Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Anyone Got That On Tape?  (Read 9952 times)

TimK2003

Anyone Got That On Tape?
« on: June 02, 2008, 11:02:20 PM »
Plain 'n' Simple:

What was the first game show that you taped on a regular basis?

For me:  Late 1983, it was Press Your Luck as the first game show I taped on our new G.E. VCR (with a corded remote control!!!), and the only one I had taped on a regular basis as it was a great game to play at home if you had a remote control with pause.

Of course, whether or not I had 'beaten' the other 3 contestants, I only saved the episode if it was a memorable show.  Otherwise, I would tape over the shows I had seen.  (25 years ago VCR tapes were about $2.00 EACH!)

Others???
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 11:03:23 PM by TimK2003 »

BrandonFG

Anyone Got That On Tape?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 11:11:53 PM »
I remember trying to tape a "Scrabble" rerun off USA c. 1992, and a summer series called "The Hollywood Game". I think the oldest thing I actually have is a Doug Davidson TPiR. One of these days, I'll get a DVD/VCR combo and check through my tapes...
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

ChuckNet

Anyone Got That On Tape?
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 11:21:05 PM »
I taped a bunch Pitfall eps off WLIG (Ch. 55, now WLNY), which reran the show during its first year on the air 85-86), along w/the Cullen Pyramid...unfortunately, my mom felt I was spending too much time taping these GS eps and not enough playing outside (was only 6 at the time), so the entire batch has long since been erased.

Chuck Donegan (The Still-Feeling-The-Loss "Chuckie Baby")

Johnissoevil

Anyone Got That On Tape?
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 11:40:37 PM »
I didn't start taping game shows until I got GSN in 1997.  I never thought to tape game shows before that time.  Little did I know back then what treasures I'd probably never see again in reruns.
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

Chief-O

Anyone Got That On Tape?
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 11:50:01 PM »
I actually didn't tape anything much until the ESPN Classic "Sports Challenge" reruns several years ago. The tapes, sadly, are long gone.
.....and it goes like this!!!

Kevin Prather

Anyone Got That On Tape?
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 12:01:26 AM »
The first taping I did was the New Year's Eve week of Win Ben Stein's Money back in '99, but the first series I recorded really regularly was Millionaire.

William_S.

Anyone Got That On Tape?
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 12:22:22 AM »
Mine was The Joker's Wild 1990 on USA. It was only one episode that I recorded it on my Weinerville tape. But it's been long gone when I decided to tape other stuff. Others I did were a Swedish (international tourney) episode of Jeopardy! and like TJW90 that was erased. At that point I haven't thought that much into recording or into Game Shows until around 1997. Until 2001, I got GSN and started a batch of Game Show recordings.

pyrfan

Anyone Got That On Tape?
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 12:25:30 AM »
We got our first VCR in January of 1986, and I would set it to tape "The $25,000 Pyramid" and "Super Password" every day while I was at school. It was great to be able to come home, rewind the tape, and play along with those great games.

Brendan

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
Anyone Got That On Tape?
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 12:34:38 AM »
Ninja Warrior, although my dad taped American Gladiators when it moved to  ungodly hours.

I sort of god the idea from my dad that you only recorded stuff you would miss and then dispose of afterwards.
This signature is currently under construction.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Anyone Got That On Tape?
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 12:37:15 AM »
Got my own personal VCR the season before TPiR's 25th...I remember recording episodes and always seeing this crappy game called "Split Decision"...
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Chelsea Thrasher

Anyone Got That On Tape?
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2008, 01:22:14 AM »
I'm comparatively new to the recording game compared to you guys  - started taping TPiR in March 2001.

CarbonCpy

Anyone Got That On Tape?
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2008, 01:58:16 AM »
Idiot Savants.

Those tapes, like my dignity and self respect, have long since disappeared.

(gawd i miss that show)

snowpeck

Anyone Got That On Tape?
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2008, 02:53:10 AM »
Liked game shows in my youth, but unfortunately didn't tape any.  I didn't discover how big of a fan I was until Comcast did a sneak preview of GSN in summer 1998.  When they added GSN to the lineup the following April, began taping Match Game 7x and Super Password.

Greg
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

Allstar87

Anyone Got That On Tape?
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2008, 04:09:02 AM »
I regularly taped Legends of the Hidden Temple in 1993. Also taped a Nick Arcade or two. Most of the tapes have vanished, but a scant few have managed to survive to this day.

After Legends was done making new episodes, I stopped regularly taping game shows until mid-2001.

Craig Karlberg

Anyone Got That On Tape?
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2008, 04:31:40 AM »
When we had satelitte TV back in the late 1980's, my first game show taping may've been Strike It Rich.  Sometines, I sneak a blank tape of mine in my stepbrother's VCR back then & either played it back there or down in the basment.  As for the first regular taping, it had to be High Rollers(Wink Martindale version).  I did sneak in some Remote Control s Turn It Up! shows from MTV.  The most episodes off of one show was TPIR with Millionaire a bit behind.  After 2002, all taping ceased because some of my tapes weren't playing right(probably blame it on the VCR).  Sadly, hardly any of my tapes are either gone or hidden away in a storage dreawer.  If I get a DVR for the basement, TPIR will certainly return to regular taping.