Bill Leyden's now-grown-up kids

And I hope that any of the Game Show Congress shindigs, including the one I attended (my first) last year, count. If not, forgive me.

Cordially,
Tammy
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 10:38:15 PM by Winkfan »
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

pacdude

Game shows and you
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 07:50:41 PM »
I've been on Jep! and Wheel of Fortune and I was interviewed for Ken Jennings' first book, Brainiac. That's about it, I think.

Chief-O

Game shows and you
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 07:54:51 PM »
I've seen tapings of some of the local university's game shows. I've met "Name That Tune" vocalist Steve March Torme. [no, I didn't mention the show---this was after a baseball history lecture]
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 07:56:02 PM by Chief-O »
.....and it goes like this!!!

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Game shows and you
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 08:19:34 PM »
[quote name=\'Winkfan\' post=\'192169\' date=\'Jul 26 2008, 06:46 PM\']
And I hope that any of the Game Show Congress shindigs count. If not, forgive me.
[/quote]
What she said.

Otherwise, I've attended two TPiR tapings (the 9/23/04 and 10/5/06 eps) and a J! taping (the 9/10-9/12/07 eps) in L.A., and saw two eps of WoF (5/8-5/9/08) tape in Chicago.  And I met Chuck Barris at a book signing in L.A.

Plus a dinner with Randy West and Chris C.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 08:20:54 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

ClockGameJohn

Game shows and you
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 08:21:19 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'192172\' date=\'Jul 26 2008, 08:19 PM\']
[/quote]

You haven't made a name for yourself until you do a full day's worth of meals with Chris C.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Game shows and you
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2008, 08:22:53 PM »
[quote name=\'ClockGameJohn\' post=\'192173\' date=\'Jul 26 2008, 07:21 PM\']
You haven't made a name for yourself until you do a full day's worth of meals with Chris C.
[/quote]
I wouldn't want to subject him to that kind of punishment.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

bscripps

• Button-Pushing Monkey
Game shows and you
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2008, 08:24:15 PM »
I was a fill-in announcer and judge on a college game show, and I appeared as a contestant on another.

When I was eight years old, on the family vacation to California, we did the NBC tour, where I saw the "Blockbusters" board in the prop storage area.  Later that day, we saw a taping of "Battlestars".  Fuzzy memories, indeed.
Ben Scripps. Professional button-pushing monkey.

whewfan

Game shows and you
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2008, 08:29:10 PM »
As for me...

Saw 4 TPIR tapings

First one was sometime during season 29. In this taping, Bob let a college student point at the wheel while explaining the rules

Second one was aired Halloween during the 30th season.

Third taping, I went with Brian and JeNae, during the 32nd year. Randy West announced, and little did we know that show would be the last show he announced. Dan Rosen announced for the next set of shows.

Fourth taping- Bob's last show

Also saw the last 2 Jeopardy! eps to have the original dollar figures, but we didn't know that at the time. Someone did ask about whether the dollar figures would be raised, and Alex answered "we're thinking about it... but not that much"

Saw 3 tapings of Card Sharks 2001... yep, there's 90+ minutes of my life I'll never get back! (It looked better in person than it did on TV)

Saw 3 tapings of HS also in 2001. The guests included Greg Proops, Jack Hanna, Whoopi (of course), Debbie Reynolds (who seemed awfully lost)

Met Randy West at NBC when he was announcing for Supermarket Sweep. Great times!

vtown7

Game shows and you
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2008, 08:30:16 PM »
I've been lucky enough to see a few tapings up close, having been a contestant on Wheel of Fortune, Inside the Box and Brain Battle (the last two being Canadian game shows).

For sitting in the audience...

US - TPIR x2, J!
France - Questions pour un champion
UK - Liar!, The Weakest Link
Canada - Reach for the top Provincials x3, Are you smarter than a Canadian Fifth Grader, Le Cercle... and if we're stretching a bit... Canadian Idol x2, How do you solve a problem like Maria? x3

I've also...

*taken a boat tour around Fort Boyard in La Rochelle, France
*attended GSC4 in '05 where I met other former contestants - Bob Harris was especially a hoot
*was a member of a "Chiffres et Lettres" club when living overseas.
*met Phil Koeghan at a book signing

I think one of the best experiences was at Questions just because the production staff found it very bizarre that seven north American students wanted to see their show, and at that time, it wasn't available on tv in the US or Canada.

Cheers

Ryan :)

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
Game shows and you
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2008, 08:35:14 PM »
I've been a contestant on The Price is Right.

I've also had a phone conversation with Herbert Stempel.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 08:35:58 PM by DoorNumberFour »
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

BrandonFG

Game shows and you
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2008, 08:36:01 PM »
[quote name=\'ClockGameJohn\' post=\'192173\' date=\'Jul 26 2008, 08:21 PM\']
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'192172\' date=\'Jul 26 2008, 08:19 PM\']
[/quote]

[/quote]
Well, that's my claim to fame then (April 2008). Great afternoon spent with great people, and I look forward to doing so again.

Also spoke on the phone with Bob Boden and Roger Dobkowitz.

ETA: I also won a lime green Nickelodeon hat at a live show in December 1993. I won by knowing that Moira Quirk was co-host on "Guts".
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 08:47:08 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

DrBear

Game shows and you
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2008, 08:44:29 PM »
I saw the Bob Eubanks "wheel of fortune live" tour that GSN sponsored in the 90s (don't remember the exact year but it was when Winnie was still the logo). Have interviewed a few celebs who have been on various game shows (notably ex-HS2 exec. producer Henry Winkler). Oh, and Mark DeCarlo, but, of course, Freakin' Studs.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

tvwxman

Game shows and you
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2008, 08:52:52 PM »
Great question.

Thanks to my on-air television career, I've met and interviewed numerous hosts and producers. Some of them I now consider friends. Some of them even take my phone calls.

I've written and produced 2 half hour "Behind the Scenes" programs on game shows (Okay, one's "Jeopardy", and the other was "American Idol". Close enough). Both were nominated for local Emmy's. Both lost.

Worked behind the scenes on a pilot that did not get picked up for Bravo network, and worked heavily on development of another that did get picked up, Million Dollar Password.

Was a contestant on a game show (Weakest Link). Proposed marriage on said game show. Lost the game, won the girl.

Contestant on pilot runthrough of "Ken Jennings vs. Rest of the World". Lost.

Countless game show tapings. Lost every door prize raffle.

Oh, and I BOUGHT Chris C. dinner. The conversation was well worth the soup he had.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

chad1m

Game shows and you
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2008, 09:03:31 PM »
I've been on Jeopardy!, QuizBusters, Anyone Can Play, PlayMania and another local quiz bowl show High School Challenge. I work for the first online game show. I've spoken to James Caruso, Ed Toutant, Graham Elwood, Shandi Finnessey, Gary Lucy (1 vs. 100 writer), Ron Greenberg, Todd Newton and have befriended J. Keith van Straaten and Matt Ottinger. Oh, and I own a replica of the $1,000 space signed by Pat and Vanna.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 10:37:22 PM by chad1m »