Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Moment of Truth" solicited me  (Read 4054 times)

Lars

"Moment of Truth" solicited me
« on: March 08, 2008, 02:10:39 PM »
Yesterday I returned a call from an agent for Moment of Truth, and she said I had been selected as a possible contestant for the show.  She also told me that the jackpot was half a million, and so I told her that I was definitely interested and set up an appointment for an interview on Wednesday, March 12.  I told her that I had heard about the show on Good Day L.A. and thought it sounded interesting, but I haven't watched it yet.  She told me to go to fox.com to find an episode to watch because I should see the show before considering going on.  She emailed me a questionnaire to fill out, and it requires me to name three local friends plus a family member.  I called my best local friend, and he told me not to go on under any circumstances.  I feel, however, that I could possibly go on and stop after just a few questions and not get greedy.  Of course I would not want anyone in my family to know that I would be on - do you think they would find out, other than the ones I tell?

I'm going to go to the interview in any case because I think that part might be interesting, and perhaps they can suggest a different show for me.  They called me because I had been picked to be part of the Mob on One vs 100, and I went to that taping (which was the very first one for that show), and they made me wait an entire day before telling me I would have to be in the audience for the last taping of the day and then come back the next day (Sunday) to be part of the mob.  I decided that that was a waste of time and didn't return.  On the way back to my car, I heard other mob members saying how disappointed they were because all the contestants on the first day opted out, and no mob member won any money at all.

Would you advise me to turn down this offer, or do you think there is a possibility of winning at least a few thousand dollars?

Kevin Prather

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 04:07:07 PM »
The idea behind "Moment of Truth" is that they will hook you up to a polygraph before the show, ask you about 50 very personal questions, some more than others, and then choose the 21 questions with the juiciest answers to ask you on the show.

If you're absolutely okay with having your dirtiest laundry shown on national television, then give it a shot. Otherwise, go for something a little more unintrusive.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 04:08:10 PM by whoserman »

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 04:14:25 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' post=\'180541\' date=\'Mar 8 2008, 03:07 PM\']
a little more unintrusive.
[/quote]

Suggestions for things a little less unintrusive intrusive than Moment of Truth: (fixed that for you - CMC)
  • A rectal examination. Outside. In the winter.
  • Having your house raided by the police
  • Posting your social security number on every forum on the internet, past or present
  • Appearing on Numberwang
  • Joning a nudist colony and building a glass house.
  • Sharing your family's secret gazpacho recipe
  • Finding hay in a needlestack
All are better choices than that absolute farce of a show.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 09:57:50 PM by chris319 »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 04:24:17 PM »
Not only would your family find out you're gonna be on the show, they will be on the show with you.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 04:44:58 PM »
[quote name=\'Lars\' post=\'180531\' date=\'Mar 8 2008, 11:10 AM\']
She told me to go to fox.com to find an episode to watch because I should see the show before considering going on.[/quote]
Best. Advice. EVAR.
I called my best local friend, and he told me not to go on under any circumstances. I feel, however, that I could possibly go on and stop after just a few questions and not get greedy.
Yeah, you're EXACTLY the sort of contestant they're looking for.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tvwxman

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 05:23:20 PM »
Following Cap't Lemon's advice...and reading your honest thoughts about this, I can most assuredly tell you that they probably called a LOT of people, and they're probably going to listen to you tell themselves about you, and they're probably not going to call you to be a contestant.

They are looking high and low for people with 2 things : a, a lot of dirty laundry, and b, someone who has the desire to share said dirty laundry on national television, with their family sitting right there.

You seem to have morals, a good thing indeed, but as a result, you won't be picked to be a contestant.

If, however, I'm wrong (and I have been before), let us know and we'll help some more!
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

clemon79

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 05:30:34 PM »
I dunno, the vibe I get is that (b), at least, doesn't seem to be much of a problem.

He might not have enough of (a) to be interesting, but when you say "hey, I can air SOME of it in the name of a few thousand dollars", that, to me, does not indicate superior moral judgment.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 05:31:24 PM by clemon79 »

tvwxman

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 05:40:01 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'180547\' date=\'Mar 8 2008, 05:30 PM\']
I dunno, the vibe I get is that (b), at least, doesn't seem to be much of a problem.

He might not have enough of (a) to be interesting, but when you say "hey, I can air SOME of it in the name of a few thousand dollars", that, to me, does not indicate superior moral judgment.
[/quote]
Agreed, but the fact that he says 'some' already puts him behind the clodhoppers they've aired on the show, who seemed to be ready to air 'all'.

They've got a new 13 ep order. They'll absolutely find 13 less scrupulous people than him.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Lars

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2008, 08:21:12 PM »
I think I've pretty much decided that this show is not for me.  I had to get some info from others because I had not seen the show - only heard about it, but once I did more research, it appeared to be somewhat of a sleaze show, and I have no interest in that.  Even the questionnaire that they sent me was a bit too intrusive, and other friends have advised me to forgo this show.

I'm wondering if I should still go to the interview because I would like to be considered for other shows.  Or should I just send an email back saying that after getting more information about the show I'm not interested.  I still wonder if I could go on an maybe answer just a few harmless questions and get a bit of cash.  I'm definitely not interesting in doing anything that would be humiliating to any of my friends or family, but I'm afraid that to get on in the first place would be a humiliating experience, and I'm not willing to put my friends and family through that.  Still, I don't have anything else in particular to do on Wednesday, and Studio City is a short drive.

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 09:55:38 PM »
[quote name=\'Lars\' post=\'180564\' date=\'Mar 8 2008, 08:21 PM\']I still wonder if I could go on an maybe answer just a few harmless questions and get a bit of cash.[/quote]
I'll freely admit that I haven't seen the show, either, but if the casting for it is anything like the casting for Deal or No Deal -- and the vibe I've gotten here is that yes, it is -- they're not going to put you on if your plan is to answer "just a few questions."

clemon79

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2008, 10:26:44 PM »
I think Matt hit the nail on the head. Finding 13 more attention-whory people will be a fairly easy process.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2008, 10:57:40 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'180574\' date=\'Mar 8 2008, 10:26 PM\']
I think Matt hit the nail on the head. Finding 13 more attention-whory people will be a fairly easy process.
[/quote]
Well, more than ever, if you want to get on a game show you have to give them what they want in the audition.  So yeah, if you're planning to go in and tell them "Oh, I'll probably quit after a few questions and take my money" then you don't have a prayer.  If you decide to do it (and you still seem to be waffling), you have to go in and be the maniac they think you'll be on the air.  Once/if they pick you and the cameras are rolling, THEN you can play conservatively and go home with a few bucks.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Jay Temple

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2008, 11:08:12 PM »
[quote name=\'Lars\' post=\'180564\' date=\'Mar 8 2008, 07:21 PM\']
I think I've pretty much decided that this show is not for me.  I had to get some info from others because I had not seen the show - only heard about it, but once I did more research, it appeared to be somewhat of a sleaze show, and I have no interest in that.  Even the questionnaire that they sent me was a bit too intrusive, and other friends have advised me to forgo this show.[/quote]
Your friends are wise. Listen to them.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

TimK2003

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2008, 10:34:09 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'180575\' date=\'Mar 8 2008, 11:57 PM\']
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'180574\' date=\'Mar 8 2008, 10:26 PM\']
[/quote]
Well, more than ever, if you want to get on a game show you have to give them what they want in the audition.  So yeah, if you're planning to go in and tell them "Oh, I'll probably quit after a few questions and take my money" then you don't have a prayer.
[/quote]

Not only that, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are "getting you used to the polygraph hook-up" when they ask you how willing you are to go all the way.

If you are still looking for that 60 minutes of fame, and a possible $25K+ paycheck without all the embarassment of life-altering, personally-intrusive questions, may I suggest calling the folks at "Amnesia" for an audition?

mcsittel

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2008, 11:42:13 AM »
[quote name=\'Lars\' post=\'180564\' date=\'Mar 8 2008, 08:21 PM\']
Even the questionnaire that they sent me was a bit too intrusive.
[/quote]

OK, now I'm curious-what do they ask?