Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Anyone Got That On Tape?  (Read 9926 times)

joshg

Anyone Got That On Tape?
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2008, 06:02:35 PM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'187404\' date=\'Jun 3 2008, 06:19 AM\']
Our family first got a VCR in 1986.  I used to tape Classic Concentration, and Bullseye and Play the Percentages reruns from USA.  Around '88, my mom used one of my tapes to record her soaps.  I still haven't forgiven her. :-P
[/quote]

It helped that my mom didn't know how to set the VCR, hence lots of saved tapes.
Because Chiffon Wrinkles...

Ian Wallis

Anyone Got That On Tape?
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2008, 06:11:27 PM »
We got our first VCR Christmas of 1982.  First show I remember taping was one of the early episodes of Sale of the Century, on a rare 30-minute tape (they had oddball lengths back then - 30s, 60s and 90s, in addition to the 120s; I think I even remember seeing 45-minute tapes too).

I usually made a habit of taping NBC games instead of CBS - until I saw Press Your Luck later that year, and that became a taping habit for me.

I really didn't think to save a lot of it, and tapes were a lot more expensive back then.  Considering I was just about to enter college, I didn't have extra money to spend on buying a lot of tapes at the time.

Some of the earliest stuff I saved:  the Michael Larson episodes of Press Your Luck, plus some Davidson Hollywood Sqaures episodes.  In the '90s while going through tapes, I found one with episodes of '80s Truth or Consequences and Dating Game on them which I didn't even know I had.....I believe many of you are enjoying those episodes in your collections now! :) , plus a few America's Top 10 episodes that for some reason I never erased; and also a few weather forecasts (always fascinated by the weather, and statistics relating to it).

Since then it's grown to over 2400 episodes (plus assorted clips and bits), that one day soon I hope to have all converted to DVD!
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

mcsittel

Anyone Got That On Tape?
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2008, 07:37:07 PM »
A few firsts:

First regular videotaping on our family VCR was the Pyramid/PYL/TPIR morning, and my mom would change channels for the Dream House end game for me, and I'd save off any house winners by dubbing them to our second VCR.  Oh, and both were Beta!

Once in college, I taped "Wipeout!" regularly since it came on WRAL-5 at something like 1 am.  I saved a few of those episodes-I wish I had saved more.  Ditto "Talkabout" which aired at 1 pm when I was in class.

First GS theme I *AUDIO* taped was the 5th episode of Kennedy's "Break the Bank".  I still have that tape.  It was one of those cheap-ass Certron tapes we got at Kmart.

First whole GS episode I audiotaped was a Cullen "Chain Reaction"; it didn't air in our market so the best I could do was a very fuzzy signal and listen to the NBC affiliate in Knoxville TN 90 miles down the road.  Still have that somewhere too.  

I was bummed that so many of those noontime and syndie shows never aired in our market; when I went to school at NC State I was glad WPTF-28 didn't run noon news so I could watch Super Password.  I even scheduled classes around that time so I'd be able to watch it at lunch.  Sigh...

Matt

Robert Hutchinson

Anyone Got That On Tape?
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2008, 09:10:44 PM »
I have no idea on the exact year, but I probably first started taping (nighttime) Wheel of Fortune around 1986, mainly because I was fascinated by A) the wheel spinning and B) seeing how quickly I could remember a puzzle I had taped a few months earlier. Soon after that was Double Dare, which actually had some replay value.

Although I don't know if it was ever a conscious decision, I too didn't worry about either taping shows I was missing or keeping on tape shows that I had seen a few times, because USA and Nickelodeon were always gonna have tons of game shows on!
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

TimK2003

Anyone Got That On Tape?
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2008, 09:23:29 PM »
[quote name=\'mcsittel\' post=\'187452\' date=\'Jun 3 2008, 07:37 PM\']
A few firsts:

First regular videotaping on our family VCR was the Pyramid/PYL/TPIR morning, and my mom would change channels for the Dream House end game for me, and I'd save off any house winners by dubbing them to our second VCR.  Oh, and both were Beta!
[/quote]

So it was YOU who was responsible for the "6-hour Dream House Endgame Megamix" tape copy that now sits in my collection???  :-)

Now that you opened up the can of worms that is known as first audio cassette taping...

Mine was off a Pioneer top-loading stereo cassette recorder console (I forget the model number -- I finally just threw it out about a year or so ago, but it had a long healthy life).  

I had taped the ending theme (no applause) to Barry's syndicated Break the Bank around the end of 1976 -- I still have a copy of that, now on a CD!.  

I was able to get Channel 8/WJ(K)W-TV in Cleveland at around 87.9 on the FM dial of an old Olson stereo, so I taped many of the themes that were on the 7-8p checkerboard around that time, including BtB, The Muppet Show, Candid Camera, The $128K Question and Treasure Hunt.  And then later I had taped both a Gene Wood and a Johnny Olsen intro to Double Dare as well.  Only the "Break The Bank" theme has survived for over 30 years!

Johnissoevil

Anyone Got That On Tape?
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2008, 11:21:41 PM »
Since we're going into audio taping...

For a short time in Winter 1989, I was audio taping episodes of nighttime Feud.  I used to have my radio where I could play everything in chipmunk voices.  It was hilarious playing back the show and hearing Ray say "Ifitsthereyouvestolenthebankifnottheywillplayfor$10,000Showme..."

Edited by me.  Note to self:  Proofread before you post, you big dummy!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 11:22:39 PM by Johnissoevil »
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

MizzouRah!

Anyone Got That On Tape?
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2008, 11:55:14 PM »
Wow, I guess I should feel fortunate(or old). We were always a TV family and bought our first VCR/Betamax in early '77 when I was a freshman in high school. The first tapes were around $30 each, so unfortunately we only had a few tapes which were constantly rerecorded. My first taped shows were Family Feud along w/ The Better Sex, which followed. Unfortunately none of these remain(and the Beta machine is only a memory). Somewhere in our basement storage is a tape w/ 3 original NBC Gong Shows w/o commercials. I did my own stop/start to get 3 eps into one hour. I need to track this down and find a way to get it transferred.

Jimmy Owen

Anyone Got That On Tape?
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2008, 12:04:19 AM »
Since we're drifting off video taping and onto other things....did anyone else film the TV screen with a Super 8mm camera?  I filmed a "Family Feud" opening and a "Second Chance" opening in 1977.  No sound and out of focus, though.  I did audio tape shows as well, the first one being a "$10,000 Pyramid" with Fannie Flagg and Bill Cullen from '73.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Kevin Prather

Anyone Got That On Tape?
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2008, 12:06:00 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'187465\' date=\'Jun 3 2008, 09:04 PM\']
Since we're drifting off video taping and onto other things....did anyone else film the TV screen with a Super 8mm camera?  I filmed a "Family Feud" opening and a "Second Chance" opening in 1977.  No sound and out of focus, though.  I did audio tape shows as well, the first one being a "$10,000 Pyramid" with Fannie Flagg and Bill Cullen from '73.
[/quote]
Man, you pioneered the point-and-shoot? Get out of here.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 12:06:13 AM by whoserman »

Jimmy Owen

Anyone Got That On Tape?
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2008, 12:18:12 AM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' post=\'187466\' date=\'Jun 4 2008, 12:06 AM\']
[/quote]
Man, you pioneered the point-and-shoot? Get out of here.
[/quote]

Oh, my what have I done?? :)  

Also, there's a picture of me opening presents on Christmas morning circa late '60's with the category board for Fleming J! clearly visible on our B&W TV.

Jay Temple

Anyone Got That On Tape?
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2008, 12:37:14 AM »
first audio: a $10KP in 1975
For a time, before I had a VCR, I had a timer and tape recorder set up to record Clark25 every morning.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Jumpondees

Anyone Got That On Tape?
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2008, 12:38:18 AM »
Only because I was never home to watch it as it aired, and I never overtaped or got rid of any tapes...I think I have the first 4 full seasons of Bergeron's Squares on tape as well as (and I'm almost embarrased to admit this) the full run of MG 98

petek66

Anyone Got That On Tape?
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2008, 02:04:43 AM »
I also did the light timer/tape recorder setup to audiotape Family Feud around 1977 or so (age 11) while I was in school. I still have one of those tapes that had an exceptionally good Fast Money. Awhile back I missed catching the episode on GSN by one day. The flipside of the tape has a Name That Tune (Kennedy).  I started video taping in '83 with $25K Pyramid, but saving tapes for collectability never occurred to me.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Anyone Got That On Tape?
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2008, 02:49:51 AM »
Since we're drifting off video taping and onto other things....did anyone else film the TV screen with a Super 8mm camera?[/quote]
No, but I did sit in front of the TV with a stone tablet and a chisel once.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 02:50:13 AM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jimmy Owen

Anyone Got That On Tape?
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2008, 03:49:51 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'187476\' date=\'Jun 4 2008, 02:49 AM\']
Since we're drifting off video taping and onto other things....did anyone else film the TV screen with a Super 8mm camera?[/quote]
No, but I did sit in front of the TV with a stone tablet and a chisel once.
[/quote]

Ahh.. You must have been a fan of "The Prize is Priced." :)